Adding A Partner to the Ownership of a Narrowboat

BlueBird

Featured Posts

Hello,

My partner and I bought a narrowboat last year however, my partner's name was not added to the bill of sale (despite repeatedly asking!).

I would like to ensure my partner is legally entitled to 50% ownership of the boat. How would I go about doing this? 

Many thanks for your help! 

Edited by BlueBird

Boats are 'owned' in 64ths of the whole

The best (legal) way would be to sell him 32/64ths and use the proper MCA 'Bill Of Sale' document\ (even tho' you will not be notifying them of the sale), this ensures you get all of the correct legalese sorted out.

Print out the attached, fill it in, both keep a copy and the 'jobs a good un'.

Edit to add :

The normal terminology for the 'sum paid' is "£1 and other considerations"

This is so that any future buyers (who get a copy of the BoS) will not see what was paid for it. I am sure that between you, you can sort out what 'other considerations' are acceptable.

Boat Bill Of Sale (Official).pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, BlueBird said:

Hello,

My partner and I bought a narrowboat last year however, my partner's name was not added to the bill of sale (despite repeatedly asking!).

I would like to ensure my partner is legally entitled to 50% ownership of the boat. How would I go about doing this? 

Many thanks for your help! 

I'm curious about what circumstances you imagine where your partner would need to prove his(?) 'entitlement'. Or put another way, who might be in a postion to deny he is a joint owner of the boat.

And do you really mean you own half each? Or do you mean the pair of you jointly own it? Two different things in the eyes of the law. In property parlance a couple owning a house own it as 'tenants in common' (a precise % each) or 'joint tenants' (together owning the whole thing). 

Hypothetical question: What would happen if you chucked that receipt in the fire? Who would be able to prove ownership was anything other than what you say it is?  

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hypothetical question: What would happen if you chucked that receipt in the fire? Who would be able to prove ownership was anything other than what you say it is? 

The OP states BoS rather than receipt - in which case a signed copy will (probably) be held by the Vendor &/or the broker.

The alternative is to register on the SSR (Small Ships Register) and list all owners.

That then gives you an 'official' registration (but not a legal proof of ownership)

Cost (from memory) £25 for a Part III registration.

Personally I would just do it informally - write your partner a letter conforming the gift of 50%.

However, if you are not happy with this then you really ought to consult a solicitor - no use depending on amateurs or even those with some knowledge but no liability ('cos not being paid to advise!) You might well find one that gives you 30 mins free first consultation which would be long enough to determine whether you really need to do anything formal.

22 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Personally I would just do it informally - write your partner a letter conforming the gift of 50%.

However, if you are not happy with this then you really ought to consult a solicitor - no use depending on amateurs or even those with some knowledge but no liability ('cos not being paid to advise!) You might well find one that gives you 30 mins free first consultation which would be long enough to determine whether you really need to do anything formal.

Same here. I understand if the owner of the boat dies, often the husband then CRT cancel the licence and the wife then has to re licence it as hers. As CRT don't give 100% refunds you lose money. The other thing is if you expect your partner to do a runner with it and gain from it. 
Who owns the car, fridge and washing machine, dont forget the TV and the dog

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same here. I understand if the owner of the boat dies, often the husband then CRT cancel the licence and the wife then has to re licence it as hers.

If you are married then you can argue that it is jointly owned anyway. But the OP used the term 'partner' so I assume not married and therefore more in need of documented joint ownership.

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you cant prove that ether of you own the boat anyway. You may have a bill of sale when you bought it, but you might have then sold it on or lost it in a card game.

.......or sunk it using and angle grinder ....... but seriously, my friends had a time-share in a narrowboat, sadly he died, leaving his wife with the whole share, who sold it later - but the question arose at the time as to 'who' actually owned the 'whole' boat for the purpose of selling the share.....it dragged on for ages - committee meetings etc, where it all worked out well in the end.

But the question of  'ownership', to my mind was not really resolved, it had to done on trust and belief - the provenance I guess.

When you think of it - what proof do you have that you own anything.

On 9/26/2017 at 23:14, David Mack said:

If you are married then you can argue that it is jointly owned anyway. But the OP used the term 'partner' so I assume not married and therefore more in need of documented joint ownership.

Simple solution, then - get married! It makes inheritance so much easier, because you just write 'mirror' wills and the surviving spouse gets the lot (and no inheritance tax liability) . 

16 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

When me and my first wife got divorced we went 50/50 on the house, she got the inside, i got the outside.

I haven't got divorced from my first wife. Most people don't!

5 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

When me and my first wife got divorced we went 50/50 on the house, she got the inside, i got the outside.

Or, as that American comedian once said:

"I'm never getting married again. Instead, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her my house."

But who was it??

Quelle cinique!!

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or, as that American comedian once said:

"I'm never getting married again. Instead, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her my house."

But who was it??

Groucho Marx?