Pressure washers

blackrose

Featured Posts

I recently used a neighbour'd presure washer to clean my boat. He warned me it might take some paint off, but the only paint it removed completely was the unsound stuff on the stern deck so that was fine. I did notice a cream coloured residue in the river which must have come from the non-slip deck paint on the roof, so it must have taken the surface off, but it looked fine afterwards.

The one I used was a Karcher K4 compact and I was very impressed, but do most people think pressure washers are just too aggressive for their paintwork?

Edited by blackrose

It's not really necessary to be able to adjust the pressure output, you normally have an adjustable nozzle that can vary from a tight jet to a wide fan. The distance you hold the nozzle from the surface also makes a big difference - the closer you get, the more aggressive it is. I find this gives plenty of control.

You do need to be careful though, even on good paintwork it's possible to damage the paint if you go at it too hard with a tight spray close in.

Personally I find ours useful for a quick, low-effort wash down, but it won't shift everything, and you get a fair bit of backspray of dirty water over other surfaces nearby, so you need to plan your approach and rinse off afterwards.

31 minutes ago, Jon12345 said:

Karcher have an outlet store for refurbished stuff. I bought a steam cleaner off them and its been fine.

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=5100

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=5420

I have bought a couple of things from the outlet. Been fine.

They can remove paint, especially if you have any micro-blistering.

Ii would use a shampoo, sponge and brush, for cleaning boat paintwork.........

The K4,s are good, the new model has an adjustable pressure spray.

I spent some time as a boat valet and our boss would not let a pressure washer near a boat other than on teak decks (we had a special technique for that)

I always wince when I see people pressure washing canopies ans cratch covers, the stitching us very vulnerable, it is so much better and quicker to clean them my way. People would pay a min £250 for a clean.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose