Insulated Flue Pipe - New BSS Regs?

JamesMW

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

After a lot of planning, research, money saving and a complete kitchen demolition, my reconditioned solid fuel Rayburn arrives in a couple of weeks. I've moved on to sorting out the flue and the hearth and started looking at getting the bits for the flue ordered today. I'd planned on using a standard cast iron deck collar, with standard 5" mild steel pipe straight out of the existing hole in the roof from the old stove that was in the boat, although this needs to be enlarged. The new flue will need a slight off-set, but nothing too serious. 

I then thought I'd check on the BSS website to make sure that I wasn't going to fall foul of any new regulations and lo and behold their website now states that "If you’re adding a stove to your boat or replacing the existing one...":

• Use insulated chimney sections inside and outside of boat. They should be of the diameter recommended by the stove manufacturer, and never less than 100mm.
  • The chimney should be adequately supported as it passes through the cabin roof to prevent the weight being taken on the stove. 

This can be found at the following link:

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/solid-fuel-stoves/new-stove-new-chimney/

Which also then defers to this document / diagram and BS 8511:

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf

The Rayburn is replacing an existing appliance and the boat is not a new build. As it will also be providing all of the Rads and the calorifier with hot water via a gravity circuit I am not that concerned about losing the heat generated from the flue to the room which has been mentioned on other posts, but in my opinion, insulated flue looks terrible and I'm sure this means I am not able to use a standard deck collar.

Does anyone know whether this is just guidance, or whether it must now be strictly adhered to?

Many thanks in advance, 

James

The BSS website does not always distinguish clearly between things which are mandated and required to pass a BSS examination, and things you should (in the opinion of the BSS and possibly others) do because they are good practice or just plain sensible. Insulated flues do not appear to be mandated in the Examination Checking Procedures document, there is no explicit mention of them at all. Likewise (for private boats at least) there is no BSS requirement for smoke alarms or carbon monoxide alarms.

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

The BSS website does not always distinguish clearly between things which are mandated and required to pass a BSS examination

Even the Soliftec pdf itself points out that BS8511 isn’t mandatory. 

Many thanks for the replies all. I'll go ahead with the original install as planned and forget about trying to work out how to get twin wall flue out of the roof of the boat without one of those silicone whatsits and still have a removable chimney.

Thanks Again, 

James