Photo of towy and kubina exit lock at the port

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Ages ago i found a pic of towy and kubina exiting the bottom lock at ellsmere port heading towards the locks to the ship canal. There both unloaded. I beleive the pic has been flipped e.g. makes it look like wide locks on the left not the right. Taken in 50s as has hand rails on cabin

Im trying to find it as it has some info in that pic of towys bow that i need but now for the life of me cant find it.

There were 2 taken

1 is pic as decribed

2nd is the close up of towys cabin with kubina cabin just in the photo.

Any info on where to find photo would be good.

3 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Check out the shed, and the bathroom. Back pocket?

My daughter lost her house key and got locksmith out to access her house and found keys a few days later in her washing machine. If you want her address I will give it to you it could be in there?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My daughter lost her house key and got locksmith out to access her house and found keys a few days later in her washing machine. If you want her address I will give it to you it could be in there?

Well,what can I say? Fancy not looking in the washing machine!!!Tut Tut.

Why is it the last place you look that you find things. We ought to look in the last place first, saves loads of time.

Edited by Nightwatch

8 minutes ago, Ray T said:

All I can come up with:

27929836626_e69453e616_o.jpg

Any reason why you felt the need to steal my picture off my Flickr page Ray?

By all means link to the Flickr image but I can see you've saved it and uploaded it to the forum.

I imagine you don't own the copyright to the other images either!

Ian, I'm sorry if you felt I "stole" it, I will remove it. No I don't own copy right to the other pictures nor did I claim to. Where I can I do try to credit photos. I could have easily photo-shopped your watermark out or trimmed the picture, but left the credit there. Just trying to help out. Please note I am not attempting to make any financial gain out of these photo's.

I am bemused how I "stole" it. Copied the image yes, but you still have the original. 

Edited by Ray T

Seems to have been taken from the T.W. Will King collection, Dudley Public Library/Black Country Museum. Does T. W. Will King hold the copyright?

Many images have been seen on this forum that have come from many sources, and sometimes there's a storm in a tea-cup over them - usually if someone is attempting to make money from them. Go look on Ebay, images for sale from all over the place. Nice to see the boats Ray, (and the family).

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Yes this is the same day/trip but going up the lock loaded.

I know there is a pic taken of someone stood opposite the wide locks as they come out with them brested up. But i cant think for the life of me where i saw it.

4 hours ago, IanM said:

Any reason why you felt the need to steal my picture off my Flickr page Ray?

By all means link to the Flickr image but I can see you've saved it and uploaded it to the forum.

I imagine you don't own the copyright to the other images either!

This suprises me. Surely anyone who puts anything on such a platform as the world wide web should expect it to be used in any way by anyone?. I don't put anything ontinternet simply because its way too public hence not going anywhere near Farcebook or twatter either. I use this forum for banter and actualy use one foto of one of my gaggle of grandkids but if you use flickr as my sister does surely you re giving them to Joe Public, if not stick em in yer family album where mine are.

• Greenie 1

I've had all sorts of people use my images of the Kelvin when I had Owl. I can't say it bothers me.  At least two of these were for commercial gain. 

I hope Ray isn't deterred from sharing with us the pictures he manages to dig up.  He isn't attempting to pass them off as his own.

• Greenie 1

Great image BillyBob. Evocative of the decaying fifties. I don't know the area, but I see a signal box and footbridge - possibly over a line to the transshipment shed? A single lamp in a tall lampost that surely must have given off precious little light, and the chap leaning on a fence post watching the boats go by - wonder what his thoughts were.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Great image BillyBob. Evocative of the decaying fifties. I don't know the area, but I see a signal box and footbridge - possibly over a line to the transshipment shed? A single lamp in a tall lampost that surely must have given off precious little light, and the chap leaning on a fence post watching the boats go by - wonder what his thoughts were.

It isn't a signal box, not there now but probably a lock keeper's hut . The footbridge is still there over the water  access to the upper basin. I don't think there was ever a railway around the top level,  but there certainly was round the lower dock area with wagon turntables etc. The lamp post is still there with a modern replica fitting on top. Interesting that the boilers are in steam for the hydraulic power station, smoke from the chimney, I wonder what they were supplying at this relatively late date?

There was/ still is a signal box next to the canal but around 500 yards towards Chester from the top lock: "Ellesmere Port no.4" ,I think it may still be operational.

Edited by billh
more detail

Two photos of Ellesmere Port, the first by Roger Lorenz. He had been in the warehouse that afternoon and had seen nothing likely to cause a fire, so draw your own conclusions. The buildings were just about to be listed. The second is by me in 1975.

E Port 1969.jpg

E Port 1975 212.jpg

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Buildings about to be listed self combust far too often for my liking.

They should change the law to say thst once a building is being considered for listing it must be insured so that it can be rebuilt if necessary.

Who will pay the insurance?