Ideal Pram Hood design

jddevel

Featured Posts

OK so I know there are going to be those commenting you don`t need or shouldn`t have one but for too many years in the work place I`ve suffered the rages of British weather and I do not intend to do so whilst enjoying my later years on my own canal boat. SO what`s the ultimate design for a semi-trad stern bearing in mind access, speed of removal/lowering in necessary circumstances, canvass or PVC ( aesthetically prefer canvass but cleaning a pain) and finally how to store when normally cruising but available at night to help keep the draught out. Pictures or pointers/links the ideal solution will be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

OK so I know there are going to be those commenting you don`t need or shouldn`t have one but for too many years in the work place I`ve suffered the rages of British weather and I do not intend to do so whilst enjoying my later years on my own canal boat. SO what`s the ultimate design for a semi-trad stern bearing in mind access, speed of removal/lowering in necessary circumstances, canvass or PVC ( aesthetically prefer canvass but cleaning a pain) and finally how to store when normally cruising but available at night to help keep the draught out. Pictures or pointers/links the ideal solution will be much appreciated.

Things of the devil................:D

• Haha 1

I don't want a canopy. I want something like you find on steam rollers, with side extensions that are bendable on bridge oles, and with a Heath Robinson gadget that allows the whole contraption to be lowered whilst the boat is in motion and raised again after the bridge ole. 

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I don't want a canopy. I want something like you find on steam rollers, with side extensions that are bendable on bridge oles, and with a Heath Robinson gadget that allows the whole contraption to be lowered whilst the boat is in motion and raised again after the bridge ole. 

I believe they are called "umbrellas" :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

and I aim to have a trial version built this winter.

Edited by system 4-50

We've had one made for our semi-trad. Wouldn't be without it. Gives us an extra room when we moor up for the night and with two dogs that is important.

Couple of things that we specified to make it convenient. Firstly, front screen can be completely zipped out so that with side screens removed as well, it just provides a canopy for shade or shelter from showers. On wet days on the Thames (where bridges are higher) we can cruise with the canopy up.

Secondly, to ensure that the stainless steel hoops do not obstruct access to the boat, the hoops are on sliding rails on the sides of the semi-trad. Hence when the canopy is laid down the hoops slide forward, keeping the whole thing clear of the access hatch.

Ours in canvas. more flexible for folding down.

When we moor I can have the whole thing up, screen and sides fitted and water-tight in about 5 minutes.

Ours was made by Tim at AM Marine Trim, based at Windsor Marina. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, jddevel said:

Constructive please!!!!

Its not possible to be constructive they are things of the devil which serve no purpose ....................for instance

If its raining right minded people are moored up and/or in the pub, life is too short to boat in the rain

As an extra space to keep " stuff " again useless cos where do you put the " stuff " when you have lowered the silly thing?

If you feel you need more " space " then buy a whole boat and get rid of the silly 57 footer you bought to " go anywhere " on because its probably like most going nowhere anyway 

Pram hoods are for babies carriages hence the name " PRAM Hood " ;)

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Its not possible to be constructive they are things of the devil which serve no purpose ....................for instance

If its raining right minded people are moored up and/or in the pub, life is too short to boat in the rain

As an extra space to keep " stuff " again useless cos where do you put the " stuff " when you have lowered the silly thing?

If you feel you need more " space " then buy a whole boat and get rid of the silly 57 footer you bought to " go anywhere " on because its probably like most going nowhere anyway 

Pram hoods are for babies carriages hence the name " PRAM Hood " ;)

Thank you for your personal view. One assumes you have a 72 foot traditional narrowboat?

8 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Thank you for your personal view. One assumes you have a 72 foot traditional narrowboat?

No this one is tiny its 68 feet so is also way too small for a bowthruster another thing of the devil  ;)

• Haha 1

I've had a boat with one and I wouldn't have another but I'll try and be constructive.

If you do any sort of serious cruising on a narrowboat, and by that I mean covering the whole network, you will soon realise that anything which increases the height/profile of a narrowboat steering platform, or impedes visibility,  creates a serious impediment to progress.  

