Houdini Hatch - making flat the roof.

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my current hatches with some Houdini's, however the hatches require installing on a flat surface which means I'll have to build up the roof somehow by around 5mm each side.  I don't want it to be on a plinth type thing that I've seen on some boats so what is the best method? 

Cheers,

Richard.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Ive never seen a houdini hatch fitted to a curved steel roof unless the curve was taken out with a small steel "plinth" to take out the curve.

Would only need the rise enough for the screws to go threw , not much curve on a NB very little aswell.

As Tony says best to weld a frame on to sit the hatch on. Or timber for a cheaper easier job. 

Cant think of a better way.

To add, GRP would be good but the end asthetics you may not like, my idea is to make the frame and not bond it to the shell with the layup resin but have it as a separate frame and bond it with Sikalfex or the likes. 

Edited by W+T

Unlike timber dog boxes with double glazing, Houdini hatches are great for causing condensation problems, it's not the double glazing but the alloy frames that seem to cause the grief. I've wasted hours trying to persuade new boaters who are determined "lie in bed and look at the stars" that its not a good idea. It's possible but rather costly to fit a glazed secondary frame beneath the Houdini to reduce the problem but I would avoid going there in the first place. Perhaps someone with a hatch will add their opinion.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Jordan said:

Unlike timber dog boxes with double glazing, Houdini hatches are great for causing condensation problems, it's not the double glazing but the alloy frames that seem to cause the grief. I've wasted hours trying to persuade new boaters who are determined "lie in bed and look at the stars" that its not a good idea. It's possible but rather costly to fit a glazed secondary frame beneath the Houdini to reduce the problem but I would avoid going there in the first place. Perhaps someone with a hatch will add their opinion.

Thanks Mike,you saved me the trouble of Typing,Houdini Hatches are more Trouble than they are worth.

The Thames Hire Cruisers always have a Clip on cover (outside)to prevent them from leaking!

Edited by cereal tiller

We fitted a new Houdini to our curved roof whilst the boat was being repainted around three years ago. The sides of the frame had to be 'pulled down' about 5mm each side.

The seal on the hinged lid is thick enough to compress and maintain a good seal. It's opened regularly, but has never leaked whilst shut.

On the inside we have a simple removable glazed panel set in a timber frame - no condensation.

11 hours ago, Rustonick said:

We fitted a new Houdini to our curved roof whilst the boat was being repainted around three years ago. The sides of the frame had to be 'pulled down' about 5mm each side.

The seal on the hinged lid is thick enough to compress and maintain a good seal. It's opened regularly, but has never leaked whilst shut.

On the inside we have a simple removable glazed panel set in a timber frame - no condensation.

This is interesting to know if they can cope with a slight curve as mine will need to be pulled down roughly the same.   Was the hatch a actual Houdini make or a copy?

10 hours ago, DHutch said:

When I did our I made a tray and welded it into the hole to give a flat, which I how I believe the others on the boat where done

I always thing it looks like an afterthought design when on a plinth like that, something I'm trying to avoid!

Edited by Robbo

14 hours ago, Mike Jordan said:

I already have hatches, but the are custom ones that the builder did out of steel so I'm looking at options to either change them to something more appealing or improve them.   They do get condensation on at the moment which can be easily rectified including from the suggestions above.

I would always recommend to boaters to actual have hatches (although not in the bedroom area) as they let in so much light compared to side windows the benefit outweighs any condensation issue that can usually be rectified. 

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

This is interesting to know if they can cope with a slight curve as mine will need to be pulled down roughly the same.   Was the hatch a actual Houdini make or a copy?

I always thing it looks like an afterthought design when on a plinth like that, something I'm trying to avoid!

Hi Robbie. The Houdini hatch was a genuine item bought direct from Houdini. I've just measured again and the sides have definitely been pulled 5mm lower. The yard that fitted for me during repaint said it wouldn't work, but agreed to try. It worked a treat.

IMG_20170928_163936652_HDR.jpg

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

What you need is a double glazed dogbox :)

Mine is not double glassed but no condensation as its part of the fixed ventilation system and using plastic waterproof hinges no rain comes in forth ones down on this pdf http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/products/hinges/continuous-hinges

17 minutes ago, Rustonick said:

Hi Robbie. The Houdini hatch was a genuine item bought direct from Houdini. I've just measured again and the sides have definitely been pulled 5mm lower. The yard that fitted for me during repaint said it wouldn't work, but agreed to try. It worked a treat.

IMG_20170928_163936652_HDR.jpg

Thank you for the confirmation, it does look a lot better been installed directly on the roof like that!   

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine is not double glassed but no condensation as its part of the fixed ventilation system and using plastic waterproof hinges no rain comes in forth ones down on this pdf http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/products/hinges/continuous-hinges

Yes, I’ve seen those before. It’ll be interesting to see how long those hinges last with constant UV on the roof.