Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Naughty Cal

Not So Naughty-Cal in Norfolk

Featured Posts

It is woefully under propped as well which isn't helping. Response to the throttle is poor.

We are in no doubt that can be improved though and we can see why they do under prop them. 

It does scoot along quite well.  1500rpm is a sweet spot giving just under 6 knots and according to the engine specs should return about 1 litre per hour from the Nanni 40hp. 2000rpm it is happy with but fuel economy dives to 4 litres per hour. Sat nice at that on Breydon at 8 knots. More revs didn't really give more speed after that and the engine didn't feel as happy although it should rev up to 2800rpm this one is throttled right back to 2300rpm by the gear lever hitting the bulkhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 10:48, Naughty Cal said:

Non existent but it will be having a full refit and insulation added wherever possible.

You are so right!! insulation is something I am building into the boat at the moment along with underfloor heating. This is why I have stripped everything out of the boat its just a bare shell now. I will be even doing the floor under the pipes to try to keep the heat in. Those sliding roofs are an issue as well, if I could find a way to remove it to make it look better that would be my first move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You are so right!! insulation is something I am building into the boat at the moment along with underfloor heating. This is why I have stripped everything out of the boat its just a bare shell now. I will be even doing the floor under the pipes to try to keep the heat in. Those sliding roofs are an issue as well, if I could find a way to remove it to make it look better that would be my first move.

We have had a good dig around this boat. Plenty of room to build in additional storage and plenty of places to put lots of insulation. 

The sliding roof on this isn't too gappy. The front fits nice and snug. The back needs something but could easily have some rubbers fitted.

Doesn't take long to heat up with the sun either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have had a good dig around this boat. Plenty of room to build in additional storage and plenty of places to put lots of insulation. 

The sliding roof on this isn't too gappy. The front fits nice and snug. The back needs something but could easily have some rubbers fitted.

Doesn't take long to heat up with the sun either.

Mine has brushes at the back and seals ok ish at the front, I have multi layer insulation for everywhere I can put it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Mine has brushes at the back and seals ok ish at the front, I have multi layer insulation for everywhere I can put it!!

This has nothing at the back. The front fits very well.

Wouldn't be difficult to modify though. 

They have removed the winch systemfrom this one making the roof manual. Which is fine , it isn't difficult to pull back up.  But we are young and fit for now.  We won't be forever so the winch would have to be fitted. 

We are very surprised how dry this boat is. We expected streaming windows every morning but non so far other then a slight bit after a shower which is easily wiped up.

That is one issue we would have to remedy. No opening window in the master cabin shower room, which Liam has decided is my toilet and shower. It has a roof vent but it isn't enough. It would need either an extractor fan or the window frame modifying to take an opener. Again not a deal breaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

This has nothing at the back. The front fits very well.

Wouldn't be difficult to modify though. 

They have removed the winch systemfrom this one making the roof manual. Which is fine , it isn't difficult to pull back up.  But we are young and fit for now.  We won't be forever so the winch would have to be fitted. 

We are very surprised how dry this boat is. We expected streaming windows every morning but non so far other then a slight bit after a shower which is easily wiped up.

That is one issue we would have to remedy. No opening window in the master cabin shower room, which Liam has decided is my toilet and shower. It has a roof vent but it isn't enough. It would need either an extractor fan or the window frame modifying to take an opener. Again not a deal breaker.

I have to fit an extractor fan in the bathroom as well as it now has no opening windows anymore. I will be glad when I am at the major putting it back together again, I always knew it was going to be a long job but better not to rush and make difficult to rectify mistakes later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a great meal in Pedro's last night. Great concept and great food.

On to Horning today.

20171018_075649.jpg

20171018_193956.jpg

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have to fit an extractor fan in the bathroom as well as it now has no opening windows anymore. I will be glad when I am at the major putting it back together again, I always knew it was going to be a long job but better not to rush and make difficult to rectify mistakes later

Yes. We know it will be a long process recording one of these. Best to do it right in the first instance though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:31, Mr Norman said:

I have hired the Alpha 35 a few times from different yards. The worst one was from Alphacraft themselves. They have the engine under the mid cabin double bed and it does not make for a pleasant sleeping environment! Some yards did fit these out with the engine under the stern deck which is a much more comfortable option for whoever uses that cabin.

It's worth noting that the engine under the berth would be on shaft while the engine in the stern would be in hydraulic drive.

Phil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

It's worth noting that the engine under the berth would be on shaft while the engine in the stern would be in hydraulic drive.

Phil 

We want one with the engine where it is in this one. Under the helm. The gearbox is under the second cabin bed.

We had a nosey at a rear engined one and the layout was different with a bedroom at the back and saloon in the middle. But also access around the engine was poor compared to this layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a great meal in Pedro's last night. Great concept and great food.

On to Horning today.

20171018_075649.jpg

20171018_193956.jpg

Yes. We know it will be a long process recording one of these. Best to do it right in the first instance though.

Strip it once, remove and seal windows once, replace rotten floor and rotten interior once!!!! refit with love and care plus lots of insulation, fingers crossed electric drive works ok with lots of solar, cruise off into sunset.......................slowly :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather has been a bit pants today so no pictures.

This is our final evening and we have chosen to spend it at Sutton Staithe with a meal booked in the hotel later. We also visited Ranworth and Wayford on the way.

We are both a little sad that the holiday is drawing to a close. We have both grown quite fond of the old tub this week despite a few quirks and foibles. This one is a little too battered and bruised though. The trick now will be finding one in better condition!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×