Non slip tape for the gunnels

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Bloomsberry said:

It looks nice but I'd be happier if the sanded surface went right to the gunnel edge.

Personnaly I prefer to have the whole gunnel surface sanded to provide the best grip possible.

+1 for this.

Even a very respected and experienced marine engineering company got this totally wrong on our boat last year. They sanded just the middle strip. I had to explain to them that as soon as one stands on the gunwale facing the boat, it's the very outer edge that needs to be non slip. That is unless you stand like an extreme version of Charlie Chaplain with each foot rotated 90 degrees!

Dont ask how I know this with absolute certainty;)

Our mark 2 version extends the non slip surface out around the radiused edge slightly, but I have not bothered to have the smooth inboard inch sanded.

• Greenie 1

Beware that if you do stick non slip surfaces to gunwales, cants or even decks, it is not always obvious when water is getting underneath it.

Our last boat had what appeared to be perfectly good non slip surfaces attached, but once removed we found very heavy pitting of the steelwork underneath - by far the worst on the boat, including any part of the underwater hull.

Hmm

I would be careful about doing this .Our boat had painted and sanded gunwales and the previous owner stuck something similar over it. This means that some of it stuck and some didn't so now we are left with a bit of a mess and we are trying gradually to remove the tape without damaging the sanded surface underneath. Plus we have found like alan-fincher that we have some rust underneath the tape. 

Tizzie