Help. Broken window on Aire & Calder

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Martin Megson said:

Just managed to smash a window. Anyone know of a boat glazier near Leeds who could help as RCR and my insurers can’t help 

I replaced one of mine at Leeds Glass on York Road as they can cut glass, etc.

Thanks guys. It’s the lower half of one of these. I expect once the frame is removed the bar can be removed to slot the new glass in. I’ve arranged for a mate to bring me a sheet of Perspex as a temporary fix then I can take the frame to a glazier who should be able to cut to fit.

7A90BE77-682C-4AFD-B607-E105C87C0D09.jpeg.0be3cbf07e20a20097651f0d9021fe8a.jpeg

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

I replaced one of mine at Leeds Glass on York Road as they can cut glass, etc.

Thanks. I’ll give them a try 

4 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

Thanks guys. It’s the lower half of one of these. I expect once the frame is removed the bar can be removed to slot the new glass in. I’ve arranged for a mate to bring me a sheet of Perspex as a temporary fix then I can take the frame to a glazier who should be able to cut to fit.

7A90BE77-682C-4AFD-B607-E105C87C0D09.jpeg.0be3cbf07e20a20097651f0d9021fe8a.jpeg

Thanks. I’ll give them a try 

Yes, the bar is held in by a couple of self tapping screws inside the frame. The whole frame will have to come out. It looks like the clamped in type from the inside so shouldn't be too difficult, depends how the clamps are boxed in on the inside.

When I smashed mine it was easy to get the old glass and frame out as has been explained. But the glass had to be toughened. So the glazier measures and cuts the glass then it has to be sent away to be hardened and that took about two weeks.

11 minutes ago, pete.i said:

When I smashed mine it was easy to get the old glass and frame out as has been explained. But the glass had to be toughened. So the glazier measures and cuts the glass then it has to be sent away to be hardened and that took about two weeks.

Thanks for that.  Looking at the other window it is toughened glass which is a pain.

Do you know if it has to be toughened or would laminated glass be OK.

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Are they. I've not seen those before.

Quite common design.  Obviously if you've not noticed they do the job well :D

5 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

Thanks for that.  Looking at the other window it is toughened glass which is a pain.

Do you know if it has to be toughened or would laminated glass be OK.

I went for laminated, it's a lot more secure and they did it there and then.

32 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Quite common design.  Obviously if you've not noticed they do the job well :D

I went for laminated, it's a lot more secure and they did it there and then.

Thanks Robbo.  

After spending 2 hours picking up tiny fragments of glass I've already decided thats the way to go. :D

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Try Wesley Windows if they have the right size glass in stock they can do an immediate repair. They're at Newark but if you're near a railway station it's an option.

http://www.wesleywindows.co.uk

Thanks for that link. If the local glazier can't sort it I'll give them a call. 

We managed to break a window on the A&C near Wakefield a few years back and a local 'Autoglass'-type firm were able to come out and fix it on the towpath the next day for £90 inc VAT, which was a lot less expense and hassle than I'd been expecting. Can't remember the name of the firm now... maybe this one?

https://www.autoglazingukltd.co.uk/

Many thanks for all the helpful replies. Unfortunately the window had been fitted with a lot of mastic and we damaged it while removing it.  In the end I bought a replacement unit from Wesley Windows who were very helpful. This is now installed and hopefully I'm now weather tight again.  

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.  It's good to know that I can always rely on CWDF to help when I'm stuck.

I realise this comes after the event but, for future reference, these folk in Leeds make and will refurbish/repair windows. They actually made the original windows for Norman Boats. They are a plant window company basically who also put their skills to other applications!

http://www.kellettwindows.co.uk/