Is it time for a new National Waterways Festival

Heartland

Featured Posts

The IWA National was an institution that brought boaters and the general public together. Organisation, costs and location became troublesome factors in the end and the IWA chose to end what had become the highlight of the canal festival calendar. They were a symbol of the canal restoration movement and a question that can be asked is that movement in decline. Are the many obstacles now facing canal restoration easily dealt with by the internet instead of the face to face dialogue that has helped in the past? Perhaps not, but the issues encountered at Watford appear to have sealed the Nationals fate, but is it permanent? If there is a change of opinion where could a new National be held?

The IWA Nationals also used to be held in places that didn't get a lot of boaters (Castlefields, Wigan, Windmill End) as a way of encouraging people to actually take their boats somewhere a bit different to their usual main "ring" cruising, and also as a way of showing the "locals" that their canal was more than a polluted ditch.   I know that at Wigan and Castlefields the National helped re-vitalise the area (although Wigan has slipped a long way back to decrepitude since). Wigan actually made money!!

Edited by StephenA

Anybody who made the mistake of visiting that disastrous last National at Watford would have realised what a spectacularly bad idea it was, and just how far things have moved on whilst the IWA has remained stuck in time, resting on its former laurels.

The sight of a band of IWA grandees in their blue sweatshirsts milling around in a large marquee where they outnumbered visitors by at least 2 to 1 demonstrates just how far they were out of touch with most boat owners these days.  Lines of turnstiles, (yes honestly), that almost nobody passed through told a real story.

My view is that event was a near perfect model of how not to do things, (and how to squander large amounts of cash at the same time), and a pretty fair indicator that whatever boaters and the public want, that certainly wasn't it.  Once you were inside, despite all the spend, there really was little to attract and keep you there.

Admittedly I'm biased, because I feel the IWA has lost it's way, still seeking to be some kind of exclusive body that has CRT in its pocket, with little concept now that there are huge swathes of boaters out there who simply don't agree with the policies and aims of such an organisation, (let alone some of the more bigoted types allegedly speaking on behalf of the organisation).

I'm sure the IWA still has many excellent people at grass roots level - well actually I know it has.  However would I now be tempted to some mega event promoted by the IWA?  I would need some persuading!

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Probably not a lot of point until boaters and their interests are given receive more attention. Its no use bragging about 300, 400, 600 boats attending unless there is more for the boaters than evening entertainment they can not get into, expensive food, and a degree of daytime entertainment. Not everyone is likes sitting in a bar all day drinking. I am still trying to work out what Chity Chity Bang Bang and a couple pretending to be drunk wandering about has to do with boating.

At last at Crick there is more than one chandlery type stall, unlike later nationals.

I tried my best to provide something for boaters at no cost, apart from the pitch, to the IWA but they eventually wanted paying for that as well as me giving my time and expertise.

Personally I suspect what is needed is not more Nationals but a new IWA that is not in CaRT's pocket, has developed some teeth, and pays more attention to boaters and canal restoration interests. At present it looks more  like a sideshow to me.

This^^^^^    When I first went on the waterways 7 years ago I joined the IWA as I saw them as the organisation that had saved the canals for the benefit of us. They did do that but now, as Tony points out, they don't seem to do much, if anything, for the benefit of the canals and boaters. The people who actually run the show appear to think that boaters are a liability  that, if they could, would be best got rid of. I am no longer on the waterways having got fed up of CRT's constant, apparent, vendetta against boaters. The organisation that I thought would have at least buffered that does nothing in my opinion.

Interesting comments, I haven't been an IWA memeber for many years finishing with it when BWB sponsored a rally way back. I compared it to Watneys ( remember them) sponsoring Camra. Before that I had been very involved becoming chair of the eastern region and a council member. The national rallies were then held in places that were either needing publicity or even bringing the state of the waterway to local and national attention. Most of the then council members were boat owners or part of the restoration movement .it started to go wrong when a secretary was appointed who came from the RSPB who was nicknamed bird brain, the then chairman just let him run the organization and he was cossying up to BW and the ministry to further his own ambition. At meetings we would find out that things had been agreed without discussion by the council and at one it was reported that I was awkward at a BW consultative meeting because I brought up some inconvenient facts. Running coal boats and Camping boats never made me a fan of BW and no doubt we were a thorn in their side. We were once told by a senior engineer that he could run a perfect canal without any boats, at least that attitude has changed.

i think rallies did some good looking back Lymn certainly, the first Northampton one which turned out to be really big and nearly overwhelmed us, Peterborough brought focus to the Fenland waterways and Dudley to the state of the Black  ountry canals.

mustnt live in the past though and I would expect at some time in the future a campaigning rally will be badly needed.

david

15 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Gave up on the IWA years ago. Not seen anything to tempt me back.

