Coal price

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, haza said:

hey bizz whats that got to do with the price of coal lol ,,any way  that chat room is stupid ..mind anything i dont understand is stupid lol 

Ahoy haza. It has, it was chilly at dawn when I got up to go on the rescue raid, so I lit the stove, cost me a shovelful of coal, it did.:unsure: You weren't in there though, but the forum note says you are still. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I've boat 25kg bags of Excel from my local coal boat for £9.70 per bag.  Added bonuses are: 1.  It gets delivered right to my mooring and neatly stacked for me.  2.  I don't even have to be there when it arrives.  3.  I'm helping to keep a historic boat running.

No brainer really.

I've had no bother lighting it either.  Seems the same as last year but with slightly less ash I think.  Result.

^^ this, I am a fan of coal boats, having never had one on my last mooring, pure luxury

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ahoy haza. It has, it was chilly at dawn when I got up to go on the rescue raid, so I lit the stove, cost me a shovelful of coal, it did.:unsure:You weren't in there though, but the forum note says you are still. :unsure:

Why would haza be in your stove? was she cleaning the glass from the inside

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

^^ this, I am a fan of coal boats, having never had one on my last mooring, pure luxury

Mountbatten and Jellico are now back servicing the Welshies on a regular basis.

Is Mark on Callisto back delivering again??

I tried a bag of Winterblaze (£8.50) 3 years ago and have used it ever since as Taybrite and Excel at the time were producing vast amounts of ash and clinker.

10 bags being delivered tomorrow courtesy of Ryan on Southern Cross part of Jules Fuels who do a splendid job keeping the top end of the GU well supplied.

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Mountbatten and Jellico are now back servicing the Welshies on a regular basis.

Is Mark on Callisto back delivering again??

I tried a bag of Winterblaze (£8.50) 3 years ago and have used it ever since as Taybrite and Excel at the time were producing vast amounts of ash and clinker.

10 bags being delivered tomorrow courtesy of Ryan on Southern Cross part of Jules Fuels who do a splendid job keeping the top end of the GU well supplied.

Good news about Jellico, I know my ex neighbours are happy to have a fuel boat service.

Mark isn't routinely coming down the locks, although he deliver a load at summer prices whilst on his annual river trip

On 27/09/2017 at 11:28, Psycloud said:

Whatever you're paying there's a good chance it will go up next week as our marina supplier has told us that prices will rise on the likes of Taybrite/Pureglow/Supertherm etc on 1st October.  

Coal prices rise as demand rockets at the beginning of winter. 

Who'd have thought that would ever happen!!

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Coal prices rise as demand rockets at the beginning of winter. 

Who'd have thought that would ever happen!!

Well yes, but our supplier didn't put them up last year so we've had a static price for 2 years now.  I've also seen other suppliers stating they will go up on 1/10 as well.  We get through about 40x25Kg bags over a winter so buy the whole lot in one go saving a fair bit, and price rises can make a noticeable difference when paid out in one go :)

On 26/09/2017 at 22:36, Dr Bob said:

Now there's a question! We've used 2 bags so far this autumn bought from the marina but forgot to look at the brand or whether it was 20 or 25Kg. Looks like we will need 2 bags per week. Need to do some homework. Great info as usual.

The one they sell most of at our marina is Supertherm. As your marina has more liveaboards (ours has none apart from the staff) it may possibly be different, I believe some/many of the liveaboards buy more anthracite (?).

It's not cheap though. Last time I bought some early this year it was £12.70 for 25kg at the marina. I bought two bags from Ryan on Southern Cross in late Spring and it was £10.70, up from £10.50 last year. 

I've only tried a couple of alternatives (can't remember what they were unfortunately, but NOT Excel as I know I haven't tried that yet) but they were nowhere near as good, In particular I found them difficult to keep going overnight whereas Supertherm is easy.

Sheridan recommended Supertherm to me when we first arrived and my limited experience suggests it was a good recommendation. I just wish the marina sold it a bit cheaper as I only have room for a couple of bags and don't like letting it get too low in case I don't come across a fuel boat (which I would like to support) while out and about. I usually see one just after stocking up at the marina before a trip starts but not if I don't stock up!

• Greenie 1

For my two solid fuel stoves at home, [Please dont tell London Mayor] I burn wood logs. What else would they be made off. I pay £285 for 1.25 ton delivered to my door. This keeps both stoves going all winter,  not 24/7, most evenings only. The smaller logs get transported to Hawthorn to keep her warm through the winter. With some smokeless to keep it in overnight. At a rough estimate it costs me around £350 per year to run three stoves. To my mind its money well spent. We are toasty at home and on the boat. :D

On 9/26/2017 at 20:42, Dr Bob said:

What price is everyone paying for coal this autumn? Any good deals around the Warwick Rugby area?

