Any idea what these are?

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Ormskirk Hospital used to be a Workhouse !! 

I was born a Kingstonian in 1943 and have lived in Ormskirk since 1969.

Probably explains why I have spent most of my life trying to avoid work then :).

Seems we swapped ends of the country then. 

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes born in '52. I think you were the other side of Huyton. We then moved to West Kirby.

West Kirby, you posh bugger,  I used to dream about going to West Kirby as a kid.

Or in fact going anywhere that wasn't Ellesmere Port :)

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Aguila said:

I lived in Ormskirk in 1965/66, you will remember the memorable football event of that year - Everton beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in the cup final!

On 08/10/2017 at 19:47, Peter Thornton said:

Just past Leigh, (towards Wigan) on the Leeds Liverpool, there is a long row of stakes/piling all set back at a consistent distance from the bank and spaced consistently. They go on for about a mile and They are about 9” or so square.

Anyone know what they are?

B0F0E99C-E3F9-43BA-8A53-A6C18DD2CED8.jpeg

C489C750-0E76-42C7-B661-0E760BCE9BB2.jpeg

I reckon thems to stop the local yoof driving stolen cars into  the cut.

I too was born in Ormskirk hospital. The son of a tea taster. I was brought up in the farming community though. We have ranged far and wide in Lancashire in our lives from the balmy south in Maghull via the flatlands of Croston to the gritty reality of Leyland then on to the highlands of Blackburn.  We have finally washed up in leafy Chorley after a quick foray into Bolton almost fifty years ago to find a wife.

On 08/10/2017 at 19:47, Peter Thornton said:

Just past Leigh, (towards Wigan) on the Leeds Liverpool, there is a long row of stakes/piling all set back at a consistent distance from the bank and spaced consistently. They go on for about a mile and They are about 9” or so square.

They are the last remaining vestiges of a forest that grew square trees to be used as pit props in the local coal mines. :P

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

As I was born in Ormskirk hospital I can only agree with you. :)

19 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was also born in Ormskirk. 1953. Dad was a bobby.

18 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Lancashire 3 Yorkshire 0.

We won again.

15 hours ago, Aguila said:

10 hours ago, frahkn said:

I lived in Ormskirk in 1965/66, you will remember the memorable football event of that year - Everton beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in the cup final!

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

I too was born in Ormskirk hospital. The son of a tea taster. I was brought up in the farming community though. We have ranged far and wide in Lancashire in our lives from the balmy south in Maghull via the flatlands of Croston to the gritty reality of Leyland then on to the highlands of Blackburn.  We have finally washed up in leafy Chorley after a quick foray into Bolton almost fifty years ago to find a wife.

Seems to me half the active forum members were either born in, or have lived in Ormskirk at some time 

Ormskirk  the epicentre of CWDF. :lol:

On 8 October 2017 at 19:47, Peter Thornton said:

They are posts to fix tie rods to, to hold concrete upright. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:07, frahkn said:

A bit hard on the toffees (but only a bit).

It's noticeably only because the average football fan remembers 1966 for something else.

Yes, West ham won the World Cup.   But that same year they were well and truly whupped in the League Cup Final.