Not So Naughty-Cal in Norfolk

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Traveller said:

You were lucky then, very. I have lived on the Broads for some years and it has always burn horrendous in season. It gets worse as the BA seem to keep losing moorings for one reason or another. It is better south than north I admit but still not great. Anyway my words can be heeded or not I am just saying think about it carefully. Pubs are having a rough time as well, the Ferry Inn at Horning having closed again I hear. The River Ant is also plagued by the sheer number of  boats that run up and down the River Ant - especially on Richardson turnaround days (which might now be nearly every day).

But its a personal choice so I'll shut-up now :-)

We have taken our own boat three times now, each time in July to get the longest days and the best of the tides for the run down the coast and back up again. Each time we have managed to moor exactly where we have wanted with both boats moored together. So we really must be very lucky on that score!

It does beg the question if it is so busy why the pubs are having a hard time!

I agree on the Ant though. It is always very busy and frustratingly narrow when you get stuck behind someone who is insistent on going very slowly leaving little chance to over take them. No doubt we will come up against this on Saturday when we are hoping to get some miles under our belts before dark :rolleyes:

Will be odd having to be moored up by dark!

ETA: A few pictures from our last trip in July 2016 with Naughty-Cal. We were a bit too lucky with the weather this time it was too hot!

The Locks Inn, Gelderstone

DSC_0919.jpg

Loddon

DSC_0959.jpg

The Ferry, Stokesby

DSC_1007.jpg

Pole Position at Coltishall Common

DSC_1053.jpg

Sutton Staithe right outside the pub again

DSC_1086.jpg

But we were glad in the end to escape the Broads and head to Southwold where there were less novice boat crews aiming for you every two minutes!

DSC_1172.jpg

DSC_1174.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

Very lucky, but where did you moor? Anyway enjoy - I will not give the Broads house room ever again, except for sailing. Too small a cruising ground and nowhere really to go in the North - the marshland has a certain charm, but the villages are not that attractive; cannot stand Wroxham and its Southend like feel. Again, South is  better with the likes of Beccles.

You will have a good trip this time of year I would think. Even the Richardsons swarm might have reduced :-)

We have a trip to Brundall to make as well now to view a boat that has just come up for sale. A bit bigger then we were initially wanting and more expensive. But it's only money :blink:

http://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/alpha-44-highliner-spitfire-642.asp

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

Very lucky, but where did you moor? Anyway enjoy - I will not give the Broads house room ever again, except for sailing. Too small a cruising ground and nowhere really to go in the North - the marshland has a certain charm, but the villages are not that attractive; cannot stand Wroxham and its Southend like feel. Again, South is  better with the likes of Beccles.

You will have a good trip this time of year I would think. Even the Richardsons swarm might have reduced :-)

I think we crossed posts. I have added some piccies to the post above of some of the places we moored.

Horses for courses. We love the Broads and if it was closer to work would certainly moor the boat there. 

You always seem to have good weather, even with your recent Scottish trip.

I have worked in Scotland on several occasions, and for a year had to go there for monthly meetings with my then boss. The weather was always good, but I have tried to have motoring holidays three time and each time the weather has been awful.

I should take note when you are going on holiday and go them. :lol:

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I have worked in Scotland on several occasions, and for a year had to go there for monthly meetings with my then boss. The weather was always good, but I have tried to have motoring holidays three time and each time the weather has been awful.

Excellent News I have a holiday booked for next week ... the same week as Naughty-Cal!

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

North Norfolk for us next week. Hope the wind drops off a bit

Not bothered about the wind. We are not on our own boat:D

Hopefully will make it a bit lively on Breydon Water for us.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Last week of July first week of August next year. Should be decent weather along the Thames.

We picked the old girl up yesterday afternoon.  It is safe to say she has had a hard season and is bearing a few war wounds but the interior is very clean and tidy and well presented.

We made it to St Bennets Abbey yesterday. Today we head across Breydon Water. 

20171014_153524.jpg

20171014_154150.jpg

20171014_182333.jpg

One unexpected problem so far is the bow cabin gets bloody hot. Going to try leaving the curtains shut today see if it keeps it a bit cooler.

1982. My dad when I took him sailing on the Broads. At the Ferry inn Stokesby, on the way back from Beccles. The boat was ''Vagabond'' the cheapest hire boat on the broads from the yard at Martham. No motor, just sails and quant pole. It was November and plenty of wind, must have been the fastest sailing boat passage across Breydon.

