So....

Humblespud

Featured Posts

Ok,so, started painting the inside of my boat this morning and got to wondering whether I should be painting the spiders the same colour as the background, or be picking them out in something different. It is not a historic boat, but I thought there might be some more experienced boaters on the forum with views on the correct approach. We are on the Great Ouse, not the canals, so it is an EA area rather than CRT. Ta.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Humblespud said:

Ok,so, started painting the inside of my boat this morning and got to wondering whether I should be painting the spiders the same colour as the background, or be picking them out in something different. It is not a historic boat, but I thought there might be some more experienced boaters on the forum with views on the correct approach. We are on the Great Ouse, not the canals, so it is an EA area rather than CRT. Ta.

Put different coloured paint on each leg as it will make a nice pattern.

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Please, would you make your next thread title a bit more enlightening?  Thanks.

I thought this was about the excellent 1986 album by Peter Gabriel. I did wonder what it was doing in General Boating though.

1 minute ago, mross said:

Well, anything's better than so!  An informative title is just a basic courtesy to forum members.

Ah, but as you have contributed to it, it evidently caught your attention, thereby serving its purpose.

I have, by the way, hidden the duplicate thread, pace Mrsmelly who had posted on it, though only to point out that there were two threads!

1 minute ago, mross said:

By this logic, any title is good!

Of course I agree with you that the ideal thread title gives the prospective reader an idea of what to expect - but you can't deny that Mr. Spud's ploy worked on this occasion.

I was cleaning our car on Thursday (a rare event!) prior to taking it to the dealer to exchange for another one. Thought it best to show some willingness . . . Although my pressure washer was showing signs of imminent expiry, I did use it to pressure wash all over. At the tailgate I noticed that there was more than one spider's web still intact (they usually seem to collect on wing mirrors) and no amount of spraying would remove it. Needed greater manual intervention LTRU.

I report this really only to recall that the thread of spider's webs is supposed to be one of the strongest materials produced naturally. My thought therefore is that we should learn how to train boat spiders into more useful production on our behalf so that we can create ropes and fenders with a longer life (anyone notice the comment in the Britain Afloat programme that said that at one time working boats wore out their bow fenders every trip between London and Brum?)

Or perhaps we could even go further and see how to turn them into fine meshes that could be applied to the outside of our cab sides so that passing excess vegetation (whether we make a trip into it for our own enjoyment of erratic steering or as the result of aggressive centre line occupancy by another) or small projectiles lobbed from overhead bridges or - probably the worst and most unlikely avoidable - banging of windlasses - none of these will damage our pride and joy, leaving it looking just as the day it was so wonderfully and professionally painted!

There is now a new forum bylaw, all post titles to be pmd to Mr Oss for inspection and approval. Or he will get upset. No creativity, no seductive teasers, no smart Alec gimcrack one liners. Be staid and sensible lads. Wear your underpants outside your trousers while posting.

• Greenie 2

On 10/1/2017 at 17:26, mross said:

Well, anything's better than so!  An informative title is just a basic courtesy to forum members.

More than that, it might enable posterity to find out what the OP was blithering well talking about. I rather suspect that a topic search would be singularly unenlightening. 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

More than that, it might enable posterity to find out what the OP was blithering well talking about. I rather suspect that a topic search would be singularly unenlightening. 

Do you really, really think posterity will be interested?

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I've never managed to find anything, ever, with the search function.  It just comes up with a stack of irrelevant pages which is why I have to keep boring everyone with questions you've all heard before.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've never managed to find anything, ever, with the search function.  It just comes up with a stack of irrelevant pages which is why I have to keep boring everyone with questions you've all heard before.

I've pretty much given up on the search engine. I get better hits using Google and including canalworld as one of the keywords. 

22 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Do you really, really think posterity will be interested?

My dictionary defines posterity as "future generations", so on the basis that this site will still be running in another decade or two, yes, possibly (although I used the word in a somewhat pejorative way)!

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My dictionary defines posterity as "future generations", so on the basis that this site will still be running in another decade or two, yes, possibly (although I used the word in a somewhat pejorative way)!

So, are you advocating underage sex?