Overplating & Skin Tank - the Kedian way :)

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, KEDIAN said:

Update on the performance of the skin tank with the extra non standard and recommend baffles as per the recommendation given by Beta to follow by the customer to follow after several days cruising. 

My crystal ball (or the I borrowed from MtB :lol:) says all will be ok with the new skin tank.

• Greenie 1

Now on the way back to the Shroppie and on the Coventry having just done the 11 locks on Atherstone flight and stopped for the day now (it was only going to be for lunch but the boat moving just when I was climbing onto the bow to tie up meant that I was able to check the depth of the canal quite effectively - not having spare shoes was certainly a serious omission! )

"So how goes the new skin tank?" I hear you ask...

Firstly, let me say that Martin has done a lovely job and my poor old Thorneycroft 90 (BMC 1500) has warmed up to mid-70's and stuck there no matter what engine speed  - a massive difference to previous outings when one eye on the canal and the other on the temperature guage.

Secondly, a massive 'Thank You!' to the Kate Boat technicians who connected the new cooling system and replaced all of the cooling and Calorifier feed pipes - having a few issues thrown at them on the way as old fittings either snapped or were rusted to the point of uselessness, they were both friendly and very profesional and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them!

The calorifier took a couple of days to get rid of all of the air in the heating coil making some 'interesting' gurgling noises in the process.

We now have an engine being cooled properly, oil pressure remaining stable (because the coolant temperature is correct I presume) and plenty of nice hot water too.

Previously the coolant temperature was not stable and would randomly rise to over 100c and stay there until the engine was stopped for a couple of minutes, this appears to have been eradicated, temperatures rose briefly while the air came out of the calorifier and dropped once the gurgling ceased.

The new cooling system appears to place no appreciable load on the water pump over the original keel cooling but certainly inspires more confidence than previously.

When we called in to refill the Diesel tank (just in case) I enjoyed a good conversation with the proprieter about overplating  / skin tanks (he does the same engineering himself) who asked who did the work, then commented that the surveyor who had done the hull survey after Martin had finished my boat had called in Wednesday to do a survey there - he had commented about the excellent work on the boat he had just surveyed in the last week - it just happened to be mine...

What more can be said?

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

Now on the way back to the Shroppie and on the Coventry having just done the 11 locks on Atherstone flight and stopped for the day now (it was only going to be for lunch but the boat moving just when I was climbing onto the bow to tie up meant that I was able to check the depth of the canal quite effectively - not having spare shoes was certainly a serious omission! )

"So how goes the new skin tank?" I hear you ask...

Firstly, let me say that Martin has done a lovely job and my poor old Thorneycroft 90 (BMC 1500) has warmed up to mid-70's and stuck there no matter what engine speed  - a massive difference to previous outings when one eye on the canal and the other on the temperature guage.

Secondly, a massive 'Thank You!' to the Kate Boat technicians who connected the new cooling system and replaced all of the cooling and Calorifier feed pipes - having a few issues thrown at them on the way as old fittings either snapped or were rusted to the point of uselessness, they were both friendly and very profesional and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them!

The calorifier took a couple of days to get rid of all of the air in the heating coil making some 'interesting' gurgling noises in the process.

We now have an engine being cooled properly, oil pressure remaining stable (because the coolant temperature is correct I presume) and plenty of nice hot water too.

Previously the coolant temperature was not stable and would randomly rise to over 100c and stay there until the engine was stopped for a couple of minutes, this appears to have been eradicated, temperatures rose briefly while the air came out of the calorifier and dropped once the gurgling ceased.

The new cooling system appears to place no appreciable load on the water pump over the original keel cooling but certainly inspires more confidence than previously.

When we called in to refill the Diesel tank (just in case) I enjoyed a good conversation with the proprieter about overplating  / skin tanks (he does the same engineering himself) who asked who did the work, then commented that the surveyor who had done the hull survey after Martin had finished my boat had called in Wednesday to do a survey there - he had commented about the excellent work on the boat he had just surveyed in the last week - it just happened to be mine...

What more can be said?

Martin Kedian?never heard of him  till I joined this Forum!:D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ratkatcher said:

Now on the way back to the Shroppie and on the Coventry having just done the 11 locks on Atherstone flight and stopped for the day now 

You should pass my place after about 2 hours.

I'll try to look out for you and give you a wave as you pass.

• Greenie 1

On 10/10/2017 at 13:26, Cheshire cat said:

I agree with your assessment that it served its purpose but there are far too many practitioners on the canal who take an artisan approach rather than doing the job properly. 

Going back to the original problem the suggestion that the water pump is not up to it is a serious indictment of the product. Beta Marine should be embarrassed about making such claims. The impeller on an Alde heater is an egg whisk by comparison but manages to do its job. 

Artisan approach! There's a lot of that on the cut.

I would imagine the water pump on any automotive engine will be more than up to the job of moving coolant past the baffles in the pictured skin tank, the car radiator is crammed full of them. 

On 10/10/2017 at 13:26, Cheshire cat said:

Edited by BWM
Double post?
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Just seen Tichitoro go past, with Mr & Mrs RatKatcher on board and two small dogs on the roof. 

She looks very smart.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I should get a look at it later.

21 minutes ago, KEDIAN said:

Thank you I was pleased with it 

Matty was about an hour behind Tichitoro.  However he stopped to talk to me, so problably 90 minutes behind now! :D

As always, good to chat with Matty and to wave at other forum members (or chat if they stop).

Lovely to meet Matty40s and getting a helping hand too!

We took a detour up toward Brum as the navigator thought the instructions said turn at Fazely Junction :captain:

Now moored outside the Tame Otter for the night.

Temperature so stable (even when working the engine quite hard) that it seems the guages have got stuck!

Sorry Cuthound, my mobile was in the Saloon providing Trudi internet access so didn't get to read posts until we pulled over - hope we waved....

Trent & Mersey tomorrow.

9 hours ago, BWM said:

Artisan approach! There's a lot of that on the cut.

I would imagine the water pump on any automotive engine will be more than up to the job of moving coolant past the baffles in the pictured skin tank, the car radiator is crammed full of them. 

Are you trying to tell me it is not just a tank full of water with a hose at the top and another at the bottom?

• Haha 1

Think about my  earlier post saying that I could not see a way of draining the skin tank easily with both hose connections at the top. You may fit a drain already but I could not see one in the photo. It will make coolant changing easier for your customers.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Think about my  earlier post saying that I could not see a way of draining the skin tank easily with both hose connections at the top. You may fit a drain already but I could not see one in the photo. It will make coolant changing easier for your customers.

I will think about it !!!!

20 hours ago, KEDIAN said:

I will think about it !!!!

It is a good point. I have 2 skin tanks one internal and one, added later, external. The internal has an drain but it is obscured by the engine bearers. Could I suggest that if you do provide one on future jobs  that it is situated half way along the tank so that it is accessible even with the engine mounted? 

Just a thought could make what appears to be an excellent job into excellent plus. 

Note to add my later addition, for clarification not by you, did not have a drain incorporated the addition of one would make life a lot easier as I am due to drain the system and may need to use my sucky thing to get to the bottom of the tank. 

1 hour ago, reg said:

I am due to drain the system and may need to use my sucky thing to get to the bottom of the tank. 

Won the the baffles get in the way of your "sucky thing"?

You may have to pull of the bottom hose to drain it.