Ferrybridge Moorings (or anywhere on the A&C)

Nick D

Featured Posts

Those that have seeen my other postings will know that we are shortly to be cruising from our mooring at Fairies Hill (west of Castleford on the A&C) towards York and onto Ripon. Canal Plan is suggesting that our first nights mooring is at Ferrybridge but Nicholson's guide says that moorings here are limited or non existent and indeed that moorings along the A&C are rare.  Can anyone offer advice on this, or perhaps confirm my own thought that we should go a little further and maybe venture a little further along the Aire towards Selby and maybe moor at Beal, though I'm not sure if moorings here are any more plentiful?  As you can probably guess, this is our first time along this section and once we have done it, I hope to be able to offer advice to others on what seems to be a comparatively quieter section of our waterways system.

Thanks Robbo, I thought we might but we prefer to cruise more slowly and would if there were moorings available. Perhaps we should get there quicker and spend more time at the destination rather than on the journey?

13 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Thanks Robbo, I thought we might but we prefer to cruise more slowly and would if there were moorings available. Perhaps we should get there quicker and spend more time at the destination rather than on the journey?

The majority of the cruise to Selby is on the A&C and the bit before Selby canal, it’s not the best bit and you’ll push along as it’s wide n deep.  The best bit to Selby is the river section from Castleford, and Selby canal itself.  If it was me you could nip down to Castleford the evening before and then set off early from Castleford just as the sun is rising.   You’ll get some nice light whilst cruising the river then and also time to enjoy Selby canal.

Edited by Robbo

You can easily do Selby from Fairies Hill in a day, although I prefer West Haddersley if the tides to Naburn aren't too early (1 1/4 hours to Selby). I would expect to get from Fairies Hill to Ferrybridge in less than 4 hours but IMO it's not a particularly nice place to stop.

Plenty of good moorings in Castleford and town is a ten minute walk.

Also plenty of moorings at Ferrybridge. Not much there. A few small shops and a decent pub by the moorings.

We have never moored between Ferrybridge and Beal, as it has never (to us) looked that inviting, but still lots of moorings.

One of our favourites is the floating pontoon at Beal. Limited to two narrowboat to keep the lock landing clear, but very pleasant almost in middle of the village.

Next up is West Haddesley. Room for four or five and very pretty.

The Selby Canal is a delight, but mooring between West Haddesley and Selby  somewhat limited with perhaps only a couple of suitable mooring spots.

Plenty of room in Selby. We like Selby. The town has perhaps seen better days, but still has a certain charm in areas.

Enjoy your trip.

Haddlesey is one of my favourite moorings.  Lovely little sheltered basin after coming off the river, with a really good pub in either direction 10 minutes walk.

The moorings at Ferrybridge were once again secure earlier this year, but why anyone would want to stop there is a mystery to me.

Enjoy the Aire, but don't cut the corners!