Replacement water pump

Jobsworth

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jobsworth said:

Hi, our Shurflo water pump is leaking from joint between the top (diaphragm?) and the pump body. 

Does it make sense to repair the joint or is it better to just replace the pump?

I had this problem with my Shurflow. Most recommended I replace the pump as there's no guarantee replacing the gasket will fix the leak. Very easy to replace, though I replaced it with a Whale pump.

I know it defeats the object of these pumps being ''on demand'' pumps, but if after use and your not going to open taps for some time, turn it off, crack open a tap and release the pressure and then close the tap, even if its only for the over night period. Leaving them under constant pressure seems to distort the plastic body a bit over time causing the leak. I've always done this and the last time I replaced my Surflo pump was 2004. Mind you I never shower or bath, its unatural for us hewmans. My mum said to me at an early age, ''water is bad for you,  keep drenching yourself with water washes away all those wonderful natural oils that protect things. My dad agreed with this whole heartedly as he saved quite a bit on his water rate and electricity bill for the immersion heater. After a while your stinkiness will disapear just like like magic as the natural oils take charge and smother and imprison them.   Poor pumps. How would you like it if someone came along and clamped a big crocodile clamp on your nose, stuffed a compressed air line in your mouth, filled you up with air at 35psi, clip your mouth off with a hose clip around your lips and walked away. I bet it wouldn't be long before you started to leak.  This I believe was an old WW2 Japanese method of torture only done with water,they went over the top though by jumping about on the tummy whilst under pressure. :)

Edited by bizzard

We have gone through two Shurflo pumps in three years.  Now have a Jabsco fitted, it has caused all sorts of problems, but it works well and doesn't leak.  

The problems are caused by it being slightly more powerful, which I thought was a good thing, but I have had to fit an accumulator tank, and then a bigger accumulator tank or else the shower has all sorts of issues, now I have to fit thermo valve taps as well.

Boat ownership eh??