002.JPG

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are in the same mooring now having brunch while the engineer sorts out the engine stop solenoid. 

20171015_111150.jpg

Ah!! I dropped my lighter just along there, have a quick look please, it was a Colibri. That extention on the side of the pub used to be a small shower block. 50p a shower, didn't use it though, too cold, we stank instead.

29 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ah!! I dropped my lighter just along there, have a quick look please, it was a Colibri. That extention on the side of the pub used to be a small shower block. 50p a shower, didn't use it though, too cold, we stank instead.

The showers on this boat are really very good. We won't be stinking this week!

We still don't have a working engine stop solenoid though.  But it is easy enough to access the engine and over ride it.

Edited by Naughty Cal

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The showers on this boat are really very good. We won't be stinking this week!

We still don't have a working engine stop solenoid though.  But it is easy enough to access the engine and over ride it.

Your lucky. The Vagabond had no hot water, just a tiny sink and hand water pump tap along side a gas ring for cooking outside under the seat in the well. As for the toilet. It was in like a tea chest laid on its side midships, you had to get yer pants down outside it doubled up and reverse into it. It had a battery for a cabin light but it soon went flat, we used candles. It was good value though.  Incidentally. Thats an eel my dads holding up which he caught, we stewed it for tea.    Did you find my lighter?

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are in the same mooring now having brunch while the engineer sorts out the engine stop solenoid. 

20171015_111150.jpg

There's an interesting thatched church just across the fields if that sort of thing interests you. Quite a pleasant walk.

35 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Your lucky. The Vagabond had no hot water, just a tiny sink and hand water pump tap along side a gas ring for cooking outside under the seat in the well. As for the toilet. It was in like a tea chest laid on its side midships, you had to get yer pants down outside it doubled up and reverse into it. It had a battery for a cabin light but it soon went flat, we used candles. It was good value though.  Incidentally. Thats an eel my dads holding up which he caught, we stewed it for tea.    Did you find my lighter?

The batteries on this thing are shot. Didn't have enough in then to fire the heating up this morning and we didn't use much last night. Hoping they last a bit better for a good run today. If not engineer can come out again with some different ones!

15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The batteries on this thing are shot. Didn't have enough in then to fire the heating up this morning and we didn't use much last night. Hoping they last a bit better for a good run today. If not engineer can come out again with some different ones!

Oh well. You should have hired a traditional wooden sailing cruiser from Martham. What you ain't got you don't miss.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, NickF said:

The amount of cruising you are doing batteries really should not be an issue! I hope you get it sorted.

The batteries were much better this morning. Another long day today and again tomorrow so we should manage with them.

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The batteries were much better this morning. Another long day today and again tomorrow so we should manage with them.

Though perhaps you had used the olde worlde wind generator shown in your top photo to charge them overnight. :P

We had a nice night out in Norwich and found a brilliant Indian restaurant. Now we are just topping up with water and will shortly be back on our way towards Yarmouth. 

20171016_080724.jpg

20171016_081725.jpg

20171016_095507.jpg

20171016_161953.jpg

Liam has got to grips with the comedy handling now! Whatever you do in reverse it buggers off to port. So ignore reverse and manoeuvre in forwards. And it's a bit tail happy.  Doesn't take much to kick the R Send out.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a nice night out in Norwich and found a brilliant Indian restaurant. Now we are just topping up with water and will shortly be back on our way towards Yarmouth. 

20171016_080724.jpg

20171016_081725.jpg

20171016_095507.jpg

20171016_161953.jpg

Liam has got to grips with the comedy handling now! Whatever you do in reverse it buggers off to port. So ignore reverse and manoeuvre in forwards. And it's a bit tail happy.  Doesn't take much to kick the R Send out.

I should think that tichy little steering wheel doesn't help.  If you stop at the pub at Reedham on the way back there is a Feather factory across the fields behind. It employs hadicapped people to make all sorts of wonderful things with birds feathers, which they breed for the purpose. When I last visited there in 1972 they were making a huge model of the Houses of Parliament the ''Gas-Works''  out of Golden Eagles feathers for some rich Sheik in Arabia. They have a tea room too. It might be in the guide book. Or just ask for directions in the pub.  It might not be there anymore though.