March of the Wide Beams

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Oh, I do like a food based quiz - does anyone remember the Sandwich Quiz on Number 73?

It's the daring, dazzling, death defyingly dull, devastatingly dangerous, delectable, delicatessen-able, divinely decadent Sandwich Quiz!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you are correct - remember it was on a Thursday (not a Friday) and those were the days when 'Muffin the Mule' was not a sexual offence

"

The show was introduced with the phrase "It's Friday, it's five o'clock. . . It's Crackerjack!" or sometimes with "It's Friday, it's five to five. . . It's Crackerjack!"

When Eamonn Andrews presented Crackerjack! the show was on a Thursday not a Friday. It moved to a Friday when Leslie Crowther took over presenting the show. Another children's programme, Blue Peter, which was on once a week on Mondays, then went twice weekly filling the Thursday slot vacated by Crackerjack."

• Greenie 1

I have never knowingly Muffined a Mule, and it was always " Its Friday, its Five O'Clock, and its Crackerjack".

I have also never known about Blue Peter stealing a Thursday episode, that would have been a national disaster....bit like a elefunt pooing on the floor.

nephew has 2, yes 2 blue peter badges.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

Did I see a new fatboat sail away being craned in at Braunston today?

It managed to get about 100 yards down in the direction of the junction, i.e. On the water point by Friday morning. Nice and wide there now they have cut the bushes back. Looks like it needs a paint job. I think I would have a Mr Blobby colour scheme for it. SWMBO thinks they should be banned. I just laugh (at them). What is the point? I suppose it's cheaper than a house.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Bacon sandwich - lovely. 

SWMBO made one of them today for me as we navigated past the big fat boat in Braunston ..........back on topic!

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

I seem to recall that when I first started watching it it was 5.00, but later it started at 4.55.

I feel we might be both giving our age away here.

:unsure:

While we're :offtopic:...........

Does anyone else recall a kids show on ITV called 'Nice Time'?

It featured the unlikely combination of Kenny Everett and Germaine Greer.

37 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

No, but I do remember 'Bill and Ben' which featured the unlikely combination of Bill and Weed!

Coming from Braunston to Hillmorton yesterday Bridge 88 is has been struck a few times with chunks of brickwork missing on the offside corner and the Armco piling on the opposite has pulled away from the brick thus reducing the width. I'm not saying it was wide boats but the sticking out piling could cause problems to the wider boats. Like the one at Braunston that we too came past. 

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Jonathan Routh was in that, who I vividly remember from Candid Camera.   

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

You can still get sandwich spread in Australia I think  they sent all the old stock there along with the abba records

Non sequitur of the day award!

It is also sold in Britain.