Quite a few years ago when I was an IWA menber, I booked into the IWA "National" when it was held at Beale Park on the Thames. Unfortunately our family was unable to attend by boat as my daughter was rushed into hospital a week or so before the event. However, as it transpired she was now out of danger, my wife suggested that I could attend by car for a day away from hospital visiting.

As my boat had been allocated a pretty central mooring spot at the festival, I made a beeline for the IWA tent to inform them that my boat would not be attending and explained the reason why, which would perhaps help the organisers  move another boat into its place. One of the very nice ladies working in the tent suggested that at least I could take my boaters pack, which I hadn't considered at the time. As she was about to hand it over a rather officious gentleman, who must have overheard the conversation, strode over and announced that I wasn't entitled to my boater's pack as my boat was not there. Now to be honest, I wasn't really bothered either way about receiving the pack, but this guy's attitude annoyed me, so I argued that as I had paid my entry fee (which he wasn't prepared to refund) and had signed in I was entitled to my pack, presence of boat or not. He thought about it for a moment, then put his hand in the bag and removed the rally plaque, said "Well you're not having this then" turned and stormed off. Sadly, I was so shocked and surprised that I didn't find out his name. Very annoyed at his attitude, I left. I have met and know some lovely people in the IWA ranks, and think the WRG do a sterling job.

However, after this incident, unsurprisingly, I felt no desire to renew my IWA membership, and have not done so since.

The general comments so far have been rather negative as regards the IWA. But  I, personally, have not had the same issues so far. With the sales stands that I ran for the RCHS at Wolverhampton and Burton, there was no real issues and I believe both events were well attended. As to Watford I went there for a book signing on the warm Saturday. It was a difficult site to get to and having walked across the park asking officials (ie park security) there where the boat festival was had the answer "dunno mate". When I did get there, the split site of stands and boats looked to be user unfriendly.

I do think that a national event should be organised in the future, if only to focus attention again on a waterways. Whether the IWA should be entrusted to the organisation can only be a matter of debate. But then who else can do it?

Edited by Heartland

42 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The general comments so far have been rather negative as regards the IWA. But  I, personally, have not had the same issues so far. With the sales stands that I ran for the RCHS at Wolverhampton and Burton, there was no real issues and I believe both events were well attended. As to Watford I went there for a book signing on the warm Saturday. It was a difficult site to get to and having walked across the park asking officials (ie park security) there where the boat festival was had the answer "dunno mate". When I did get there, the split site of stands and boats looked to be user unfriendly.

I do think that a national event should be organised in the future, if only to focus attention again on a waterways. Whether the IWA should be entrusted to the organisation can only be a matter of debate. But then who else can do it?

IWA are still running The Festival of Water the next one is at St Neots    https://www.waterways.org.uk/events_festivals/festival_water/IWA_festival_water

It was time for a new National Waterways Festival as long ago as the mid 80s.

Instead of focussing on shaming the mismanagement of our canals by the government through BWB by holding their rallies at vulnerable places they sold out.  Agreeing to dance with the devil they joined forces with BWB and plumped for going to such out of the way places like Milton Keynes, Coventry, Waltham Abbey ...... and they honestly thought we didn't notice.

Instead of organising clearance parties and involving local media they concentrated instead on competitions funded by trade sponsors like boat builders whom ironically were advertising boats that were narrower and ever shallower!

Instead of "Look at how we're about to lose this stretch of historic canal" The cry was "Look at how nice your boat is, is my boat nice too?" 

I'm not saying there is no market for floating caravan events with self congratulatory competitions and beer tents.  They clearly fill a market need but not instead of a campaigning event surely?

I still see a need for highlighting the things that are wrong, especially now that CRT is inviting everyone and their dog (only an expression I have nothing against dogs, just their owners) onto the towpath while putting the paying boater behind everybody else.

Surely if The IWA need a cause then there's plenty of scope to do some meaningful work without looking too hard. e.g. -

• The probable long term aggravation of inviting cyclists onto the towpaths without consultation or joined up thinking.
  • CRT volunteer program extending from helping boaters through locks (a redundant occupation) to "Why not come and help with the Winter maintenance program doing new lockgate fitting and bricklaying" A far from redundant job, moreover one needing professional trades that require skill, knowledge and a wage.
  • Live aboards flouting the rules and hogging visitor moorings.
  • Sensible rules for continuous cruisers.
  • House owners living near canals making up their own rules and signs to match.
  • Angling clubs not seeing the need to consult with other stakeholders when deciding to monopolise a stretch.