If, OTOH you intend to restrict your cruising to a particular area where there are few low bridges/tunnels tight turns and narrows you could have the luxury of a covered cockpit.  Or if you do mostly river crusing. 

For example, you'll see a lot of pram covers on the Bridgewater canal and most of them remain up whilst cruising, but why not on the Bridgewater as there are no locks, no dodgy bridges and blind corners and let's be honest it does rain rather a lot.  I can't think of many other canals where you routinely see boats cruising with the pram cover up. 

It's the same with the dutch barge style boat, some of them are lovely looking things but we followed one up the South Stratford last year and to watch the performance of dismantling the wheelhouse every time a lowish bridge was encountered was painful.  But of course if it's raining you can't leave it down as it is part of the "living" accommodation.   

I think some of the disadvantages can be addressed by clever design, I agree a removable front panel is a must.  But I can think of several canals where you would end up either just waiting for the rain to stop or leaving the cover off altogether.   

I consider boating, and especially narrowboating, to be an outdoor activity.  A pram cover is useful as a shelter when moored though so the main thing is make sure it can be easily erected, dismantled, and stowed.

• Greenie 1

We have one, fitted 5/6 years ago when Wilson’s of Kinver were  still trading, we rarely cruise with it up ( exceptions River Weaver, Bridgewater & Thames, but then only if it’s chucking it down) 

It takes a couple of minutes to take down or put up, wouldn’t be without it, somewhere to air laundry if weather is iffy,  great when coming in from the wet with the dog, very much like a porch on a house. We do live aboard & find the extra space useful, wouldn’t be without it.

They are not the most aesthetic of things but our boat is a fairly bog standard ordinary modern affair  so no great shakes in the beauty department though if we had a lovely old trad I doubt I would desecrate it with a pram hood ;)

2013-06-06 10.58.44.jpg

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I consider boating, and especially narrowboating, to be an outdoor activity.  A pram cover is useful as a shelter when moored though so the main thing is make sure it can be easily erected, dismantled, and stowed.

I appreciate your comments Neil2 and feel that the idea of a sliding bars as one contributor has suggested sounds a possibility. I would add that my purpose of purchasing a narrowboat is to re-visit many of the canals we have visited in the 50+ years of hiring. However this time as a leisure cruiser there will be no need to rush out and then back to base marina before the Saturday 10 am deadline. It also means that the arrival at bridges, tunnels and locks will be a better planned and more leisurely occasion. I will certainly not be adverse to stopping, lowering the hood should it on such occasion be necessary whilst enjoying a cuppa, tinney or a stroll. I am hoping that a suitable design will be no higher than say solar panels (yet to be acquired and fitted)  when in the lowered position. We will have to see.

2 minutes ago, Jamboat said:

They are not the most aesthetic of things but our boat is a fairly bog standard ordinary modern affair  so no great shakes in the beauty department though if we had a lovely old trad I doubt I would desecrate it with a pram hood ;)

I fully agree with you Jamboat. I have two points regarding this. Firstly as people often comment on the beauty of the car they own (Ferrari for example) or a house  I reply that when sat in it it is only the "passer by" who enjoys the view. Secondly as a classic car nut who has owned for example prewar two cars including a Rolls Royce and many "proper " MGs I also recognize the enthusiasm and care owners bestow  on their pride and joy. It`s horses for courses but as stated when I`ve spent many years in both rain and freezing weather on building sites I do not wish to portray my hardiness by cruising on a rain lashed canal but be able to make a choice as to whether I want/need to carry on or just hove to.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No this one is tiny its 68 feet

I`ve purchased a semi-trad and we`ve called it "Time Together" as for too many years I`ve spent working virtually seven days a week and missed the opportunity normal employment would have afforded me with my children and family. I am hoping that this design will give me the chance to make up for that and at least spend quality time with both my wife, children and grandchildren in the secure space a  semi-trad can offer. As I`ve stated "horses for courses"

