Split-charge relay energised with engine off

DavidExpert

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, DavidExpert said:

It does sit in a hot engine bay with no side slits in the hull for air. Also, for all I know it's the original (17 year old) item so maybe it's just had its time. Anyway, I will order a replacement and many thanks for the prompt, useful and understandable help! Cheers

It's one of the brilliant things about this forum that there is such high traffic that you can usually engage an expert in real time for almost any problem. We're the other fourth emergency service!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update some days later; with the boat blacking done I could finally get around to swapping the old alternator for a new one today. The old one came off easily enough, the new one largely went on without too many issues though as someone suggested, I did have to swap the (thin, v-shaped) pulley on the new one with the old (lots of little v-shapes) pulley.

That was a right palaver, since I lack the appropriate tools but a large spanner on the pulley nut (banged with a lump hammer) with a screwdriver simultaneously shoved into the old alternator to stop it spinning gave me enough leverage to get the old one off. The new one I had to use the same technique for but a bit more carefully since I didn't want to mess the new one up. Managed it somehow, swapped the pulleys, installed the new one and it works (well, the batteries immediately showed 14.5V as soon as the engine started, having previously been showing 13.something with the engine off). So once again thanks for all the help.

(edit) Oh, and should also mention that the new alternator is not steaming hot while everything's off, either!

Edited by DavidExpert
  • Happy 1