If....

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Made pipe bombs, also managed to kill two pupils.

The caning sequence in the film was very mild compared to real life.

:(

Went to see the film when it was released, the scenes up to and including the caning were far to close to real life for comfort. Saw it again recently brought back all the tremors from public school days.

Strangely IF were also the first band I worked for in my professional career way back in 1971. Touring the USA aged 19 what a job!

ETA Pete Perrett lead singer of The Only Ones was in my year at school and managed to get 150 strokes of the cane in his first two terms.........

Edited by Loddon

Plenty of caning in Frank Richards Billy Bunter books,  Whop, Yaroooo!!!  Whop, Yaroooo!!, Whop, Yarooo!! Whop, Yaroooooooooooooooo!!!   Mr Quelch-- Cease that ridiculous noise Bunter!!.

Edited by bizzard

7 hours ago, Athy said:

...  Have you noticed a recent trend for people to start their reply to any question with the word "So"? It appears to be replacing the common "Well", the Aussie "Look" and the less decisive "Er", and arguably makes less sense than any of them.

Yes, I have. My first-form mistress (yes - one of a kind) would castigate any pupil starting a verbal answer with "Er" or "Um" (the response was "NOT 'er...'" and she certainly managed to eliminate the habit in me.

So, Er, Um, Well, Look all pale into insignificance against "Obviously..." though!  It never is. If it were, why bother to say it?

Edited by Machpoint005
inadvertent double posting

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Have you noticed a recent trend for people to start their reply to any question with the word "So"? It appears to be replacing the common "Well", the Aussie "Look" and the less decisive "Er", and arguably makes less sense than any of them.

Yes. I think it arises because people feel a need to avoid a silent pause while they compose an answer. So a meaningless 'padding' word is issued while the brain furiously processes something more meaningful to say. Um, err, well, ok, right, look, (and these days) so, all perform this function. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
remove duplicate post

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So  I start a sentence with "so" (if I so wish).  If so, will you look down on me?  If you say so.

But you are using it correctly, as in "as a consequence", rather than what Mr. Boiler correctly calls a meaningless padding word. So, no I shan't.

4 minutes ago, mross said:

What's worse is when people repeat a question you have asked them when there is no way they have misheard you.  It's another 'gap filler'.

Gap filler, yes.

Whoops.

(I used to know someone who did that, repeating one's last few words be they statement or question. Some of us wanted to smite him.)

On 03/10/2017 at 17:38, Mac of Cygnet said:

So  I start a sentence with "so" (if I so wish).  If so, will you look down on me?  If you say so.

And I perversely still enjoy starting a sentence with the word 'and', mainly because it used to annoy Mrs Ellis my HORRID Inglish teecher so spectacliarly.  

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Edit to name the bitch

9 hours ago, Loddon said:

Went to see the film when it was released, the scenes up to and including the caning were far to close to real life for comfort. Saw it again recently brought back all the tremors from public school days.

Strangely IF were also the first band I worked for in my professional career way back in 1971. Touring the USA aged 19 what a job!

ETA Pete Perrett lead singer of The Only Ones was in my year at school and managed to get 150 strokes of the cane in his first two terms.........

I agree with you.

2 hours ago, Timx said:

If , is not really the question, it's 'when'

I'm confused, "If" was probably my all time favourite film, so what's this "when", is it a follow up to If that somehow passed me by?

...........Dave

On 10/2/2017 at 23:47, David Mack said:

... a picture paints a thousand words...

(as an image of gravelly-voiced Telly Savalas comes into my mind)

It's always annoyed me there's a line in that song  (written by David Gates I believe) "If a man could be two places at one time I'd be with you tomorrow and today".

Surely that's being in one place at two times..?

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

It's always annoyed me there's a line in that song  (written by David Gates I believe) "If a man could be two places at one time I'd be with you tomorrow and today".

Surely that's being in one place at two times..?

And it’s not a very difficult thing to achieve. Just don’t move.