Lift out fee

Featured Posts

You don't state the full circumstances, but where has the boat been in the meantime?

Is there any chance there is also some charge included for space it has been occupying?

Edited by alan_fincher

yes new boater i would agree with you on that ...like you say pay it and be gone from there. ,they now you got to get back in the water ...there are to many rip of merchants in this boating world ...tell them you hired someone to put you back in  ,,nar best not  good luck any way 

Thank you @haza We've done the paint work ourselves and stripped it all back and they've scratch it all down one side (just one of many items). I'm gutted. We've spent every available hour at the boat working hard and i expected something but... ah well...

@bwm it was asked when we were lifted out in January. But things change as we all know especially after the financial year end.

On the face of it , outrageous.  I reckon the price isn't far off what a mobile crane would cost, but unless you have the price agreed in advance in writing I suspect this is something you will have to put down to experience.  

You could of course let us know who/where this is so others don't fall foul of these people. If you don't want to commit it to the internet just tell a few folk when you get on the cut - word gets around fast these days.

1 hour ago, new_boaterSep2017 said:

Thank you @haza We've done the paint work ourselves and stripped it all back and they've scratch it all down one side (just one of many items). I'm gutted. We've spent every available hour at the boat working hard and i expected something but... ah well...

@bwm it was asked when we were lifted out in January. But things change as we all know especially after the financial year end.

Things don't change that much! Admittedly you are captive and at their mercy, i'd have been on the verge of seeking legal advice.

At my home mooring we're not charged for the hard standing and retain the mooring at the same time.

So it costs no different to be in or out. However the dates in and out aren't flexible and fixed in stone (unless your boat suits a trailer)

A mobile crane is brought in and the cost split between all the boats coming out. It averages about £35, the same happens when all of the boats are put back 4 months later, and another £35.

The advantage of being part of a society with private moorings, but you can't go back in any earlier, and I've not known anyone staying out longer.

The funny thing is although everyone has 4 months to do the work, it's hilarious how many of them are down there a week before the crane's due back. Scenes of frantic scraping and slapping bitumen on are the order of the day. 

• Haha 1

You could have been lifted out anywhere, you chose a place that suited your needs and budget.

Now you are 'out' in their yard,

You have no option but to use them, it is their ‘bat & ball’ – sharp practice but something that is becoming more widespread – even in the cosy world of the canals.

One thing to take from this, is to sort out the price of the ‘full job’ before committing.

36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It may be that several boats were craned out so the cost was shared, but only one going back in. May be worth checking to see if anyone else is coming out or  going in over the next few weeks? 

That would make sense if it was a mobile job but £540 for a crane that's permanently on site is bordering on larceny. 

I can see why the OP is reluctant to share until they are well clear.

Yet another example of unscrupulous operators taking advantage of the inexperienced - there seems to be a lot of it about these days.

what ever you do dont name them ...as much as peeps  want to know ..dont .most know who it maybe any way ...i named someone once as a warning to others ,ended up in court ...lucky for me i won ...if i was you new boat ..draw a line under it for now .and dont let it spoil the rest of your adventure 

13 minutes ago, haza said:

what ever you do dont name them ...as much as peeps  want to know ..dont .most know who it maybe any way ...i named someone once as a warning to others ,ended up in court ...lucky for me i won ...if i was you new boat ..draw a line under it for now .and dont let it spoil the rest of your adventure 

I certainly wouldn't name anyone before a lift back in. I can't see a problem afterwards, its a price paid for a service, surely not a secret..... Or Is it.?

Company's that own a resource like a crane which is not their core activity are likely to manage that as an independent business for tax purposes.

If someone phones up wanting to hire the crane, for example at a building site then I imagine £540 would be a sensible daily rate including operator.

There would be no discount for part day booking as it would tie that day up.  It's like booking a safety certificate bod to come along to do your 4 yearly, it's cheaper per boat on the same day as you can share his travelling and time to get to you between all the boats concerned.

Tell them what you want from them and they'll charge accordingly, ask them if there are any bookings already made that you can piggy back in on, and I expect the answer to be different.

Edited by zenataomm
I finally got to the top of the queue for the toilet.

An update on the situation. My girlfriend spoke to the owner regarding the dramatic price rise. He could not give her an answer and claimed CRT charge them a fee for lift in/launch.... My girlfriend had already spoken to CRT who confirmed this is not the case and they would only charge if they were involved. 

We're at their mercy, we know they're ripping us off, they know we know, etc. I cannot wait to go tomorrow. Just hope they don't have a skinful tonight and cause us issues tomorrow. 

My girlfriend informs me we only paid £150 for the lift out fee in January. When we came to pay this is on arrival it jumped up to £180 (because suddenly VAT had not been included) but she pointed out we had been quoted £150 including VAT.  

4 hours ago, new_boaterSep2017 said:

An update on the situation. My girlfriend spoke to the owner regarding the dramatic price rise. He could not give her an answer and claimed CRT charge them a fee for lift in/launch.... My girlfriend had already spoken to CRT who confirmed this is not the case and they would only charge if they were involved. 

We're at their mercy, we know they're ripping us off, they know we know, etc. I cannot wait to go tomorrow. Just hope they don't have a skinful tonight and cause us issues tomorrow. 

My girlfriend informs me we only paid £150 for the lift out fee in January. When we came to pay this is on arrival it jumped up to £180 (because suddenly VAT had not been included) but she pointed out we had been quoted £150 including VAT.  

Should have got you're running shoes on then, when the price changed. I had a similar experience with an 'engineer' who came out to get the engine running on a boat that we had bought. After managing to eventually start the engine myself he asked for a considerable amount of money, which I couldn't cover in cash being way beyond expectations. We had also arranged for the engine to be taken out and rebuilt- a huge mistake. End result was a shoddy con job and a lesson learned!