2017 Pub Cruise

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Just now, Tonka said:

Gives you a chance to do the rest of the pubs on the Macclesfield. I reckon you missed more then you have done

Point me to the best ones!  I deliberately try to avoid repeating pubs I've already commented on in the previous 3 years Pub Cruises, (unless they are unmissable) so the chances are I've already visited most of the ones you have in mind.  I'm not going back down Bosley, but Bollington and Macclesfield still have some to offer......

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Well you missed the Wharf at Gurnet. Recently refurbished and the pub at Sutton ?. Also missed the GBG pub in Whaley Bridge but you were probably put off by the for sale sign outside

I've already commented on the Wharf (Macclesfield, rather than Gurnet?) and the pub(s) at Sutton previously.  There is only one 2018 GBG pub in Whaley Bridge - the Shepherd's Arms, and I didn't miss it!  But wasn't impressed.  Which one did you mean? I'll be in Whaley Bridge tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, Tonka said:

oops didn't see  the Shepherd's arms in your list. Apparently the beer is cheaper in the British Legion if you walk past the Navigation at Bugsworth. And yes you can get in there as a non member. No food though

Cheaper and very friendly. Each time I've been to the basin there's always been something on at the club. Fundraisers and such like, with bands playing. Theres a sense of community which is always good to see. 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

oops didn't see  the Shepherd's arms in your list. Apparently the beer is cheaper in the British Legion if you walk past the Navigation at Bugsworth. And yes you can get in there as a non member. No food though

Where exactly is Legion club?  Can't find any reference to it.  Not bothered about food, as I said in the intro.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Well you missed the Wharf at Gurnet. Recently refurbished and the pub at Sutton ?. Also missed the GBG pub in Whaley Bridge but you were probably put off by the for sale sign outside

many of the best pubs are not in the GBG and that's been the case for years. I have had 3 of the pubs I have run in the GBG but its rather down to how your face fits with the local CAMRA bods than how good your beer is. A good friend of mine with a pub a couple of miles from me who did excellent beer never got in GBG due to that fact. Just sayin like. Anyway keep em coming mac your guide is probably more realistic and at least you don't count food in your guide which is absolutely as it should be.

• 1 month later...

Not really a 4th part to the trilogy of my 2017 pub explorations, but a short addendum while I'm making myself at home on the upper Macc/ Peak Forest for the winter. It's unlikely I'll be visiting any new pubs this year, so here are the final few assessments.

TAP HOUSE, Whaley Bridge (Nov 2) 2+2+5=9 Tiny bare micropub, tap for Whaley Bridge Brewery. Good lighting is the only plus. You'd think a brewery tap would keep its beer better.

CROWN, Hawk Green (Nov 3) 3+2+5=10 Large dining roadhouse pretentious enough not to sell crisps or keep good beer.

MINER'S ARMS, Four Lane Ends (Nov 4) 2+3+6=11 Characterless dining pub with comfortable (but rather cold - stove not lit) well-lit lounge with armchairs.

(2014 - 4+2+7=13 Beer poor. Family oriented)

CHURCH HOUSE, Bollington (Nov 5) 2+4+8=14 Slightly church-themed civilised pub with a quiet back room.

WHARF, Macclesfield (Nov 16) 5+4+7=16 Comfortable, relaxing open-plan pub with bar skittles and books. GBG

(2015 - 5+4+9=18 A proper local dedicated to beer. GBG)

KING'S HEAD, Gurnett (Nov 17) 2+2+6=10 Not my sort of place . Would be pleasant enough without the live music, I suppose (and better beer).

SUTTON HALL, Gurnett (Nov 18 & 29) 5+4+8=17 Impressive old house stuffed with interesting pictures. Lord Lucan's family home. Seems posh, but good friendly service.

(2014 - 5+4+9=18 A mansion with a fantastic interior and friendly staff.)

(2015 - 5+3+8=16 Worth a visit for the magnificent interior. Expensive-ish.)

RAILWAY VIEW, Gurnett (Nov 19) 3+4+7=14 Rather spartan out-of-the-way pub, stone flags but warm stove on a cold night.

So after icebreaking my way back to my winter home, I find that the beer at the WINDMILL, Whiteley Green (Sept 23) has improved quite a bit. I must make sure of that.........

Cheers!

Mac

14 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Not really a 4th part to the trilogy of my 2017 pub explorations, but a short addendum while I'm making myself at home on the upper Macc/ Peak Forest for the winter. It's unlikely I'll be visiting any new pubs this year, so here are the final few assessments.

TAP HOUSE, Whaley Bridge (Nov 2) 2+2+5=9 Tiny bare micropub, tap for Whaley Bridge Brewery. Good lighting is the only plus. You'd think a brewery tap would keep its beer better.

CROWN, Hawk Green (Nov 3) 3+2+5=10 Large dining roadhouse pretentious enough not to sell crisps or keep good beer.

MINER'S ARMS, Four Lane Ends (Nov 4) 2+3+6=11 Characterless dining pub with comfortable (but rather cold - stove not lit) well-lit lounge with armchairs.

(2014 - 4+2+7=13 Beer poor. Family oriented)

CHURCH HOUSE, Bollington (Nov 5) 2+4+8=14 Slightly church-themed civilised pub with a quiet back room.

WHARF, Macclesfield (Nov 16) 5+4+7=16 Comfortable, relaxing open-plan pub with bar skittles and books. GBG

(2015 - 5+4+9=18 A proper local dedicated to beer. GBG)

KING'S HEAD, Gurnett (Nov 17) 2+2+6=10 Not my sort of place . Would be pleasant enough without the live music, I suppose (and better beer).

