Fame Free Diesel on the T&M

dmr

Featured Posts

Currently in Wolverhampton but heading North tomoro, most likely up to the Weaver. Need to buy a load of fuel and would much prefer Fame Free. One option is to go up the Shroppie and stop at Norbury wharf but I quite fancy going up the Trent & Mersey (The Swan at Stone and the Holy Inadequate in Stoke are the temptations). Is there anywhere on the Staffs & W or T&M that does Fame Free at a reasonable price???

yes, I could try phoning all the suppliers but have done that before and most don't even know what Fame Free is :D

...............Dave

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Out of interest why do you particularly want fame-free? Hygroscopic issues? But if you are cruising around and using the fuel in a reasonably short time period, does it matter?

Despite the turnover any fuel in the tank only gets progressively diluted by new fuel so some will sit in the tank for a long time.

Had an incident the winter before last when fuel solidified in the injectors and injection pump, turned into a sort of red marmalade. This was expensive to sort out and although still not fully understood my best guess is that some bio diesel can have an irreversible waxing at low temperatures. So I now try to use FameFree whenever I can. Fame free is still available if diesel sellers know how to ask for it and appears not to have a price premium, Norbury wharf and the boatyard (K&A) both sell FameFree and are both cheap, so, nothing to loose by searching out better diesel..

............Dave

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

only 0.1 p more than Turners this week

I thought it always was, urban myth is that they phone each other every morning to discuss pricing and Turners goes just a fraction lower.

..................Dave

There are various anti-wax additives which all claim to prevent wax formation up the maximum allowable FAME content.  I already use one snake oil against diesel bug - should I be using another?

Edited to answer Athy's question.  FAME = Fatty Acid Methyl Esters, ie biofuel.  Reputed to not suit certain older engines.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

Despite the turnover any fuel in the tank only gets progressively diluted by new fuel so some will sit in the tank for a long time.

Had an incident the winter before last when fuel solidified in the injectors and injection pump, turned into a sort of red marmalade. This was expensive to sort out and although still not fully understood my best guess is that some bio diesel can have an irreversible waxing at low temperatures. So I now try to use FameFree whenever I can. Fame free is still available if diesel sellers know how to ask for it and appears not to have a price premium, Norbury wharf and the boatyard (K&A) both sell FameFree and are both cheap, so, nothing to loose by searching out better diesel..

............Dave

Fair enough. I've never worried about it and never had a problem. FLW! Where is your fuel tank? Ours is at the bottom of the boat under the engine which helps to keep the fuel at a fairly even temperature so not really prone to condensation.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Fair enough. I've never worried about it and never had a problem. FLW! Where is your fuel tank? Ours is at the bottom of the boat under the engine which helps to keep the fuel at a fairly even temperature so not really prone to condensation.

Ours is integral with the floor under the back cabin so also protected from big temperature variation. I suspect the fuel solidification hit the standing fuel in the pump and injectors when we left the boat for a week in winter to have a little holiday in Cornwall

..............Dave.

I'm pretty sure you can get fuel at Calf Heath, but 30 mins later at Gailey. They service the hire boats and timeshares and if buying bulk into the boat, they're competitive. Best price is Turners up the shroppie, and you self declare, nil propulsion if you want. As the man says, they report but don't police.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey you'll be asking if anyone has any opinions about cassette Vs pumpout bogs next, and then probably asking who CRT are!!

Not at all. Pump-out loos are something I dismiss as irrelevant. CRT are like CART but shorter. But Fame referring to diesel without additives is scarcely common parlance. Thank you for the information; but how would I know whether the fuel which I buy is Famous or Infamous, and it better or worse (or neither) for engines?

For what its worth I am of the opinion that most problems of most kinds happen to boats that are " wintersised " I dont have a clue what diesel I buy and have never used any type of additive and never had any fuel problems. Leaving ya boat stood in the coldest part of the years knackers lots of things including fuel and water pumps to name but two. My fuel is used from both tanks nearly every day of the year. Ive said it before but best thing is to wintersise the house and live on the boat but this doesnt seem to  get through to many people.

On 28/09/2017 at 07:08, Athy said:

Not at all. Pump-out loos are something I dismiss as irrelevant. CRT are like CART but shorter. But Fame referring to diesel without additives is scarcely common parlance. Thank you for the information; but how would I know whether the fuel which I buy is Famous or Infamous, and it better or worse (or neither) for engines?

I'm not especially well informed but my impression from the many threads on here on the subject, diesel contains a proportion of bio-diesel up to 5%. Bio diesel is suspected to be a Bad Thing in tanks of diesel that stand around unused for long periods as it diesel bug grows far more easily in bio diesel. 

Consequently, informed boaters prefer to put diesel free from bio diesel in their tanks, known as FAME-free diesel. I dunno why it is called that but mr google could probably clear that one up for you :)

You can find out if the fuel you are buying is FAME-free by asking your retailer. If you get blank looks, it probably isn't. 

(Mobile fone finger edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

So after your scathing remarks, Mr. Boiler, you don't know what it means either!:P

I generally add a slug of Fuel Set to my boat's tank when taking on diesel. From your first paragraph, it sounds as if that's a prudent precaution in case the fuel is harbouring these bugs.

On 28/09/2017 at 08:29, Athy said:

So after your scathing remarks, Mr. Boiler, you don't know what it means either!:P

Yes I do! It means fuel free from bio-diesel. Did you not understand my rambling post? :P

I'll admit I don't remember what the acronym "FAME" stands for though. Do you really need me to google it and find out for you? 

On 28/09/2017 at 08:29, Athy said:

I generally add a slug of Fuel Set to my boat's tank when taking on diesel. From your first paragraph, it sounds as if that's a prudent precaution in case the fuel is harbouring these bugs.

Yes I agree. It can't do any harm and it fills the coffers of the snake oil salesmen!!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'll admit I don't remember what the acronym "FAME" stands for though.

Gee, these folk who don’t read the whole thread...

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

FAME = Fatty Acid Methyl Esters, ie biofuel.

2 hours ago, junior said:

I'll be coming down the T&M with Halsall from the Weaver week begging 8th October.

We are planning to spend the whole winter within your region. Have you asked your supplier about getting FAME Free diesel? If you can get it then we will take 100 litre every month.

..............Dave