French Canals

babylek

Featured Posts

I am thinking about buying a Dutch Steel boat in France and just cruising the French canals for 6 months. I had a boat on the Thames about 20 years ago. I had a radio license, would I have to re-take that exam again? I never had any other certificates. Would I need any operator certificates just to cruise the French canals? PS. I do like the look of the Birchwood TS37 but maybe too big for canal cruising.

Bi Dutch Steel.jpg

Birchwood TS37.jpg

3 hours ago, babylek said:

Would I need any operator certificates just to cruise the French canals

Presumably you didn't like the answers when you asked the question in another thread ?

Madness  is defined as "repeating the same question and expecting to get a different answer each time"

May I suggest that you return to your original thread and have a look -  a lot has been added to it. (even an instructor/examiner of the French boaters licences has commented)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, babylek said:

I am thinking about buying a Dutch Steel boat in France and just cruising the French canals for 6 months. I had a boat on the Thames about 20 years ago. I had a radio license, would I have to re-take that exam again? I never had any other certificates. Would I need any operator certificates just to cruise the French canals? PS. I do like the look of the Birchwood TS37 but maybe too big for canal cruising.

I take you to be a TROLL and certainly a crap waster of my time and expertise answering your repetitious questions on your other thread.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I take you to be a TROLL and certainly a crap waster of my time and expertise answering your repetitious questions on your other thread.

To be fair, Tam, many of us are well aware of your great experience on France's waterways, but Baby' probably wasn't, so his remark looked offensive to you even though it was not meant to be. He knows now.

I was grateful for all the helpful replies I received on the thread of "Hull displacement" I received the answers I was after, it's just that I thought it had gone off topic and only wanted to stop wasting peoples time with that topic and I only wanted to move on to something else. Sorry if I offended the sensibility of a few who if stayed with the 2nd topic would have understood where I was going with my question. Being called a troll is very disrespectful of someone asking questions under the banner of "New to Boating". And I can assure you I am not a "CRAP WASTER OF PEOPLES TIME" I have asked genuine questions and only wanted honest and helpful answers, which 99.9% of people have done.

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

You would need an inland waterways ICC

Thanks, Martyn someone gave me a link to that and I have looked into the online exam. Thanks again for the help. Most people have been very helpful to this "New to Boating." newbie.

5 hours ago, babylek said:

it's just that I thought it had gone off topic and only wanted to stop wasting peoples time with that topic

What you appear to be considering as 'going off topic' was in fact totally 'on-topic'.

The 2nd part of your question was to ask about buying a boat in France or Spain - this led to detailed explanations regarding 'foreign' boat ownership requirements and how they differ to the UK requirements to have a 'boat on the Thames 20 years ago'.

Why ask for help / advice / guidance if you are just going to ignore it and ask the same question again ?

21 hours ago, babylek said:

I am thinking about buying a Dutch Steel boat in France

When I was in your position I would have been grateful for the advice as it could have potentially saved me tens of thousands of pounds.

Ignore the advice of people who 'have done it' at your peril - enjoy your dream.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When I was in your position I would have been grateful for the advice as it could have potentially saved me tens of thousands of pounds.

Ignore the advice of people who 'have done it' at your peril - enjoy your dream.

Baby' has expressed his gratitude on at least two occasions. Yes, he is still probably at the "dream" stage - weren't we all at one time? I still remember the thrill and tingle of anticipation once Mrs. Athy and I decided to look for our first boat, 20 years ago now.

Edited by Athy

5 hours ago, babylek said:

Being called a troll is very disrespectful of someone asking questions under the banner of "New to Boating". And I can assure you I am not a "CRAP WASTER OF PEOPLES TIME" I have asked genuine questions and only wanted honest and helpful answers, which 99.9% of people have done.

In that case I apologise, but I spent a ot of my time answering your questions in detail although I was busy with other things. I found it "very disrespectful" for you to then ask the same question again on another thread, which is indeed the sort of action of a troll who just wats to wind people up.

Tam

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

In that case I apologise, but I spent a ot of my time answering your questions in detail although I was busy with other things. I found it "very disrespectful" for you to then ask the same question again on another thread, which is indeed the sort of action of a troll who just wats to wind people up.

Tam

Your point is, as ever, well made Tam. Baby' may not have quite got used to the workings of the forum yet but I have the impression that his aim of owning a boat is genuine, even if it is still in the early planning, or indeed dreaming, stage. I noted, for example, that he had been looking at boat adverts and had picked a couple of potential winners, which suggests to me an intention to buy one in the fullness of time.