Angled stove flue roof collar

Featured Posts

Has anyone any idea as to how we get can create a vertical chimney for our narrowboat?  The roof collar was supported on a wooden wedge which is now disintegrating.  It seems that the angled cast iron ones one sees on some boats are bespoke.  Does anyone know who may be able to make one?

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 minute ago, NBDensie said:

Has anyone any idea as to how we get can create a vertical chimney for our narrowboat?  The roof collar was supported on a wooden wedge which is now disintegrating.  It seems that the angled cast iron ones one sees on some boats are bespoke.  Does anyone know who may be able to make one?

Try Midland chandlers. That's where I got a couple from last year.

6 hours ago, NBDensie said:

Where are you, I have a cast iron one I didn't use? I'm about to put it on eBay.

On the other hand you could go the whole hog and make one like outlined in this thread!

I have the same problem, the typical cast iron collar sold in chandlers has a slight angle to fit a sloping roof but it's nowhere near steep enough for my stove pipe installation.  The entire roof collar on my boat is wooden or I should say it was, most of it is probably a mixture of bitumen and gutter sealant by now.  

If anyone knows where you can get a cast or steel collar with a steep camber I'd be most interested. 

A variety of angles of collars used to be available, but not any more I don't think.   Liverpool boats have very arched roofs and have to be built up with either a wooden wedge or car body filler P38 which works well. Don't get hot under the collar about it. Placing the stove in the middle centre of the boat,''central heating'' only needs an ordinary straight collar.

Edited by bizzard

A related question. How far up inside the collar should the flue pipe extend? Presumably it doesn't need to go all the way up to the top of the collar as long as an effective seal can be made. I'm thinking  the shorter the length inside the collar the greater is the degree of angle that can be introduced.

The flue pipe needs to be parallel in the collar not at an angle. At an angle the pipe and collar is likely to be touching metal to metal and will be difficult to pack and seal to stop goo running down the outside of the pipe in the cabin. If an angle is needed it needs to be cut and welded properly.  I prefer on mine the flue pipe to stick well up the collar, sticking out a bit in fact. The top of the pipe is usually the first bit to get rusted and corroded away, which is cooler, so should-will make the pipe last longer as it rusts and corrodes downwards.

Edited by bizzard

Many thanks for all the useful ideas, it seems that one way or another we will be able to get something that looks good.  I have passed them onto our painter who is also investigating someone who can make aluminium collars.  Once we have an agreed solution I will add the information to the thread.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Aluminium collars corrode and crumbled away inside very quickly. I fitted one for someone who bought one and it didn't last one winter, I had to replace it with an iron one.

We'll see how long mine lasts. It weighs in at 6.5kg so there's a lot to corrode away.

• 1 month later...