Reporting this year's findings ...

zenataomm

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, haggis said:

True, but my hand signals are so obvious that other boaters don't seem to have a problem knowing what they mean. For example, If I want them to come through the bridge hole, I point to them and then give the wave on signal. If I want them to pass on the wrong side, I point to me and indicate which side I am taking then point to them and indicate (by making a a sweeping gesture) along that side of our boat) . The secret is in the fact that they are big exaggerated arm movements. 

I agree that there are recognised sound and light signals but how many people on the canals know them? Best to use something which folk understand

haggis

Not as many as should know them. But I fail to see how then making up a set of arm signals that no one else but you knows makes the situation any better.

We have had people waving their arms around at us in a futile attempt at making some sort of signal. In that that case they just get the sound signal for I don't understand your intentions. We then signal our intentions with the right sound signal and then carry on our merry way.

7 hours ago, haggis said:

True, but my hand signals are so obvious that other boaters don't seem to have a problem knowing what they mean. For example, If I want them to come through the bridge hole, I point to them and then give the wave on signal. If I want them to pass on the wrong side, I point to me and indicate which side I am taking then point to them and indicate (by making a a sweeping gesture) along that side of our boat) . The secret is in the fact that they are big exaggerated arm movements. 

I agree that there are recognised sound and light signals but how many people on the canals know them? Best to use something which folk understand

haggis

I agree, much easier understood by others to give an exaggerated arm gesture to show what you intend to do and what you wish the other boat to do. If I'm approaching a bridge and I'm going to let an on coming boat through I will go astern and give them a big wave to carry on which they do, if I gave three short blasts they most likely will stop, thinking I am blasting my horn to tell them to get out of they way n an aggressive manner.

• Greenie 1

On 25/09/2017 at 18:02, Victor Vectis said:

They did seem to raise the paddles slowly but I was on the boat and they were on the lockside doing all the work for me. I wasn't in too much of a hurry though so I didn't mind.

One of them did mention something about a fender sized hole in the cill (on the cafe side). Once the boat was past that he raised the paddles a bit more.

We found the Volunteers to be helpful and fun on these locks. Mind you most locks my wife chats and the gates tend to get opened whenever. Wouldn't suit some here I know. Chatted to one lady on a boat last week on the T&M whose mother had just died. Couple of days later my wife had a longish chat at a lock and as they left the lock, with me on our boat waiting for her to leave said lock. I teased her as she passed asking if she always took so long working through locks? She smiled sweetly and wished me a happy journey. My wife told me a few minutes later that the lady had been explaining to her that as her husband wasn't well, would she mind sorting the paddles for her? My wife being a helpful lady replied no problem, also asked if we could help with her husband's ills? The lady then explained that hubby was on his last cruise with her, terminal brain tumour. Didnt intend to post other than about the helpful volly lockies but I've been feeling guilty at teasing this lady. It has made me realise there is no hurry, worse things can happen and not to judge Until you know all the facts.

Ian.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Same goes for arm signals as well though.

When there is a recognised system for signalling your intentions why make up another one?

Because people who have only been on a boat for a day in their whole lives don't know them. Also there  is no sound signal for "leave the gates open there is a boat coming down"

1 hour ago, ianali said:

We found the Volunteers to be helpful and fun on these locks. Mind you most locks my wife chats and the gates tend to get opened whenever. Wouldn't suit some here I know. Chatted to one lady on a boat last week on the T&M whose mother had just died. Couple of days later my wife had a longish chat at a lock and as they left the lock, with me on our boat waiting for her to leave said lock. I teased her as she passed asking if she always took so long working through locks? She smiled sweetly and wished me a happy journey. My wife told me a few minutes later that the lady had been explaining to her that as her husband wasn't well, would she mind sorting the paddles for her? My wife being a helpful lady replied no problem, also asked if we could help with her husband's ills? The lady then explained that hubby was on his last cruise with her, terminal brain tumour. Didnt intend to post other than about the helpful volly lockies but I've been feeling guilty at teasing this lady. It has made me realise there is no hurry, worse things can happen and not to judge Until you know all the facts.

Ian.

They sound like the couple mentioned in this thread:

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Same goes for arm signals as well though.

When there is a recognised system for signalling your intentions why make up another one?

Reminds me of a cartoon in a book of motoring humour which my parents had. It was titled "Headlight signals for motorists" and underneath were 6 identical pictures of a car flashing its headlights and under each a different caption, including:

"I am waiting - please come through"

"Wait! I am coming through!"

"We both have the same model of car"

"What the f@#£ do you think you are doing?"

"I've turned on the heater but it isn't working"