SUTTON HALL, Gurnett (Nov 18 & 29) 5+4+8=17 Impressive old house stuffed with interesting pictures. Lord Lucan's family home. Seems posh, but good friendly service.

(2014 - 5+4+9=18 A mansion with a fantastic interior and friendly staff.)

(2015 - 5+3+8=16 Worth a visit for the magnificent interior. Expensive-ish.)

RAILWAY VIEW, Gurnett (Nov 19) 3+4+7=14 Rather spartan out-of-the-way pub, stone flags but warm stove on a cold night.

So after icebreaking my way back to my winter home, I find that the beer at the WINDMILL, Whiteley Green (Sept 23) has improved quite a bit. I must make sure of that.........

Cheers!

Mac

Did you find the Legion?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am correct in saying that if a licensee changes the pub will automatically lose its listing in the GBG. In effect the new licensee has to earn their spurs. I don't know whether that applies to Wetherspoons though. They definitely have some pubs that ought not to be in the GBG.

58 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think I am correct in saying that if a licensee changes the pub will automatically lose its listing in the GBG. In effect the new licensee has to earn their spurs. I don't know whether that applies to Wetherspoons though. They definitely have some pubs that ought not to be in the GBG.

Thats how it worked when I was in the trade. The gbg is far more a case of  " If your face fits" than good beer, speaking as someone who has been in it in two of my pubs. I never visit Wetherspoons but some will have good beer and some will be dreadful.

I can understand the comment about if your face fits. 

Wetherspoons are a special case because they provide £20 worth of beer vouchers to each camra member. Our local JDW is run by a guy who is totally devoid of imagination. Everything comes from the Greene King estate and he doesn't keep it particularly well. At the other end of the JDW spectrum is the Paramount, not far from Castlefield basin in Manchester. There you will not find Greene King products on the bar but there are lots of deserved Camra awards on the wall to reflect the quality of the micro brewery beers they do sell. 

I am suprised you don't do JDW. Tim Martin does a pro Brexit article in his in-house magazine every month.

12 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I am suprised you don't do JDW. Tim Martin does a pro Brexit article in his in-house magazine every month.

That's it!  :o I'll never darken Wetherspoon's doors again.  But hang on, I've got these vouchers...........   In fact Wetherspoons vary as much as any other pubs.  The best I've been in was in Whittlesea on the Middle Level, and I made a point of telling the manager so - he was well chuffed.  The worst was in Pontefract - 'nuff said.

Regarding changes of licencee and the GBG, the pub may stay in the GBG if the new licencee has recently run a GBG pub.   There are masses of pubs not in the GBG which are better than some which are, but this is mainly (but not entirely) dependent on the number of good pubs in a county compared to the population.  Each county has an allocation based on population, and if there are not enough good real ale pubs to fill the allocation, then some not so good ones creep in.  Conversely, if there are too many, then some better ones are excluded.  Having said that, I have been disappointed a few times this year with GBG pubs, but have charitably put it down to them being temporarily off form.

• Happy 1

46 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I can understand the comment about if your face fits. 

Wetherspoons are a special case because they provide £20 worth of beer vouchers to each camra member. Our local JDW is run by a guy who is totally devoid of imagination. Everything comes from the Greene King estate and he doesn't keep it particularly well. At the other end of the JDW spectrum is the Paramount, not far from Castlefield basin in Manchester. There you will not find Greene King products on the bar but there are lots of deserved Camra awards on the wall to reflect the quality of the micro brewery beers they do sell. 

I dont particularily like Tim Martin or his business model. When he started up he used to spout about how he made sure the public got a full pint every time unlike other pubs. He stocked all his pubs with 24 ounce glasses which are used by anyone who knows anything about the trade for such as elctric metered dispensing pumps that force the beer out and leave a head. Everyone knew he was being stupid and we were right. His staff were constantly  told by his customers to " Top my pint up " which they duly did. Now giving away a free pint of beer every five pints is not good business and he quite early on did a u turn and restocked his entire estate with 20 ounce glasses ( Imperial UK measurements of course ) Obviously he has learnt and must be a good businessman as he understands like many the benefits of Brexit. There is obviously a market for JDW just the same as a market for Macdonalds another company I absolutely never visit. I do however luv KFC :cheers:

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

That's it!  :o I'll never darken Wetherspoon's doors again.  But hang on, I've got these vouchers...........   In fact Wetherspoons vary as much as any other pubs.  The best I've been in was in Whittlesea on the Middle Level, and I made a point of telling the manager so - he was well chuffed.  The worst was in Pontefract - 'nuff said.

Regarding changes of licencee and the GBG, the pub may stay in the GBG if the new licencee has recently run a GBG pub.   There are masses of pubs not in the GBG which are better than some which are, but this is mainly (but not entirely) dependent on the number of good pubs in a county compared to the population.  Each county has an allocation based on population, and if there are not enough good real ale pubs to fill the allocation, then some not so good ones creep in.  Conversely, if there are too many, then some better ones are excluded.  Having said that, I have been disappointed a few times this year with GBG pubs, but have charitably put it down to them being temporarily off form.

I'd agree that the JDW at Whittlesea is a good one. The concrete bunker in Northampton is at the other end of the spectrum. I mentioned the changing licensee scenario because the licensee at Fradley has changed several times recently.