Sim card Data deals

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

We currently are using a 20gig sim from BT (EE) network and performance is great around the Warwick ring area. I need another 40 or 50 gig so we can stream stuff. Anyone seen any good deals out there recently? "3" are offering large data deals but only 30 gig can be tethered but probably the cheapest I am seeing at £25. I would get more BT sims but they have reduced the data since I got mine.

Anyone using "3"? What is the reception like in the Napton, Braunston, Rugby, Warwick area and are the speeds good enough?

12 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Talk to EE. By calling them I got 60Gb/month for £22 on their mobile-broadband product, SIM-only. Only downside is a 24 month contract. We move a lot, and EE 4G has never failed to perform.

My EE 24 month deal ends in January. £27 per month for 50Gb. I'd happily sign up for 2 years to 69Gb for £22 a month.

34 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Talk to EE. By calling them I got 60Gb/month for £22 on their mobile-broadband product, SIM-only. Only downside is a 24 month contract. We move a lot, and EE 4G has never failed to perform.

MP.

That does sound like a good deal. Can you use the whole 60Gb tethered ie as a mobile hot spot. I need to put it in my 4g router so all the phones/tablets/macs on the boat can get the internet. I will call them tomorrow.

Richard, thanks also for your input.

64 gb  per month two year contract from ee for £21.75. I suggest go to a shop and talk to them, they can work things out, but make sure you can not be charged more, I'e ask them to cap it , so rogue web sites that they are affiliated with can not charge you for visiting their site.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

That does sound like a good deal. Can you use the whole 60Gb tethered ie as a mobile hot spot. I need to put it in my 4g router so all the phones/tablets/macs on the boat can get the internet. I will call them tomorrow.

Richard, thanks also for your input.

Yes, it's meant for router use: there's no included minutes or texts, just 60Gb of data. I use it in a Mifi device. We use GiffGaff for the phones.

MP.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

64 gb  per month two year contract from ee for £21.75. I suggest go to a shop and talk to them, they can work things out, but make sure you can not be charged more, I'e ask them to cap it , so rogue web sites that they are affiliated with can not charge you for visiting their site.

Every data SIM card from EE I've ever had was capped. Once you use your allowance, it stops working, and you can buy more data to tide you over until next month, and the rates are OK (£10 or 5GB or £15 for 10GB, I think.) It never goes on the bill without you explicitly asking for more.

MP.

47 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Yes, it's meant for router use: there's no included minutes or texts, just 60Gb of data. I use it in a Mifi device. We use GiffGaff for the phones.

MP.

Every data SIM card from EE I've ever had was capped. Once you use your allowance, it stops working, and you can buy more data to tide you over until next month, and the rates are OK (£10 or 5GB or £15 for 10GB, I think.) It never goes on the bill without you explicitly asking for more.

MP.

Thanks MP

14 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

MP.

Yes, your right it doesn't go over your data allowance, I meant payments capped, If you don't request it to be capped you can be charged extra, they say for donations you may make etc, but just for visiting a web site you can be charged unless you tell them not to. I was charged £4 extra twice for looking up football scores I had been directed to.it was a Nigerian firm, and it was a verified site by EE .I never got my money back, but could of been worse I suppose, and now they say payment is capped so can't happen again.

Be carefull 

• 3 weeks later...

That's a worrying new development - didn't know that sites could charge you! Sounds like the old dial up days when suddenly a "dialer" would hang up your connection and start dialing another number.

Must look into that EE deal though - I'm getting 30gb for £20 on three which is great but not if you want to use iplayer etc.

10 minutes ago, Johny London said:

That's a worrying new development - didn't know that sites could charge you! Sounds like the old dial up days when suddenly a "dialer" would hang up your connection and start dialing another number.

Must look into that EE deal though - I'm getting 30gb for £20 on three which is great but not if you want to use iplayer etc.

I've just taken a £16 for 40gb plus eat all you can Netflix and some other channels on 3.

