Mr. Angry of Barton Turns

noddyboater

Featured Posts

I'm not qualified in this department but I didn't get the impression he had mental issues, just a very aggressive, rude individual. In fact I'd go so far to say he'd be intelligent enough to have stayed in his house scowling through the window if a crew of burly young men would have pulled up, rather than a frail woman. 

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I'm not qualified in this department but I didn't get the impression he had mental issues, just a very aggressive, rude individual. In fact I'd go so far to say he'd be intelligent enough to have stayed in his house scowling through the window if a crew of burly young men would have pulled up, rather than a frail woman. 

And there you have it in a nutshell. He is a maggot lowlife bully who will not dare rant at someone he thinks can give as good as he can.

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Having a mental health problem is never an excuse for one's behaviour.

It may be an explanation, but never an excuse.

Everybody is responsible for their actions and therefore accountable.

The outcome of Care in the Community is that we are all more likely to witness evidence of poor mental health easily and more often.  Many members of the public may feel uncomfortable about it, yet as it touches the lives of 1 in 4 of everybody, I can't imagine how to advise they should cope with that.  Sadly the alternative would be to revert back to the pre Victorian times where many families had a mad Aunt that was locked up in the attic, or in The Victorian times where we rounded them all up and herded them into bleak institutions along with criminals, alcoholics, addicts, the poor and of course let's not forget the "morally lacking" otherwise known as unmarried mothers.

For years before the current austerity Mental Health Services were the Cinderellas of NHS funding. Now it's a disaster.

I don't get anything like the support I got 18 years ago. I only stay safe because I understand the system and the language to use that services quickly comprehend and are likely to respond to.

When I am faced with someone angry or intent on causing trouble, the method I use I learnt when studying essential management techniques in industry. I talk with a low and slightly slower tone. My first question is "Excuse me I didn't catch all of that, could you say that again?" that usually takes the emotion out of their outburst. I then tell them I can see why they may be upset and what would they like me to do about that. If they don't suggest something acceptable to me I thank them but confirm I shan't be following their advice. While I walk away if threats follow I continue exiting but phone the Police.  I certainly wouldn't write things down and deliberately misunderstand everything as I value my teeth too much.

What I said in my post is a bit misleading. I only ever happened once - but it worked - he ended up laughing - almost in exasperation trying to get through to me! But in defence of writing things down, it is a ploy to slow things down to take the pace out of the situation.

Judging by what you say, it seems you have some experience in these situations, where someone might become hostile, so I will take heed....

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Having a mental health problem is never an excuse for one's behaviour.

It may be an explanation, but never an excuse.

Everybody is responsible for their actions and therefore accountable.

The outcome of Care in the Community is that we are all more likely to witness evidence of poor mental health easily and more often.  Many members of the public may feel uncomfortable about it, yet as it touches the lives of 1 in 4 of everybody, I can't imagine how to advise they should cope with that.  Sadly the alternative would be to revert back to the pre Victorian times where many families had a mad Aunt that was locked up in the attic, or in The Victorian times where we rounded them all up and herded them into bleak institutions along with criminals, alcoholics, addicts, the poor and of course let's not forget the "morally lacking" otherwise known as unmarried mothers.

For years before the current austerity Mental Health Services were the Cinderellas of NHS funding. Now it's a disaster.

I don't get anything like the support I got 18 years ago. I only stay safe because I understand the system and the language to use that services quickly comprehend and are likely to respond to.

When I am faced with someone angry or intent on causing trouble, the method I use I learnt when studying essential management techniques in industry. I talk with a low and slightly slower tone. My first question is "Excuse me I didn't catch all of that, could you say that again?" that usually takes the emotion out of their outburst. I then tell them I can see why they may be upset and what would they like me to do about that. If they don't suggest something acceptable to me I thank them but confirm I shan't be following their advice. While I walk away if threats follow I continue exiting but phone the Police.  I certainly wouldn't write things down and deliberately misunderstand everything as I value my teeth too much.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Just think what a difference about five miles' worth of HS2 money could make to that funding.

...and, for once, I am not joking at all. Mrs. Athy has professional contact with mental health services (she's an advocate) and I hear stories of under-, or non-funding from her.

The bit that I can't quite understand about the dismal lack of funding to the Mental Health services is that, in theory it should be the wealthiest of all the NHS services. When they came up with the massively underfunded (don't) Care in the Community programme and closed down all of the old mental hospitals, they were all turned into top of the range, elite accomodation (often gated). From the area in which I have personal interest, Digby and Exminster Hospitals in the Exeter area and Moorhaven in the Wrangaton were all sold to developers who have made millions just from these three hospitals. Passing through Wakefield recently I see that the old West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum looks very swish in the same fashion as the three mentioned in Devon. The old Colney Hatch asylum in Friern Barnet, London (not far from where is spent my childhood) went the same way and is now very expensive luxury apartments. I find it so nice that people have made fortunes out of these buildings it's just a pity none of it went to the service of the people they were built for:angry2:

1 hour ago, thebfg said:

if your busy doing something else you can just watch the good bits as and when.

I agree. 

As soon as something noteworthy happens the telly draws one's attention to it then repeats it repeatedly for the next half an hour. 

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The bit that I can't quite understand about the dismal lack of funding to the Mental Health services is that, in theory it should be the wealthiest of all the NHS services. When they came up with the massively underfunded (don't) Care in the Community programme and closed down all of the old mental hospitals, they were all turned into top of the range, elite accomodation (often gated). From the area in which I have personal interest, Digby and Exminster Hospitals in the Exeter area and Moorhaven in the Wrangaton were all sold to developers who have made millions just from these three hospitals. Passing through Wakefield recently I see that the old West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum looks very swish in the same fashion as the three mentioned in Devon. The old Colney Hatch asylum in Friern Barnet, London (not far from where is spent my childhood) went the same way and is now very expensive luxury apartments. I find it so nice that people have made fortunes out of these buildings it's just a pity none of it went to the service of the people they were built for:angry2:

Close to where I used to live in Epsom, Surrey where five mental hospitals. Horton, Long Grove, Manor,  West Park and St Ebba's, They even hadvtheirbownnlightbrsilway, initially to bring in building materials, and later coal for the central boiler house.

They closed in the early 90's and are now luxorynhousingredients developments.

This link provides a potted history of the hospitals and treatment for the mentally ill. 

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/HospitalCluster.html

Thanks for the mention of the light railway, which I have just been looking up on the internet. Not only did it transport coal for the boilers, but the parts of the actual boilers too. It closed down in 1950, and the track was exported to Nigeria for further use!