Not Very Bridge Friendly (& Ugly To Boot !!)

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

"This craft, however, is in need of some attention in terms of readying for use'. The information of the craft, it's mechanical and internal 'fit-out', should be able to provide some idea of the base in preparing the vessel for movement on 'British Waterways.' Well-known High Street book-sellers can often have such publications or able to ask if possible to be obtained. The structure aft offers ease of boarding the vessel as well as protection from adverse weather conditions - at the same time, providing the entry to the accommodation spaces below".

"The Broker has been given the task of finding person(s) willing to undertake the necessary work, before venturing into the 'water-ways of Britian'. It is also recommended to gather as much appropriate information, prior to entering the 'water-ways' of the UK. The craft is currently with the Broker and is acting on behalf of the immediate past owner".

What goes through the mind of someone who takes a narrow boat to a coastal port well away from any access to the inland waterways? No doubt there are moorings at Newhaven you could keep one on as a liveaboard, and that's probably what this was intended to be before the work was abandoned, but there are more suitable types of boat for such a location.

I won't be offering myself as crew to move this boat to London, and I doubt that experienced lumpy water people in their right mind would attempt to get it around the Kent coast. If anyone wants to move it anywhere other than the river at Newhaven they have to allow about 1000 for road transport.

Depending on hull and engine condition, I suppose it might be good value for someone with the skills to finish the fit out who intends to live aboard somewhere with that ugly fore end hidden in some bushes. Rather than converting it so it'll fit well under a typical arched canal bridge, it would be wiser to go for a better boat in a sensible location.

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

What goes through the mind of someone who takes a narrow boat to a coastal port well away from any access to the inland waterways? No doubt there are moorings at Newhaven you could keep one on as a liveaboard, and that's probably what this was intended to be before the work was abandoned, but there are more suitable types of boat for such a location.

I do agree, I don't see the point of a narrowboat unless you need to get it through a 7 foot gap!

It's a Boughton Products hull - they only built for Rugby Boatbuilders, and the main part of the cabin is still the original wooden/fibreglass top as fitted by them at Hillmorton.

They were ballasted with gravel at that age, so it's probably rotten as a pear by now, poor old thing.

Edit to add: therefore unless it's had some major surgery its beam is more like 6'10".

Edited by Rose Narrowboats
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

It's a Boughton Products hull - they only built for Rugby Boatbuilders, and the main part of the cabin is still the original wooden/fibreglass top as fitted by them at Hillmorton.

They were ballasted with gravel at that age, so it's probably rotten as a pear by now, poor old thing.

So, a 1974 55' boat in the wrong place in need of rebottoming, refitting and a new top putting on it

Richard

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

When I lived in Sussex I remember a 40' Springer being offered for sale after it had spent some time as a liveaboard in that area. Goodness knows how it got there in the first place.