Not So Naughty-Cal in Norfolk

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

It is woefully under propped as well which isn't helping. Response to the throttle is poor.

We are in no doubt that can be improved though and we can see why they do under prop them. 

It does scoot along quite well.  1500rpm is a sweet spot giving just under 6 knots and according to the engine specs should return about 1 litre per hour from the Nanni 40hp. 2000rpm it is happy with but fuel economy dives to 4 litres per hour. Sat nice at that on Breydon at 8 knots. More revs didn't really give more speed after that and the engine didn't feel as happy although it should rev up to 2800rpm this one is throttled right back to 2300rpm by the gear lever hitting the bulkhead.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:48, Naughty Cal said:

Non existent but it will be having a full refit and insulation added wherever possible.

You are so right!! insulation is something I am building into the boat at the moment along with underfloor heating. This is why I have stripped everything out of the boat its just a bare shell now. I will be even doing the floor under the pipes to try to keep the heat in. Those sliding roofs are an issue as well, if I could find a way to remove it to make it look better that would be my first move.

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You are so right!! insulation is something I am building into the boat at the moment along with underfloor heating. This is why I have stripped everything out of the boat its just a bare shell now. I will be even doing the floor under the pipes to try to keep the heat in. Those sliding roofs are an issue as well, if I could find a way to remove it to make it look better that would be my first move.

We have had a good dig around this boat. Plenty of room to build in additional storage and plenty of places to put lots of insulation. 

The sliding roof on this isn't too gappy. The front fits nice and snug. The back needs something but could easily have some rubbers fitted.

Doesn't take long to heat up with the sun either.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have had a good dig around this boat. Plenty of room to build in additional storage and plenty of places to put lots of insulation. 

The sliding roof on this isn't too gappy. The front fits nice and snug. The back needs something but could easily have some rubbers fitted.

Doesn't take long to heat up with the sun either.

Mine has brushes at the back and seals ok ish at the front, I have multi layer insulation for everywhere I can put it!!

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Mine has brushes at the back and seals ok ish at the front, I have multi layer insulation for everywhere I can put it!!

This has nothing at the back. The front fits very well.

Wouldn't be difficult to modify though. 

They have removed the winch systemfrom this one making the roof manual. Which is fine , it isn't difficult to pull back up.  But we are young and fit for now.  We won't be forever so the winch would have to be fitted. 

We are very surprised how dry this boat is. We expected streaming windows every morning but non so far other then a slight bit after a shower which is easily wiped up.

That is one issue we would have to remedy. No opening window in the master cabin shower room, which Liam has decided is my toilet and shower. It has a roof vent but it isn't enough. It would need either an extractor fan or the window frame modifying to take an opener. Again not a deal breaker.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

This has nothing at the back. The front fits very well.

Wouldn't be difficult to modify though. 

They have removed the winch systemfrom this one making the roof manual. Which is fine , it isn't difficult to pull back up.  But we are young and fit for now.  We won't be forever so the winch would have to be fitted. 

We are very surprised how dry this boat is. We expected streaming windows every morning but non so far other then a slight bit after a shower which is easily wiped up.

That is one issue we would have to remedy. No opening window in the master cabin shower room, which Liam has decided is my toilet and shower. It has a roof vent but it isn't enough. It would need either an extractor fan or the window frame modifying to take an opener. Again not a deal breaker.

I have to fit an extractor fan in the bathroom as well as it now has no opening windows anymore. I will be glad when I am at the major putting it back together again, I always knew it was going to be a long job but better not to rush and make difficult to rectify mistakes later

We had a great meal in Pedro's last night. Great concept and great food.

On to Horning today.

20171018_075649.jpg

20171018_193956.jpg

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have to fit an extractor fan in the bathroom as well as it now has no opening windows anymore. I will be glad when I am at the major putting it back together again, I always knew it was going to be a long job but better not to rush and make difficult to rectify mistakes later

Yes. We know it will be a long process recording one of these. Best to do it right in the first instance though.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:31, Mr Norman said:

I have hired the Alpha 35 a few times from different yards. The worst one was from Alphacraft themselves. They have the engine under the mid cabin double bed and it does not make for a pleasant sleeping environment! Some yards did fit these out with the engine under the stern deck which is a much more comfortable option for whoever uses that cabin.

