eco-efficient-houseboatchanger this been on before?

rasputin

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So if you cruise all day today and yesterday and then want to cook lunch tomorrow how do you get the batteries back to 100%

Windmill? :judge:

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So if you cruise all day today and yesterday and then want to cook lunch tomorrow how do you get the batteries back to 100%

Waterwheel? :judge:

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Hamster? :judge:

Feck moi, WHAT a load of ecobollux spouted in that article.

"South African born Ryan, 46, says he was shocked to discover there were no boats on the market that were fully sustainable"

Well fark me sideways, I wonder why that is. Could it possibly be because it is not technically feasible? 

After £250k squandered on this vanity project I wonder how long it will take for it to appear on apolloduck for errr... £250k.

This bit impressed me especially:

"The SunFlower needs 5KW a day to run the domestic supply, so just one hour of full sun produces more than the boat’s daily domestic needs."

I didn't see "just one hour of full sun" today in October, let alone in December or January. Never mind the technical illiteracy of "5KW a day". 

I wish this sort of ecoshyte didn't exercise me so much. Huh. 

just listening to "A New Error" by Moderat. Lurvely music... chill!!

• Haha 1

With a "full sized bath" they are going to need plenty of water, which they will collect off the roof. So they need plenty of rain.  But they also need a lot of sun.  My experience of the British weather is that these two requirements tend to be mutually exclusive.

18 days without needing any sun to power their (substantial) domestic needs!

Edited by dor

That flue isn’t going to last long sticking out like that.

Solar panels are tomorrow’s toxic waste so aren’t really green.

Wood burning stoves even eco ones are very polluting locally, they create a lot of fine partical matter (especially when banked down overnight) that roughly 2.5 days worth of stove use is the equivalent of using a car for a year! I noticed it didn’t mention have a cat. converter like mandatory in some places in the US.

Edited by Robbo

I note they haven't been on the boat through a single winter yet.

The manufacture of batteries, solar panels, steel and concrete is hardly eco-friendly or sustainable in the long term either.

Surprised they didn't use ground source (water source) heating for the boat to supplement the electric under floor heating.

My mate lives on Taggs Island on a houseboat. I'll ask him to see if they are still there next year.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

Sustainable, eco, inclusive, diversity, are all examples of today's buzz words that have to included, (some, or all, and/or others), to make things seem politically correct.

Lidl are opening a new store near us in a retail warehouse that used to be PC World. In all of their publicity, they state that the building will be "sustainable". I don't know what that means in terms of a building.... most buildings will last forever, (a very long time), with the right kind of care and maintenance, so there is nothing particularly special about a warehouse described as sustainable, yet people make a big deal of it.

I equally don't know what sustainable means in relation to a boat, nor eco in relation to a fire.

If the boat cost them £250,000, how much are they going to have to sell them for to make a reasonable profit, (in order to sustain themselves)?