If....

MtB

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Awful film, great book. Jenny whatsername from Logans run and the railway children

I always fancied going walkabout with her. She could have blown my didgeridoo.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ratkatcher said:

In the film 'If' the single record Mr. McDowell constantly played was 'Sanctus' by 'Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin', which was released in 1958, sung by a Congolese choir.  I always considered a Latin mass song to be an odd choice, perhaps it was the 'heavy' drums that made it so...

ETA: brilliant film though, may have to dig it up from the archives and watch it once more.

For those that want to

16 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Awful film, great book. Jenny whatsername from Logans run and the railway children

I read the book quite recently.  The author, Erskine Childers, led an extraordinary life, serving in the Boer war and WW1 for the British, then turning to Irish Republicanism and was executed by a British firing squad in Dublin.  His son became President of Ireland.  Some accused The Riddle of the Sands of being a contributory factor to starting WW1, being an anti-German spy novel.

Just now, Mac of Cygnet said:

I read the book quite recently.  The author, Erskine Childers, led an extraordinary life, serving in the Boer war and WW1 for the British, then turning to Irish Republicanism and was executed by a British firing squad in Dublin.  His son became President of Ireland.  Some accused The Riddle of the Sands of being a contributory factor to starting WW1, being an anti-German spy novel.

Its a good story,well written, I remember reading about the author some time after enjoying the book (a bookshelf favourite for any sailor). I recal Erskine Childers was gun running in his yacht.