Multifuel stoves

MichaelG

Featured Posts

Hello, as many boats have the stove towards the front of the boat how much of the heat actually manages to find its way to the stern, IE the bedroom. Other than using a back boiler feeding radiators are there any tips on how to distribute the heat from a stove around the boat. I would also want to have an Eberspacher or similar diesel fired heating system as a secondary source of heating but wouldn't want to have to use it as my main source. I understand they can be a little noisy and temperamental not to mention the cost of fuel.

How much heat reaches the back of the boat will largely depend on how far the front is from the back, and how many partitions are in between. 

Our 70ft boat with stove near the front barely get the bedroom warm at all. 

To distribute heat, some people swear by stove top fans(others swear at them). If you have electricity, an electric fan, even of the small computer type will help. 

Edited by rusty69

With my absolutely central Puffin stove my boat is warm throughout. But I recently had visitors, for the first time, and they requested a door for the bedroom which is at the bow end on the other side of the bathroom, which they duely got, and that was immediately followed by complaints that the bedroom was too cold. This is unreasonable. Either you are indulging in exercise in bed when a door is useful, or you don't need a door. Either way you should be warm enough!

I am currently investigating a tiny computer fan from Maplin N50QT which is very quiet but may not be powerful enough which will go in the top of the door.

I have a 58' boat & the stove is at the front. The bedroom is noticabley cooler, but I dont mind, I dont want the bedroom as warm as the living room. It simply isnt a problem.
If i get another boat then I'd have the stove at the front again.