Oxford Canal Napton Flight - Marston Doles

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

Not a stoppage as such, however, the bottom gate on lock 15 at Marston Doles is taking over 20 minutes to empty currently. One paddle is out of action (think it has been for many months). The other gate paddle is only opening about 1.5 turns.

CRT are aware.

Yesterday there were delays of about 3 hours going up.

this could do with a CRT notice on it not a CRT aware sign .Maybe please leave empty yes it could waste a bit of water but as only short time whilst fixed (ahem) it would be helpful.

I opened paddle before i left as i knew another boat was following me this morning.

Marston doles there was talk that a diver was going to have a look

Fenny Compton area today lots of hire boats heading back to base could be a log jam tonight

Edited by b0atman

35 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Is that the top lock?

So if you have gone all the way up, you have to reverse all the way back to the arm to wind...

Hopefully they sort it quickly.

Yes it is. There is a winding hole adjacent but, yes you've guessed, it's ABOVE the lock! Just to make people in longer boats happy, I don't think it's a full-length turning point either.

I too hope it will quickly be remedied, as it will otherwise cause chaos, though thankfully the peak hire season is now past. Now if it had happened in August, that would really have been fun...

It's the second lock down that's faulty. We came through this morning at about 11, they closed it soon after. Offside gate paddle is leaking badly - the problem this morning was not the time it took to empty, but the time it took to fill! The pound above was very low. The plan was to get someone into the water to look at it - maybe a quick fix once they really know what is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Stedman II said:

It's the second lock down that's faulty. We came through this morning at about 11, they closed it soon after. Offside gate paddle is leaking badly - the problem this morning was not the time it took to empty, but the time it took to fill! The pound above was very low. The plan was to get someone into the water to look at it - maybe a quick fix once they really know what is wrong.

Thanks for that information.