It's worth noting that the engine under the berth would be on shaft while the engine in the stern would be in hydraulic drive.

Phil 

51 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

It's worth noting that the engine under the berth would be on shaft while the engine in the stern would be in hydraulic drive.

Phil 

We want one with the engine where it is in this one. Under the helm. The gearbox is under the second cabin bed.

We had a nosey at a rear engined one and the layout was different with a bedroom at the back and saloon in the middle. But also access around the engine was poor compared to this layout.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a great meal in Pedro's last night. Great concept and great food.

On to Horning today.

20171018_075649.jpg

20171018_193956.jpg

Yes. We know it will be a long process recording one of these. Best to do it right in the first instance though.

Strip it once, remove and seal windows once, replace rotten floor and rotten interior once!!!! refit with love and care plus lots of insulation, fingers crossed electric drive works ok with lots of solar, cruise off into sunset.......................slowly :rolleyes:

The weather has been a bit pants today so no pictures.

This is our final evening and we have chosen to spend it at Sutton Staithe with a meal booked in the hotel later. We also visited Ranworth and Wayford on the way.

We are both a little sad that the holiday is drawing to a close. We have both grown quite fond of the old tub this week despite a few quirks and foibles. This one is a little too battered and bruised though. The trick now will be finding one in better condition!

Handed Viscount back this morning and we are now on Naughty-Cal heading into Lincoln.

20171021_073853.jpg

20171021_073944.jpg

20171021_083049.jpg

Have to say the yard were very efficient at getting us on our way home and handling the paperwork and we even got £45 of our fuel deposit back which will pay for tonight's curry. They said we must have been taking it steady with the miles we have done and how little fuel we have used plus using the heating.

Guess the trick was knowing that an extra 500rpm after 1500rpm quadrupled the fuel consumption on that particular engine type without increasing speed massively. 

Totted up the miles we covered in this trip and it was 135 miles in which the boat used 75 litres of fuel, some of which will have been fuel for the diesel heating which we had on for at least an hour each morning and several hours each evening. Judging by the rate at which the heaters fuel pump ticked which was about twice the rate of ours we reckon that uses about a half a litre per hour as it was about twice as fast as ours which uses a quarter of a litre per hour.

We didn't think that was bad consumption really from what has to be said was a tired engine. It was a bugger to start from cold and sounded somewhat clattery and abused. But is soldiered on.

A few pros and cons we found with the boat along the way:

Pros:

1. - The boat was plenty large enough for what we would need.

2.- There was room to fit a domestic sized washing machine in the galley. In fact the whole galley was very well set up and a great size for a boat of only 35ft long. Nice to work in and with everything at easy reach.

3.- The sliding canopy was not as gappy or draughty as anticipated.

4. - Nice safe wide walkways made moving around the boat very easy.

5.- The boat was very stable. It didn't rock around when moored up and when we purposefully hit some wash all wrong on Breydon Water it still hardly rocked around.

6.- The boat warmed up very quickly with the diesel heating turned on and seemed to retain its heat very well. It also warmed up well with solar gain although this would be a negative in the summer months.

Cons:

1. - You can't be very tall to drive it when the hood is up. We are both quite short but could only just sit at the helm and cockpit with the hood up.

2.- Visibility from the helm with the hood up was limited in the rain as only one of the four front screens had a wiper. This could be easily remedied.

3.- The shower room in the bow cabin had no opening window and relied on a roof vent which was not enough. Again easily rectified.

4.- Unexpected one this one. The master cabin in the bow was too hot. It only had two opening windows and a roof hatch. With all of these open, even in the chillier nights we had it was too hot. This would need sorting out with some more opening windows, a second roof hatch and a closeable vent for the diesel heater.

5.- The fridge was at a lower level to the helm position which led to lots of clambering up and down steps to feed the skipper with tea, coffee and alcohol. 

