Lettering

Pluto

Featured Posts

I have just come across this alphabet in the Waterways Archive, in an 1890s L&LC book from Apperley Bridge workshop. It certainly looks like an authentic style as used on the L&LC in Yorkshire, with the shading to the right bottom, and may be of interest to the boat painters amongst us. I don't know of many contemporary lettering designs which come from canal sources.

lettering 3.jpg

• Greenie 1

Many thanks Pluto for sharing this. This is the  beauty of hand painted lettering, an individual approach to a Roman style font. There are a few idiosyncrasies evident that make it so, such as the triangular horizontals on the E and L, the overhang on the G and the unequal triangular spaces in the M. Characteristically Victorian, it would sit equally well on a shopfront or funfair. Roman seems little used in narrow boat lettering, a pity to my mind, it's a handsome elegant font. I often use it where a restrained but dignified letter is needed, perhaps on less traditional craft. I use it on most of the Norton Canes boats I write, mostly in the smaller engine room panel carrying the name and number. Dave

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Dave Moore, sorry to be so informal, but I’ve been looking for you all over the internet! I don’t use these forums but when I googled your name, you came up here.

Please could you contact me by email eric_booth@live.co.uk or phone 07807176804. Thanks a lot, look forward to hearing from you.