Britain Afloat Narrowboat Episode

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Probably one of the Hatton locks, before the narrow locks would have been turned into wier eventually.

Not sure but I think it's Koukavagia Jim steering..:lol:

Sorry no idea which lock. Matty can't be OWL as it is a GUCCCo motor, Owl was an FMC - takes pedant hat off. :captain:

I think one of the few constants of narrow lock construction is that the top gate balance beam is always on the towingpath side (someone will instantly come up with exception to that rule in 3,2,1....) so I also think Calcutt top lock as the wooden walkway makes sense for access from the lock keeper's house/toll office.

The other thing that intrigues me about that photo is that the visible bottom gate of the narrow lock has had the balance beam chopped off, and then piece of timber bolted back on - I guess we'll never know why!

The Narrow Boat programme was funded by BBC East Midlands and was part of the work of the "Inside out" team. They had loads of information and only used a small part in the programme, it wouldn't surprise me if a more lengthy programme is produced at a later date. Their interest in Harefield was good too and comments were passed that this in itself could form a programme basis. In all for its 30 minute slot I thought it was well edited and presented with the majority of facts correct, indeed they went to some length to ensure facts were true and not heresay.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I think one of the few constants of narrow lock construction is that the top gate balance beam is always on the towingpath side (someone will instantly come up with exception to that rule in 3,2,1....)

There's definitely exception to that on the Aylesbury Arm of the GU, but please don't ask me which lock number.

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Quite a few exceptions actually on the Aylesbury Arm, with some random ones the "normal" way round.

Yes, thinking about it, that's right.

I wonder why that was, as it would have meant extra walking in the days when the exit gates were left open.

17 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I think one of the few constants of narrow lock construction is that the top gate balance beam is always on the towingpath side (someone will instantly come up with exception to that rule in 3,2,1....) so I also think Calcutt top lock as the wooden walkway makes sense for access from the lock keeper's house/toll office.

The other thing that intrigues me about that photo is that the visible bottom gate of the narrow lock has had the balance beam chopped off, and then piece of timber bolted back on - I guess we'll never know why!

How about Duke's Cut Lock, which has single gates at each end and the balance beams on different sides. From memory the lower gate is on the non-towpath side.