I am not suggesting for a second the above is an exhaustive list nor are they the priorities, I'm merely suggesting it isn't rocket surgery to see unsettled issues worth chasing if .... there really are no further stretches of navigation or historical basins worth shouting about.

In the 70s I put a bequest in my will for IWA, I was a member I used their insurance services and regularly attended local meetings. I cancelled all of that in the mid 80s and see no overall benefit to change my mind.

If IWA or an alternative true campaigning group think that the list above was worth highlighting then they could be put on the agenda of a "Let's get it right" event held somewhere suffering triple moored towpath hoggers.

Alternatively you can all just keep going to IWA rallies, enjoy the beer tents and praise each other for their most traditionally decorated cruiser stern. IWA will benefit by raising funds to enable them to carry on doing ...... errr ...... more rallies?

Edited by zenataomm
Jehovas Witless at the door.
  • Love 1

Having left the canals for family heath reasons some time ago but still retaining an interest it seems over time the folk in the driving seat consider & encourage all forms of use of canal & surroundings by every one except the group of folk it was designed/built for "BOATERS" but screw that particular group for ever more money & less & less maintenance & points raised by groups paying very little or nothing are considered straight away & yet stoppages get longer & more frequent boater pay for a 12 month license & yet in certain areas in the winter months have very little chance of cruising if they wanted to So Sad

56 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Having left the canals for family heath reasons some time ago but still retaining an interest it seems over time the folk in the driving seat consider & encourage all forms of use of canal & surroundings by every one except the group of folk it was designed/built for "BOATERS" but screw that particular group for ever more money & less & less maintenance & points raised by groups paying very little or nothing are considered straight away & yet stoppages get longer & more frequent boater pay for a 12 month license & yet in certain areas in the winter months have very little chance of cruising if they wanted to So Sad

What is even more sad is that the IWA seems to have negated to bring an pressure on CaRT to improve things for boaters, in fact it seem to me the opposite is true.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What is even more sad is that the IWA seems to have negated to bring an pressure on CaRT to improve things for boaters, in fact it seem to me the opposite is true.

I know lots of local IWA people who do magnificent jobs especially when they adopt certain stretches and support local initiatives. 

I have also witnessed some of the top leveI IWA 'I know better than you' blokes come out with some astoundingly incorrect facts, totally selfish comments and downright boorishness because you are not in their club.

The IW@ as it stands now is irrelevant as to its initial movement aims, and increasingly marginalised by better organised restoration groups and charities.

It also doesn't appear to be able to cope with the changing way that the canals are used, trying to influence CRT with 'clever ideas' on stopping it, rather than adapting and moving forward.

I saw the Watford debacle, smaller local events still work well, and Crick seems to be moving back to a more relevant show.

I have yet to see any input from the IWA into the slow deterioration of our canals and infrastructure, when I do, I might be interested in them again.

For a National to attract the widest group of people decent transport services need to be included. This would include good parking and not the bogged down fields that are found at some sites. Public transport is also an important factor. A main factor would be boat access and a location where boaters have the space to moor up and a good harbour master to organise them. Another factor would be trade stands at a cost effective price. Then there is the society stands that reflect current restoration schemes as well as the long standing societies who have served particular canals or areas of boating. Current events fail to reflect the total spectrum, which the National went farther to achieve.

It may need a central location instead of moving around the country, although a nomadic festival does have the advantage of highlighting specific canal issues.

If a central location was chosen then there are possibilities in the North East, North West and East Midlands, especially where both wide boats and narrow boats might reach. In this way the major boat ownership would be catered for. I sort of feel that Greater Manchester has possibilities in this regard. There are locations where all groups of boaters might reach and transport by rail and road are good.  

Yet there are dangers in choosing a central site ans needs re-invention from time to time. The Royal Show was peripatetic for a number of years, and then settled at Stoneliegh. Whilst the RASE are still there the show has now ceased to be! 

I wonder, did those complaining actually go to the Northampton, Pelsall and Ilkeston festivals?

The reality is that there are decreasing numbers of people with the interest and time to go to such events.  Many of the boaters active in the past are no longer on the water and there havent been sufficient new people taking up the lifestyle.  This isnt just a boating problem.  As people active in local societies whether it's nature groups, craft societies, sports clubs etc are finding, the memberships are dwindling and the committees are getting smaller and older.  The facebook generation seem to have little interest in communal activities.

44 minutes ago, NBDensie said:

I wonder, did those complaining actually go to the Northampton, Pelsall and Ilkeston festivals?

