Full displacement underwater profile

babylek

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

it might appear that you are the one who is out of touch and out of step regarding this issue.

if you are not prepared to explain yourself, whilst knocking others when they use the word 'troll', then you will also appear to be quite unreasonable. 

It might, but I think not.

No knocking took place.

10 hours ago, babylek said:

Thank you that was most helpful, I will go take a look at the link you have sent me. I am now getting an overall picture what I have to do and what to expect. This forum has also given me an insight into some of the questions I will need to ask French sellers if I choose to buy in France.

Not sure if this has been flagged up yet but you will also want to check your air draft and water draft are compatible with the route you plan to take to the Med.

Some friends of ours took their boats cross from Lincoln to Lowestoft and across to Holland last summer and have since worked their way through Belgium and France to the Med. They are currently in Spain. Well Spain for now could well be Catalonia by the end of the week :blink:

Anyway point being despite only have a water draft of 3ft they have found the bottom of the canals on several occasions and they had to plan their route to suit their air draft and avoid some low bridges.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Anyway point being despite only have a water draft of 3ft they have found the bottom of the canals on several occasions and they had to plan their route to suit their air draft and avoid some low bridges.

Air draught I can believe - but the water draught problem surprises me, as overseas waterways were generally built to accommodate much bigger craft than our narrow canals were. I don't know what the draught of the average péniche is but I bet it's a darned sight more than three feet, even unloaded.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Air draught I can believe - but the water draught problem surprises me, as overseas waterways were generally built to accommodate much bigger craft than our narrow canals were. I don't know what the draught of the average péniche is but I bet it's a darned sight more than three feet, even unloaded.

I guess it depends which waterways your route takes you down.

ETA: It is also certainly what our friends in their Dutch Cruiser with a 4ft draft have also found. They are spending a lot of time on the bottom.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Guess so, yes. Now problems with a 4-foot draught I can believe. But as far as I'm aware most French waterways except the Canal du Berry, which isn't connected to anything much, were built or modified to the Freycinet gauge, which includes a draught of about six feet. Perhaps silting has occurred since the decline of freight traffic.

Edited by Athy

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:45, Athy said:

Does the Med. often, or ever, get rough in the way that the North Sea or the Channel can? It has virtually no tides, though whether that leads to greater smoothness I am not sure.

It can get very heavy in the med, the Grand union it aint.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Guess so, yes. Now problems with a 4-foot draught I can believe. But as far as I'm aware most French waterways except the Canal du Berry, which isn't connected to anything much, were built or modified to the Freycinet gauge, which includes a draught of about six feet. Perhaps silting has occurred since the decline of freight traffic.

Nothing big has been through this one for a while!

FB_IMG_1507125062024.jpg

It is a shame that the Farcebook page of their travels is a private page as there are some cracking photos on there of the places they have visited and waterways they have travelled on. Very varied.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, it is, though perhaps it's as well that I can't view it as doing so would probably make me want to scuttle off to France instanter.

Too late for us. We have booked a holiday for this time next year with Le Boat in Brittany. 

Formidable! Did you find one small enough? All the Le Boats (Les Boats?) we have seen, on the South-Western waterways, have been blooming enormous, both in size and in price.

For future reference there's a company in Yorkshire through whom Locaboat Holidays in France can be booked: Blue Water Marine. That's who we use.

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

Formidable! Did you find one small enough? All the Le Boats (Les Boats?) we have seen, on the South-Western waterways, have been blooming enormous, both in size and in price.

For future reference there's a company in Yorkshire through whom Locaboat Holidays in France can be booked: Blue Water Marine. That's who we use.

We have booked their smallest boat. The Capri.

http://www.leboat.co.uk/boats/capri-ts

Just the right size for the two of us.

Not overly expensive either at this time of year at £500 plus fuel and damage waiver. 

Of course we have to get the ferry to St Malo as well but that's only £300 return for a night sailing there with cabin and a day sail back with cabin.

Edited by Naughty Cal

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have booked their smallest boat. The Capri.

Ah yes, a sensible size (about the same as the pénichettes which we hire, they're 9,30m X 3,10m I think) and of course you've got that smoooooooth rear bar sun-deck (which I hope the weather will allow you to use).

But admit it lass, you booked it mainly because it was named after a Ford.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Ah yes, a sensible size (about the same as the pénichettes which we hire, they're 9,30m X 3,10m I think) and of course you've got that smoooooooth rear bar sun-deck (which I hope the weather will allow you to use).

But admit it lass, you booked it mainly because it was named after a Ford.

Had not even thought about that until you mentioned it :D