Lister Air intake

Featured Posts

When my boat as resteeled, they found some serious corrosion above the air intake for the aircooled SR2 and cut it out and welded a bit in. Last week, coming out of a lock, a bit of broken piling snagged into the air intake hole, the weld went and the bit came out leaving the gap as you can see. Rather then rewelding it up, I was considering cutting down from the end of the break, enlarging the hole and then bolting a piece of perforated steel with 1cm holes  across the whole thing.

Do you reckon that would still allow enough air in, or should I just bolt some bars across to try and avoid anything else getting caught in the hole?59c806cabd2fd_airintakedamage.jpg.79a24e587ddf1d5898717df43410f733.jpg

That's a nasty hole. I think I would weld a bit in but if that means a trip to a boatyard I would probably bolt a plate in behind it, depends if you have enough electricity to drill holes. What I would do though is grind  the end of that bit of guard down to a nice slope so it doesn't catch on things.

It's obnly started catching on stuff over the last few years as the CRT maintenance has got worse. Singlehanding I have to pull the boat in at lock moorings, and loads of them have broken piling which catches in the hole. Doesn't help the state of the piling either.  I think I'll try the perforated steel plate over the whole intake and if I overheat next outing try something else!