Point of order M'lud.

Very few boaters burn 'coal'. The term is used generally to mean unrefined house coal, which makes a lot of smoke, can draw complaints from neighbours. and is generally regarded as a bit anti-social. 

Most burn what is clumsily known as 'smokeless fuel', i.e. coal processed and formed into egg-shapes with the smoke taken out. (I dunno what they do with the smoke, sell it to vintage diesel owners I would imagine.) These 'smokeless fuels' are sold under brand names such as Coalite, Excel, Supertherm etc. If you use the term 'coal', a lot of people will assume you are wanting raw house coal specifically. 

3 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

The one they sell most of at our marina is Supertherm. As your marina has more liveaboards (ours has none apart from the staff) it may possibly be different, I believe some/many of the liveaboards buy more anthracite (?).

It's not cheap though. Last time I bought some early this year it was £12.70 for 25kg at the marina. I bought two bags from Ryan on Southern Cross in late Spring and it was £10.70, up from £10.50 last year. 

Yes, I checked and not surprisingly we get the same at the same price. Must look out for a fuel boat.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of order M'lud.

Very few boaters burn 'coal'. The term is used generally to mean unrefined house coal, which makes a lot of smoke, can draw complaints from neighbours. and is generally regarded as a bit anti-social. 

Most burn what is clumsily known as 'smokeless fuel', i.e. coal processed and formed into egg-shapes with the smoke taken out. (I dunno what they do with the smoke, sell it to vintage diesel owners I would imagine.) These 'smokeless fuels' are sold under brand names such as Coalite, Excel, Supertherm etc. If you use the term 'coal', a lot of people will assume you are wanting raw house coal specifically. 

....smack of the wrist!! ....not looking for coal at all!!

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of order M'lud.

My understanding is that the smoke removed from coal to produce smokeless coal is sold off as a by product and then used by manufacturers of E cigarettes as an extra way of generating profit .

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chubby said:

My understanding is that the smoke removed from coal to produce smokeless coal is sold off as a by product and then used by manufacturers of E cigarettes as an extra way of generating profit .

Nope, Volkswagen buy it.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, chubby said:

I wondered what they used it for now.

Lucas used to buy it to manufacture this spare part.

images.jpg

It's worth bearing in mind that Superheat contains a fair proportion of Petcoke. This product is produced from environmentally disastrous tar sands extraction and it also burns hotter than a straight 'coal derived' equivalent. Because of the latter people have in the past reported damage to stoves when Petcoke products have been used over several seasons.

On 9/27/2017 at 00:19, WotEver said:

I had an aunt who used to wash her coal before bringing it into the house in a scuttle. 

Back in the distant past during my (must do military service RAF) for an AOC's inspection we were required to paint the coal in the top of the container in the billet white & the grass on the edge of the dispersal  were the exhaust from the DH Vampire's had burnt it got painted green. Mind Boggling .

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Back in the distant past during my (must do military service RAF) for an AOC's inspection we were required to paint the coal in the top of the container in the billet white & the grass on the edge of the dispersal  were the exhaust from the DH Vampire's had burnt it got painted green. Mind Boggling .

There is a company in California (where else?) who spray lawns green after they’ve been scorched by the sun and suffered drought. They use a vegetable dye, apparently. It’s also been done for films that have overrun and drifted into autumn to keep the trees looking summery!

2 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

It's worth bearing in mind that Superheat contains a fair proportion of Petcoke. This product is produced from environmentally disastrous tar sands extraction and it also burns hotter than a straight 'coal derived' equivalent. Because of the latter people have in the past reported damage to stoves when Petcoke products have been used over several seasons.

As far as I can see, no-one has previously mentioned Superheat in this thread. Presumably that's this... http://www.nationalcoal.co.uk/buy-coal-from-national-coal/coal/firefly-superheat. which is said to be "not recommended for closed appliances."

Not to be confused with Supertherm, which I mentioned.  https://www.cheap-coal.co.uk/supertherm.html (for product information, not a recommendation for the supplier!)

On 9/30/2017 at 09:15, blackrose said:

£10.50/25kg bag or either Excel or Stoveglow from Billing Garden Village. The quality of both seem fine to me.

For a while at least, Stoveglow that used to be a smokeless fuel changed to no longer being one.  (KG Smith confirmed this to be the case).

Doing a bit of Googling it seems possible it has now changed back again.

Worth checking what the bags you are being sols say, though, if you actually want smokeless.

(The complaints went further than how much smoke it made, with claims that some had had their stove flues gummed up as a result of using it).