isuzu 55 marine engine not heating up calorifier coil

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have just purchased a liverpool boats 55x10 with a isuzu 55 engine, the flow & return pipes that come from the engine to the secondary coil in the calorifer are not heating up, the water in the engine is obviously hot but its not getting pumped around the coil for some reason? Any suggestions?

Regards

Mitch

probably an airlock. . Try loosening the highest joint on the calorifier system so it weeps a bit - if it spits or hisses you have air in it. It will be easier  if the engine haeder tank level is higher that the joint. If not you may have to do it hot with the system under pressure.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

probably an airlock. . Try loosening the highest joint on the calorifier system so it weeps a bit - if it spits or hisses you have air in it. It will be easier  if the engine haeder tank level is higher that the joint. If not you may have to do it hot with the system under pressure.

I do mine hot because its high. If the boat is new to you are you sure there is not a valve in there anywhere to divert to a boiler of something. Strange things do happen

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If it is a horizontal calorifier, that is it lies on its side, so it is longer than it is high it can be a bu**er to bleed.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If it is a horizontal calorifier, that is it lies on its side, so it is longer than it is high it can be a bu**er to bleed.

If that were mine it would be fitted at something of an angle with one end high, especially if both connections were in that end.

31 minutes ago, Mitchellmoxo said:

It's a vertical cylinder. I will try get the air lock out while engine is running thanks. I may add a bleed valve in if it's the problem as the header tank is mounted on the engine and is lower than the cylinder coil

That is what I did