6.- The handling in reverse was non existent. But once you got used to this idea it became easy enough to out where you wanted it.

All in all it was a great trip and we are glad that we decided to take this holiday before taking the plunge and just buying one of these boats. We have a few things to think about and some time to find the right boat now. We have decided that the exterior condition of the boat is far more important then the interior, after all we are going to be refitting all of the interior anyway. The exterior will be more of a challenge to find one in the right condition. The one we hired was far too battered and bruised to even consider as a sound purchase. So we are now on the look out.

Likely to be a tad more expensive but I think the Aquafibre Pearls/38 would be well worth looking at. Having hired both models frequently, the Aquafibre seems the more versatile in terms of space. When it comes to looking it might also be worth talking to Richardsons to see what they are parting with. A lot of boats of this age have been both re- engined and refitted.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:21, Traveller said:

You were lucky then, very. I have lived on the Broads for some years and it has always burn horrendous in season. It gets worse as the BA seem to keep losing moorings for one reason or another. It is better south than north I admit but still not great. Anyway my words can be heeded or not I am just saying think about it carefully. Pubs are having a rough time as well, the Ferry Inn at Horning having closed again I hear. The River Ant is also plagued by the sheer number of  boats that run up and down the River Ant - especially on Richardson turnaround days (which might now be nearly every day).

But its a personal choice so I'll shut-up now :-)

A bit late coming to this thread but have to say I agree with Colin, during the season it's like living on the M25 and that was the only reason that we left for the calm of the Cambridgeshire Fens, we were there for 10 years, loved it out of season though.

Phil

7 hours ago, Mr Norman said:

Likely to be a tad more expensive but I think the Aquafibre Pearls/38 would be well worth looking at. Having hired both models frequently, the Aquafibre seems the more versatile in terms of space. When it comes to looking it might also be worth talking to Richardsons to see what they are parting with. A lot of boats of this age have been both re- engined and refitted.

The Aquafibre/Pearl 38's have the saloon and the helm in the raised cockpit area. We don't want that layout.

We want the helm separate from the saloon and the saloon at the rear of the boat to separate the two areas completely and also to have the saloon as far away from the master bedroom as possible. I tend to head to bed a bit earlier then Liam, so he wants to still be able to watch a bit of TV or listen to a bit of music without disturbing me. Which worked well with the layout of the Alpha 35.

We looked at the Alpha 42 but actually the boat would offer us very little benefit in terms of layout but far greater mooring and licencing costs.

7 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

A bit late coming to this thread but have to say I agree with Colin, during the season it's like living on the M25 and that was the only reason that we left for the calm of the Cambridgeshire Fens, we were there for 10 years, loved it out of season though.

Phil

We quite liked it during the silly season. Always something to watch.

Was almost disappointing that we only saw one display of really very poor boat handling this time around :rolleyes:

You will be doing a full refit so the layout can be changed to whatever suits you best. I have finally decided what is going where, it's a balancing act to be sure as I don't want any additional ballast if I can help it. We are going to be very open plan to maximise the 32 foot available and I need to replace strength lost through removed bulkheads. Luckily I only paid penuts for the bathtub otherwise I would be way out of pocket!

26 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You will be doing a full refit so the layout can be changed to whatever suits you best. I have finally decided what is going where, it's a balancing act to be sure as I don't want any additional ballast if I can help it. We are going to be very open plan to maximise the 32 foot available and I need to replace strength lost through removed bulkheads. Luckily I only paid penuts for the bathtub otherwise I would be way out of pocket!

We don't want to be getting into moving bulkheads and walls. The layout of the later Alpha 35's works fine for us. We will just wait for the right one to come along now.

No rush as we still have NC to play with until the right boat comes for sale.

15 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Phil

How you doing, Phil. We are not far from you these days - Dilley's place.

28 minutes ago, Traveller said:

How you doing, Phil. We are not far from you these days - Dilley's place.

If I stand on my roof I could probably wave to you. We like the rest of the marina are slipping into winter mode with piles of coal appearing and the buzz if chainsaws filling the air 

Phil