Soft 25mm2 Electric Cable - Where?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I want to feed an additional electric supply from the stern of the boat to the lounge area at the front, so I was thinking of a nice thick cable to minimise voltage drop, connected to a switch panel at the bow, from where various items could be supplied by thinner cable.

A few years ago, I recall seeing some thick and very flexible black and red cables in Midland Chandlers, but I cant find it on their web site. Looking at Screwfix, Ebay, B & Q, etc., I also cant find what I think I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of 25mm2 cable.

Any suggestions of a source? (I'm sure there will be many :) )

eBay.  Welding cable is sometimes easier to get/a bit cheaper than automotive/marine cable. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=marine+cable+25&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmarine+cable+25mm.TRS0&_nkw=marine+cable+25mm&_sacat=0

£19 for 5 metres

note that real-proper marine cable is tinned copper but unless you intend it to get wet its likely not worth the extra expense.

.........Dave

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I want to feed an additional electric supply from the stern of the boat to the lounge area at the front, so I was thinking of a nice thick cable to minimise voltage drop, connected to a switch panel at the bow, from where various items could be supplied by thinner cable.

A few years ago, I recall seeing some thick and very flexible black and red cables in Midland Chandlers, but I cant find it on their web site. Looking at Screwfix, Ebay, B & Q, etc., I also cant find what I think I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of 25mm2 cable.

Any suggestions of a source? (I'm sure there will be many :) )

The red bit causes me a little concern. No mention of fuses for the thinner cable - unless by switch panel you mean fuse/mcb panel. The thick cable will also need a suitable fuse somewhere at the battery end.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The red bit causes me a little concern. No mention of fuses for the thinner cable - unless by switch panel you mean fuse/mcb panel. The thick cable will also need a suitable fuse somewhere at the battery end.

Hi Tony,

I've been "messing about" with electrics on boats for just over a decade now, so am well aware of the need for fuses, and also already have a few that will probably suit for the battery end. In addition, my plan is for the switch panel to incorporate the fuses, or circuit breakers, as you suggest.

Always handy to have someone watching over us - particularly for those who might find a thread in a search, and think that's all there is too it :)

Did a similar thing on my boat, reverse layout  by running thick cable half way up and then running front wiring from a fused switch board. Makes wiring and routing a lot easier. 

Used http://www.onboardenergy.co.uk/energy-solutions/our-location.html

For majority of my wiring needs, good people and will ensure you only buy cable of correct specification.