Plastic boats

placoman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It tends to be the decks and roofs that first alert you to delamination rather then the hull.

Roof and decks perfik, As you will discover Alfacraft make a good boat the strengthening in the uppers are the only problem its wood chip and if water get in through screw holes etc it turns back sawdust!! ask me how I know, and how long it took to sort it out:mellow:

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Roof and decks perfik, As you will discover Alfacraft make a good boat the strengthening in the uppers are the only problem its wood chip and if water get in through screw holes etc it turns back sawdust!! ask me how I know, and how long it took to sort it out:mellow:

I dont think I want to know!

29 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I dont think I want to know!

You dont so when looking at them check the roof around the engine hatch and the decks around the davets other than that they really are a well built boat, I am looking forward to the day when mine is finished and I have silent electric drive

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You dont so when looking at them check the roof around the engine hatch and the decks around the davets other than that they really are a well built boat, I am looking forward to the day when mine is finished and I have silent electric drive

We have to find one first. Considering what we are after is a popular model with very many manufactured over the years there seem to be precious few actually coming onto the market.

We might have to start looking at other models as well at this rate.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have to find one first. Considering what we are after is a popular model with very many manufactured over the years there seem to be precious few actually coming onto the market.

We might have to start looking at other models as well at this rate.

They will start coming onto the market next month in greater numbers, the hire season will be a bit quieter so older boats tend to get sold.

For the good ones you have to be fast though, my neighbour is down there now looking at some in conjuction with a holiday

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

true, but different context.

we also say 'in a car' but 'on a bus', 'on a plane', on a train'.    quite illogical.

Not really if I was talking about the interior of a boat I would say in a boat.   I wouldn’t say “the bumper in a car” either.   When travelling you say on.  When discribing things you use either on or in depending on where they or you are.

Edited by Robbo

18 hours ago, peterboat said:

They will start coming onto the market next month in greater numbers, the hire season will be a bit quieter so older boats tend to get sold.

For the good ones you have to be fast though, my neighbour is down there now looking at some in conjuction with a holiday

Yes we are down there in a couple of weeks so will be looking at plenty of the boats for sale.

We have hired one the same as we intend to buy to check that it is definitely the right boat for size and accomodation.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes we are down there in a couple of weeks so will be looking at plenty of the boats for sale.

We have hired one the same as we intend to buy to check that it is definitely the right boat for size and accomodation.

Keep an eye on Waterside Marine's website, he seems to get first dibs of ex hire boats.

Good luck with the search 

Phil 

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Good luck with your search. Yesterday I removed the lid from the poo tank floor solid but the ribs are a mess!! they left the ribs unprotected in the poo tank!! you couldnt boil the builders as soft honestly. Today will be hours of  cleaning then repairs to to the ribs, still it keeps me out of mischief, and the boat when finished will be exactly as we want it fingers crossed

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

On that one already. They are a part of Herbert Woods are they not?

Not to the best of my knowledge but I've not had anything to do with them since selling my last boat through them, they were independent at the time but in the last 7 years anything could have changed.

Phil 

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Not to the best of my knowledge but I've not had anything to do with them since selling my last boat through them, they were independent at the time but in the last 7 years anything could have changed.

Phil 

We have been around their yard a few times, round the back of Herbert Woods. In fact I'm pretty sure that the sales particulars for the boats were in the Herbert Woods office!

Could be they just use some of their yard I suppose.

A better bet could be a look up at Richardsons. They are continually selling hire boats as they build new ones. For the Broads area, they are good prices as well. Added the advantage of regular maintainance and, in some cases, have been recently re-engined.

On 24/09/2017 at 13:19, Richard10002 said:

I dont think any boat has sunk due to osmosis, although much is made of it by surveyors when buying and selling, (bit like damp proofing in houses - sometimes a big deal, but most often not). Strikes me that osmosis is mainly a cosmetic thing that a bit of grinding and filling will solve - a bit like rust on a steel boat.

Strikes me that rust on a steel boat might have long term implications, and so too with osmosis on the hull of GRP, it can take many months or even years to repair severe hull osmosis, its not a simple case of washing, sanding and filling.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, Mr Norman said:

A better bet could be a look up at Richardsons. They are continually selling hire boats as they build new ones. For the Broads area, they are good prices as well. Added the advantage of regular maintainance and, in some cases, have been recently re-engined.

Yes they are selling a fair few off now but none of the ones they have for sale are of any interest too us i'm afraid.

We are hiring one of Richardsons boats in a couple of weeks. Viscount is the same sort of boat we are after so it made sense to hire it just to make sure that it will be right for us.

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/viscount/

Its an older boat but has been relatively recently refitted. So we are interested to see how they have modernised it and what they have used to update the shower rooms in particular as the shower rooms in the boats as standard are a bit, erm, colourful shall we say!

An example of a not very modern interior in one here:

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/san-marino/

The second one is an older one with an alternative layout. But not the layout we are after we want the aft saloon variant.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Strikes me that rust on a steel boat might have long term implications, and so too with osmosis on the hull of GRP, it can take many months or even years to repair severe hull osmosis, its not a simple case of washing, sanding and filling.

Some friends of ours had to have severe osmosis repaired on their ten year old Bavaria cruiser.

The lay up was so poor that when stripped back there were large cavities in the hull.

It was repaired at Newark Marina and the boat was there for eight months for the full repair and treatment to be carried out.

Not a quick or cheap repair to have it carried out properly but at that point they had an expensive boat on their hands that was pretty much unsaleable. The problem only came to light during a pre purchase survey for a potential buyer. Two years previously when the boat was ashore there had been no signs of blistering. When lifted for the survey there was not an inch of the hull that was not suffering.

Bavaria wiped their hands of it as the hull was a few months out of its 10 year warranty.

Osmosis is the transfer of molecules of water (or other solvents) from a low concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a high concentration. So is this actually what happens in GRP or is the term osmosis more loosely used in this case?

If GRP osmosis really is osmosis, then I don't understand where the high concentration solution is to start with? Is it the material itself?

Image result for osmosis

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Osmosis is the transfer of molecules of water (or other solvents) from a low concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a high concentration. So is this actually what happens in GRP or is the term osmosis more loosely used in this case?

If GRP osmosis really is osmosis, then I don't understand where the high concentration solution is to start with? Is it the material itself?

Image result for osmosis

If the glass fibre laminate has voids in it, or there is an air bubble that has not been released in the curing gel coat prior to lay up,  then that is a site where osmosis can occur. The gel coat/laminate is therefore the permeable membrane (all plastics/thermosets are permeable to some extent). The void will contain salts from the curing agents used in the GRP (ie the cobalt accelerators) and styrenic molecules plus water that will be present on the glass. This will be a concentrated aqueous based cocktail and therefore become the high concentration solution to which the fresh water will flow. Absolutely it is osmosis.

It shouldnt however be confused with degradation of laminates caused when water gets into the laminate via gel coat damage and wicks up the glass fibres