Buckby Can

Ruth Brooker

Featured Posts

I have seen a style very similar to the painting on that can & was informed that it had been painted by a lady pottery painter Don't think it was painted by one of the reconised painters Buuuuuuuuuuttttttnot really sure & stand corected

This is being sold by the craft shop a couple of locks down the Buckby flight, which from my experience is not exactly the cheapest place to pick up a bargain.

I see the starting price is £200, but I imagine following recent trends it will probably sell a lot higher.  Prices just seem to be on an upward spiral.

I realise it's all down to personal tastes, but as one who was brought up on "Southern" styles of painting, this really doesn't appeal to me at all, I'm afraid.

A customer sent me pictures of this can earlier this year. I'd love to add to the knowledge, but I'm afraid I can't on this occasion. The style of painting is unfamiliar, quite possibly the work of some one involved in some other decorative medium. 

phone 017.jpeg

phone 019.jpeg

Interesting can. The spout reminds me of an owl, though it's most likely accidental. The castles and lake/shore are more realistic than most canal painters might have done, and the attempt at Knobstick roses hasn't really come off but someone must have been proud of it and rightly so. Maybe a boatman or woman gave it to a non waterways artist and asked them to do some 'traditional' scenes on it.

11 minutes ago, BWM said:

A wonderful old can, but it will need its own security guard to be used and enjoyed. 

But those who know far more about these things than I can claim to don't even seem convinced it was actually executed by a canal painter.

Staggering price, I would say.  I bet the sellers are happy at least!

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But those who know far more about these things than I can claim to don't even seem convinced it was actually executed by a canal painter.

It's more the interesting, heavy looking construction, rather than the painting that appealed to me. I didn't buy it either! 

53 minutes ago, BWM said:

It's more the interesting, heavy looking construction, rather than the painting that appealed to me. I didn't buy it either! 

I have one of those cans and it's on my list one day to produce a replica of them along with the "GU" style ones we are doing.

50 minutes ago, dave moore said:

If you are looking for a new, heavy old style can, then get in touch with Rose Narrowboats at Brinklow. They are making high quality decent cans...I'm collecting a batch for discerning customers soon.

Thank you for the endorsement Dave! See you soon I hope.

9 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I have one of those cans and it's on my list one day to produce a replica of them along with the "GU" style ones we are doing.

Thank you for the endorsement Dave! See you soon I hope.

Look forward to seeing it, your other ones are impressive. Do you know much about the origins of this type of can?

Local to Braunston (so possibly the original "Buckby Can") I think as just about every picture I've seen of cans being painted at Nursers shows this type.

Its construction is quite basic (though time consuming) and is clearly built by someone with very limited tooling, unlike the GU pattern cans which were made by a large concern (Joseph Ash & Sons) in Birmingham.

It will be a while - we're not up to speed with GU 1 gallon pattern yet, and then there's the GU 3 gallon to do.

On 08/10/2017 at 19:58, alan_fincher said:

I have a small Ron Hough water can I bought at Crick for £15!

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 20:13, dave moore said:

If you are looking for a new, heavy old style can, then get in touch with Rose Narrowboats at Brinklow. They are making high quality decent cans...I'm collecting a batch for discerning customers soon.

Here's one of these Rose Narrowboats cans painted by Dave Moore.  We're delighted with this.  It's much more solid and better made than the two Lester cans we have.  I think Dave's artwork will mean that this can will be a future classic.5a3bb9d8db7bb_20171221_131754(1).jpg.ce019757a9192b863caf587699b71841.jpg

• Greenie 1