Jabsco Par Max 2.9 woes

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

My Jabsco Par Max 2.9 has decided it is not playing ball any more and telling the fuse in the instrument panel to not cooperate any more. I had bought a spare a few months ago so swapped the pump out and all is fine and the we can now wash. Question is, what should I do with the 'dead' one?

We bought our boat in May - with this pump working but taking quite a long time to pressurise up the system (which includes a 12 litre accumulator). As it gets to pressure it would 'hunt' 10 -15 secs. Also when up to pressure the system seemed to loose a little pressure with time as when you turned a sink tap on, the pump would start almost immediately (with the new pump we get 2-3ltrs out before the pump cuts in). Once at pressure though the pump never came on unless a tap was opened so no leak in the system.

When it died yesterday, the circuit breaker triped whilst it was doing its 'hunting' routine.

Another snipit of background is that when we bought the boat, the overflow on the water tank was placed so part of the pipe dipped below the level of the tank so when overfilling, water remained in the overflow pipe causing a vacuum on the tank itself when pumping water out. Not sure if this had been going on for years (although the pump looked newish). Pumping against a vacuum cannot be good.

My guess is that it is just the valves starting to leak so it is not pumping efficiently and a slight leak back through the pump. Is it worth replacing the valves - I assume there is a kit for this(?) - or just buy another new pump as a spare? My experience with these pumps is that we went through one in 3 years on our yacht and there could be other things that will break so wasting money paying for a refurb kit. Any thoughts.

Well what a co-incidence, I have just replaced mine, this very moment, in fact having a little engine run right now to drive the hairdryer as had a little water spillage accident.

We liveaboard full time so the pump is a vital component,  I reckon its just not worth messing about inside these pumps, so sadly the one here in front of me is going into the bin. I will probably buy a new one to carry as a spare. I did suspect the accumulator might be partly to blame but the new pump looks to have fixed things. 

Mine was running on for a long long time, sounding not so regular, stopping, coming on for a bit more then stopping again. I assume its leaking valves.  

If you want mine i'm in Birmingham!

...............Dave

just to add, pump started sounding not quite spot on about 6 months ago so had the spare ready and waiting.

If you put new valves in it will probably develop a leak, just get a new one.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

I would salvage any fittings or o-rings and then bin the old one.  It sounds as if the motor has burnt out.  But it could be the pressure switch.  You could dismantle it just to find the reason for its demise.  I had to renew my pump and kept the old for spare (it had a small leak that wouldn't seal).

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, dmr said:

Well what a co-incidence, I have just replaced mine, this very moment, in fact having a little engine run right now to drive the hairdryer as had a little water spillage accident.

We liveaboard full time so the pump is a vital component,  I reckon its just not worth messing about inside these pumps, so sadly the one here in front of me is going into the bin. I will probably buy a new one to carry as a spare. I did suspect the accumulator might be partly to blame but the new pump looks to have fixed things. 

Mine was running on for a long long time, sounding not so regular, stopping, coming on for a bit more then stopping again. I assume its leaking valves.  

If you want mine i'm in Birmingham!

...............Dave

just to add, pump started sounding not quite spot on about 6 months ago so had the spare ready and waiting.

If you put new valves in it will probably develop a leak, just get a new one.

...............Dave

Yep, sounds almost the same. You've convinced me. I'll get a new one as a spare. Like you the pump is a vital component.

45 minutes ago, mross said:

I would salvage any fittings or o-rings and then bin the old one.  It sounds as if the motor has burnt out.  But it could be the pressure switch.  You could dismantle it just to find the reason for its demise.  I had to renew my pump and kept the old for spare (it had a small leak that wouldn't seal).

Now that is a good idea. I'll take it apart and have a look - and get a new one as the spare.

A long time liveaboard bloke I used to know had surflo pumps on his boat, they used to last about a year, and he kept every last one of them in case he needed any spare parts. I used to be a bit like that but since living on the boat have learned.....pump broken....new pump.....old pump in bin!  

Am temped to look inside it but think I can manage to resist.

................Dave

I recently  managed to get my pump going again after dismantling, cleaning out limescale and reassembly with new O rings on the inlet an outlet and a new O ring internally.

The pressure switch spade terminal contacts were corroded and needed a clean up - one of the connectors so badly corroded it crumbled as I removed it. 

The repaired pump has only had a few days in service but seems to be working okay . 

2 hours ago, dmr said:

A long time liveaboard bloke I used to know had surflo pumps on his boat, they used to last about a year, and he kept every last one of them in case he needed any spare parts. I used to be a bit like that but since living on the boat have learned.....pump broken....new pump.....old pump in bin!  

Am temped to look inside it but think I can manage to resist.

................Dave

It took me a bagfull of about six busted shurflos before I learnt this lesson.