Drive belt

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, after having the boat a year, and done about 1500 hrs, I recently came off the river Severn, moored up then next day the belt snapped that turns the water pump to engine, alarm went off although I heard it snap. I pulled over after a minute or two.Wow if that had happened on the Severn it would of probably been an anchor job, then recovery etc, nightmare. It was the inner belt, and to get to that after taking outer belt off you have to undo the screws on fly wheel to relax it to get inner belt on. Don't think it had been done before as so tight, boat eight years old. I got rcr to do it , as no way I could have done that, he was great. Anyway all sorted next day, phew. That would of been terrible on river, took experienced rcr engineer over an hour to replace.,if on a bad place on river, as it was high at the time,doesn't bear thinking about...It is difficult to check the inner belt on isuzi engine but will from now on b4 going on rivers. Maybe the extra revs I was using made the difference.. Anyway , can anyone recommend a good site to replace the replacement.? One on line place I looked at has the right belt for about ten quid, but charges vat and delivery , making it almost double price. Rarely used hopefully but just wondered if anyone had reccomendations on make and web site. Thanks.

If you know the belt number they are abundant on ebay , mine cost under £7 each delivered for a gates branded belt, so i guess yours wont be a lot different.

for isuzu specific parts obviously its canaline or you could try engines plus in gloucester tel. 01452 729707

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

Thanks ,yes it was a gates brand I replaced it with, but I can't find the specific belt on e bay apart from what I mentioned, if you could tell me the site I would be greatful. Thanks for reply anyway

As i said i would give Engines Plus in gloucester a call (number in my previous post) .... what is the part number of the belt ? is it a v belt or multi ribbed?

Rick

If you have a gates part number any good local motor factors will either stock or be able to get you one overnight ... just have a phone round ... will also be far cheaper than a swindlery  chandlery 

Edited by dccruiser

Is there room to have a belt more or less( but fixed out of the way )in position? if yes you could do that & then in the case of inner belt failure the replacement could be fitted with out to much disturbance to the outer belt.