The green spot mystery

starman

Featured Posts

Coming down the Coventry every bridge from Tamworth (or maybe earlier) and on to Hartshill where we are now is marked with a green fluorescent dot on either face. 

The volockies at Atherstone have no idea and neither do I. 

Does anyone?

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Inspections: green => OK, orange => minor repairs needed, red => urgent repairs needed?

(pure speculation on my part)

That's not a bad thought! We will look out for orange and red. 

Surely in this day and age though you wouldnt need to spray them, just log bridge numbers and state of bridge.

I would suggest kids but i imagine they would spray a little more than just dots.

I didnt notice any when i was up harsthll last, but that was a month ago so these maybe new.

I don't know what they are for, but a man from CRT sprayed thrm into our nearest bridge.

Having seen a cyclist ride straight into a bridge, perhaps they are to make them more visible? Either that or possibly to mark out the site of repairs as they sometimes do for road repairs.

4 hours ago, starman said:

Coming down the Coventry every bridge from Tamworth (or maybe earlier) and on to Hartshill where we are now is marked with a green fluorescent dot on either face. 

The volockies at Atherstone have no idea and neither do I. 

Does anyone?

My guess is that soon we will see a 2 foot long yellow and black hazard marker surrounding this spot to prevent cyclists injuring themselves. As they approach it will flash repeatedly and a recorded voice will repeat "warning, low bridge approaching"- probably by the same voice that you want to destroy at Newark Town Lock.

Having spent hours going up the ditch that is the Coventry we worked it out. Green is where they have weed killed and cleared the side of the bridge. There are odd non towpath bits that have green dots and they have been cleared. I thought at first thread vegitation was caused by fishists..lo the rusty cans were exposed but then worked out it wasn't them when I first saw spots on bridges

Maybe it's the elf and safety elf telling you not to lick the brickwork....that's about the level they are at. " warning hot coffee is hot"

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Having spent hours going up the ditch that is the Coventry we worked it out. Green is where they have weed killed and cleared the side of the bridge. There are odd non towpath bits that have green dots and they have been cleared. I thought at first thread vegitation was caused by fishists..lo the rusty cans were exposed but then worked out it wasn't them when I first saw spots on bridges

Maybe it's the elf and safety elf telling you not to lick the brickwork....that's about the level they are at. " warning hot coffee is hot"

That sounds plausible and as for the Coventry being a 'ditch' I couldn't agree more - except most useful ditches would have a lot less sludge than the Coventry which is in a shocking state in places. 

Yep blame smell wrecker.....dark poor eyesight and dodgy iPhone screen...

i first thought the cleared vegitation was caused by fishists, because rusty beer cans were exposed. But then worked out it wasn't them when I saw the spots on bridges both towpath and non towpath sides( no need to clear veg.) the other clue is the dead brown patches in line about a meter from the bridge parallel with the bridge

59de749040d48_IMG_0433(1).jpg.041f8366222254297248eb174d4e7c28.jpgI was puzzling last week over the vertical while marks on bridges on the L&L which are not quite in the centre of the arch.  The penny dropped and I realised that they mark the centre of the actual canal rather than the bridge which of course includes the towpath.  I guess these make it easier to line up a wide beam.

Edited by Martin Megson

On 10 October 2017 at 19:34, roland elsdon said:

You take the star prize! I emailed CRT and this was their impressively quick response:

'Thank you for your enquiry regarding the dayglo dot you have seen.

These dots have been put there by our contractors to show that they have been and carried out the vegetation removal from that area...

...as they are water based they will not stain the listed structures.'

Edited by starman

43 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Years of untangling bizarre behaviour for a living.... Was that your boat at braunston today we were visiting the rubbish point at swindlers  by car as our mooring has no rubbish collection

Sounds an interesting way to earn a crust - psychologist, special needs teacher, copper...I wonder.

And, yes, we came into Braunston and managed to bag the last mooring, just by the marina exit. The place was heaving.

23 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

59de749040d48_IMG_0433(1).jpg.041f8366222254297248eb174d4e7c28.jpgI was puzzling last week over the vertical while marks on bridges on the L&L which are not quite in the centre of the arch.  The penny dropped and I realised that they mark the centre of the actual canal rather than the bridge which of course includes the towpath.  I guess these make it easier to line up a wide beam.

I wouldn't call them wide boats on the L&LC, as they are what the canal was built for, they are just boats. On traditional L&LC boats, the chimney was in the middle of the deck, next to the forward bulkhead. You just had to line the chimney up with the line on the bridge to go through without touching. The white line around bridge arches and at lock entrances was probably introduced around 1875 when regular flyboats working to a timetable day and night were introduced.