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I've just taken a £16 for 40gb plus eat all you can Netflix and some other channels on 3.

Oh - I'm massively loosing out then! I'll have to get in touch with them or ee. They always just let you languish on the old deal, what a pain. It was good when I took it a year and a half ago.

Free Huawei mifi too.

If you really want to push the boat out, you can get a wifi router with 100gb PLUS the tv channels for £30 a month. It has sockets for external 3g and 4g ariel input as well.  It's a 240v unit,  but operates through a transformer plug to run on 12v. Get rid of the plug and wire into a stabilised 12v supply and you are laughing.

18 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Found 40gb for £17 (12 month) at 3, but didn't see anything good on ee - will need to contact them to get the best deals I guess.

Who does the £30 thing? The router with aerial would be worth it.

The top deal is only £16 if you have the mifi !!!! , work that one out.

The router is with 3 as well.

Some stuff can be streamed without using your allowance. Spotify & Netflix spring to mind. I don't know if it's a network thing, or a website thing.

I'm with 3. Unlimited data on my phone, 30GB hotspot, sim only, £24pm, includes 400 mins & 5000 texts.

hmm.I

I just want to use a tablet to connect to the net, watch a bit of tv and play bridge, I have had a quote from EE for a gadget, myfi thing, but other than that I don't know what I need.

I don't use a phone much, I have  payg

i do not know what tethering is, other than I want to avoid complications

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

i do not know what tethering is, other than I want to avoid complications

tethering is where you allow the device with the SIM card to become an access point for other devices.

eg: on an iPhone you turn on Personal Hotspot in settings and set a password, then another device such as a laptop can then see it as an available WiFi network and connect with the correct password to use the data connection, thus "tethering" to the phone.

always check the smallprint of your SIM deal to make sure its allowed, GiffGaff didn't allow it a while ago but do now.

10 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

tethering is where you allow the device with the SIM card to become an access point for other devices.

eg: on an iPhone you turn on Personal Hotspot in settings and set a password, then another device such as a laptop can then see it as an available WiFi network and connect with the correct password to use the data connection, thus "tethering" to the phone.

always check the smallprint of your SIM deal to make sure its allowed, GiffGaff didn't allow it a while ago but do now.

too complicated, I don't need it, I have one phone and it has buttons. 

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

too complicated, I don't need it, I have one phone and it has buttons. 

For using the tablet on the net you have two choices - a tablet with an internal SIM card with a data plan, or a mifi with an internal SIM card with data allowance which your tablet connects to via WiFi. 

• 2 weeks later...

well I've taken the plunge with three again - £13 gets me unlimited minutes, 4gb to use how I like and 5000 texts - that's my phone. (I previously had £11 for 600 mins/1gb/5000 texts)

My other sim I use in my mifi I got £30gb for £18, which is £2 less than I was paying so although not amazing, at least a small victory and offsets the extra £2 on my phone sim. It too has unlimited minutes, but I prefer to have two sims/devices rather than all in one because if one goes down/gets lost/goes in the drink then I still have the other.

I didn't know about tv Player and that is unlimited inc in my plans (they are "advance") so I'm going to see if I can get that working on Kodi :)

A small improvement at least.

On 18/10/2017 at 09:09, WotEver said:

For using the tablet on the net you have two choices - a tablet with an internal SIM card with a data plan, or a mifi with an internal SIM card with data allowance which your tablet connects to via WiFi. 

I assume I will get best results with a myfi, and it will run internet on laptop and the tablet.

What happens o the SIM in the tablet, does it need one, does it come with one as an added extra?

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I assume I will get best results with a myfi, and it will run internet on laptop and the tablet.

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What happens o the SIM in the tablet, does it need one, does it come with one as an added extra?

You don’t need one. If you already have a tablet with a sim slot you can ignore it. If you don’t yet have one they’re often cheaper without the sim slot.