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I`ve purchased a semi-trad and we`ve called it "Time Together" as for too many years I`ve spent working virtually seven days a week and missed the opportunity normal employment would have afforded me with my children and family. I am hoping that this design will give me the chance to make up for that and at least spend quality time with both my wife, children and grandchildren in the secure space a  semi-trad can offer. As I`ve stated "horses for courses"

Mines a semi trad..........I was informed by the wife that this boat was going to be a semi trad as we hadn't had one before and I am doing as I am told. :D

31 minutes ago, Jamboat said:

We have one, fitted 5/6 years ago when Wilson’s of Kinver were  still trading, we rarely cruise with it up ( exceptions River Weaver, Bridgewater & Thames, but then only if it’s chucking it down) 

It takes a couple of minutes to take down or put up, wouldn’t be without it, somewhere to air laundry if weather is iffy,  great when coming in from the wet with the dog, very much like a porch on a house. We do live aboard & find the extra space useful, wouldn’t be without it.

2013-06-06 10.58.44.jpg

Love the cat we had one like that living a board years ago with us. Do you grow tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse? :)

26 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I fully agree with you Jamboat. I have two points regarding this. Firstly as people often comment on the beauty of the car they own (Ferrari for example) or a house  I reply that when sat in it it is only the "passer by" who enjoys the view. Secondly as a classic car nut who has owned for example prewar two cars including a Rolls Royce and many "proper " MGs I also recognize the enthusiasm and care owners bestow  on their pride and joy. It`s horses for courses but as stated when I`ve spent many years in both rain and freezing weather on building sites I do not wish to portray my hardiness by cruising on a rain lashed canal but be able to make a choice as to whether I want/need to carry on or just hove to.

Absolutely & we, being retired, are in the lucky position of not usually needing to cruise in the rain unless we really have to :) 

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

20 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I`ve purchased a semi-trad and we`ve called it "Time Together" as for too many years I`ve spent working virtually seven days a week and missed the opportunity normal employment would have afforded me with my children and family. I am hoping that this design will give me the chance to make up for that and at least spend quality time  both my lwife, children and grandchildren in the secure space a  semi-trad can offer. As I`ve stated "horses for courses"

Mines a semi trad..........I was informed by the wife that this boat was going to be a semi trad as we hadn't had one before and I am doing as I am told. :D

42 minutes ago, Jamboat said:

2013-06-06 10.58.44.jpg

Love the cat we had one like that living a board years ago with us. Do you grow tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse? :)

That’s Sid, loves the boating life,

Haven’t grown anything as yet........

My pram hood is invaluable. I have a wooded rear cruiser deck and it saves a lot of maintenance. My engine bay is bone dry. I never cruise with it up and I do cruise in the rain. I don't care if people don't like it, it performs a function. There are lots of things I don't like on other peoples boats and I wouldn't want them on my boat but it's their choice.

• Greenie 1

We have one too, it is removed during the summer thus allowing time to relax on the cruiser stern in the sun.

It is up during the winter , keeping the back dry and allows dry storage of coal. 

We never cruise with it up but as has been said it is a personal choice whether to have one or not.

I had Kinver Canopies put a hood up on my boat for my son when he was living on the boat for a year and this August and September was the first time I have cruised with it.  It does get in the way when single handing locks etc as I can no longer step up onto the roof so easily but I could sort this by finding a way to lock my hatch lid open.  Then when I stand on it it wont move!

But I have loved having it.  When it rains you can cruise with it up so long as you have rolled up the front 'window' (looking through when it is down and raining is impossible).  And by having a useful length of string around the back hoop means you can push it down before a bridge and hoik it back up again afterwards.  To facilitate this you do have to flick the press studs down each side before setting off.  When you have moored up again it is a quick drop of the front and back windows, zip and push press studs back on.  Excellent for drying your washing over the warm engine.

It keeps the boat a lot warmer and if you are in a poor signal area you can put your laptop on the hatch and do some work even if it is raining as I have had to do on two occasions.  You can work on the engine in the warm and dry.  I call it my conservatory.  It is hideous but I wouldn't be without it now.

P1030098.JPG