Singing prop

Miffy

Featured Posts

I have a 57ft Norton Canes boat fitted with  Beta 43 engine and have suffered with a whine / squeel whenever the engine reaches around 1400pm for aorund two years now. After many learned people looked and listened it was finally diagnosed  as a singing prop. The good people at Norton Canes, Glascote fettled and ground the prop and succeeded in shifting the speed at which the whining started down to 1100 rpm. Having taken advice I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new prop from Crowther which was fitted at Glascote basin. As soon as I switched on the engine and move out of the dry dock I could tell straight away that there wasa real improvement. Now, having cruised down the Coventry, North Oxford, South Oxford and the Thames I can confirm that there is absolutley no whine, the boat picks up and stops perfectly and I achieve cruising speed with lower rpm. The old prop was very prone to picking up rubbish and visits down the weed hatch were almost a daily occurance. In the last month since ther new prop was fitted I have checked the weed hatch once (more out of curiosity) and found it to be totally clear.

To say I am now a fan of Crowther props would be an understatement !

I have a 57ft Norton Canes boat fitted with  Beta 43 engine and have suffered with a whine / squeel whenever the engine reaches around 1400pm for aorund two years now. After many learned people looked and listened it was finally diagnosed  as a singing prop. The good people at Norton Canes, Glascote fettled and ground the prop and succeeded in shifting the speed at which the whining started down to 1100 rpm. Having taken advice I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new prop from Crowther which was fitted at Glascote basin. As soon as I switched on the engine and move out of the dry dock I could tell straight away that there wasa real improvement. Now, having cruised down the Coventry, North Oxford, South Oxford and the Thames I can confirm that there is absolutley no whine, the boat picks up and stops perfectly and I achieve cruising speed with lower rpm. The old prop was very prone to picking up rubbish and visits down the weed hatch were almost a daily occurance. In the last month since ther new prop was fitted I have checked the weed hatch once (more out of curiosity) and found it to be totally clear.

To say I am now a fan of Crowther props would be an understatement !

• 1 year later...
On 22/09/2017 at 18:54, Scholar Gypsy said:

In case others are interested,  I  got rid of my whine with a bit of filing. 

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2016/11/05/blacking-and-no-more-singing/

Hi there, we’ve suddenly got singing after replace a bent prop with a larger new one. Is the filing something I could do through the weed hatch or does it need an electric power tool kinda thing?