The reality is that there are decreasing numbers of people with the interest and time to go to such events.  Many of the boaters active in the past are no longer on the water and there havent been sufficient new people taking up the lifestyle.  This isnt just a boating problem.  As people active in local societies whether it's nature groups, craft societies, sports clubs etc are finding, the memberships are dwindling and the committees are getting smaller and older.  The facebook generation seem to have little interest in communal activities.

Not sure if I'm "the Facebook generation" or not - I make regular use of it, but also now draw my state pension!

Various things have heavily restricted our normal visiting of many boating festivals and gatherings this year, including a major breakdown on one of the boats, and more recently an adult  son who has smashed his ankle up very badly.  None-the-less we have been in 2017 to the HNBC gathering at Brownhills, the Rickmansworth Festival (2 boats), the Foxton Locks Festival, and the Braunston Historic Boats Gathering. (We lost both the Alvecote gathering and the Stoke Bruerne Village at War because of the smashed ankle).  Of these the only one I would not eagerly repeat another year was Foxton Locks, where frankly the actual festival site away from the canal yielded little of interest to us.

All the events I have mentioned attracted large numbers of visiting boats, and large numbers of members of the general public.  All I would guess were classed as very successful.

So, on balance, I don't think I agree.  If the communal event is a good one, well planned, of a suitable size, and with the right things to draw in both boaters and the public, then I believe they will succeed, and this type of event is doing just as well as it ever has done.

Of course it is possible to say "why don't you also take your boat(s) to big IWA organised events as well", but it is actually a major trip out for us each and every time we head off for one, so of course I am going to be choosy about how many events we can do, given that we can't possibly do them all.  Based on everything I hear, most IWA run events don't offer anything that attracts me as much as some of these others.

For balance, I must say it is not purely an "anti-IWA" bias that is guiding me.  I would also have little desire to visit, for example, the Crick show.  I have little interest in modern boats, many unsuitable for actually travelling the canals they end up on, fitted out like luxury flats, and with massive price tags - it is simply not what I come to the canals for.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, NBDensie said:

The reality is that there are decreasing numbers of people with the interest and time to go to such events.  Many of the boaters active in the past are no longer on the water and there havent been sufficient new people taking up the lifestyle.  

There are more and more people taking up the lifestyle, whether to livaboard, spend 6 months a year cruising or just weekend boating in the Summers. Boat Sales reflect this. 

I did go to the Northampton festival(and got very wet), there were more boaty type stalls than Watford, but it was still a bit flat, the band in the tent so loud that you couldn't chat in there anyway.  

I think the main reason we lost interest in attending the big IWA festivals was because we always seemed to be allocated a mooring space a long long way from the festival. Huddlesfield,  Burton on trent Twice, Preston Brook spring to mind. Walking over a mile both ways several times a day detracted somewhat from our enjoyment. This was when we brought our little Sea Otter down from Scotland on a trailer too attend. 

After a gap of several years we attended this year's event on the Erewash ( on Kelpie)  and I must admit it didn't give me the enthusiasm to go to another one 

Yes  we were almost at the end of the moorings again despite having booked early 

I must admit that  my laziness to cancel my membership is the reason we are still members of the IWA 

Haggis 

We visited Ilkeston this year. As we run the Boatyard closest to the site it was a good opportunity to get out and talk to people. The stalls were good and the boats looked great. But. With the exception of Primrose Engineering who have a good stall, and the stove supplier, there was no other stands for boaters supplies. Not everyone who visited was obviously a boater but they were a large demographic who were.

I feel for a waterways festival there should have been more stalls for "bits and bobs" and basic chandlery.

Dan

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I feel for a waterways festival there should have been more stalls for "bits and bobs" and basic chandlery.

Dan

The upper echelons of the IWA have no need for chandlery and other stuff, they expect to moor on rings at 5pm outside their favourite pub on August bank holiday without having to purchase mooring pins or other normal equipment.

This is not a joke,  this was stated at a CRT meeting by one of the IWA national exec.

Just now, matty40s said:

The upper echelons of the IWA have no need for chandlery and other stuff, they expect to moor on rings at 5pm outside their favourite pub on August bank holiday without having to purchase mooring pins or other normal equipment.

This is not a joke,  this was stated at a CRT meeting by one of the IWA national exec.

I attended the new style IWA festival at Saul Junction by car and have not attended any others, but I would say that I think the people organising them today are very down to earth people, not as you describe as the upper echelons of the IWA. I think that ended at Watford. I would like to attend next years down the Gt Ouse but just wont have time to fit it in with other things I want to do.

• Greenie 1