Britain Afloat: New BBC documentary on boats starts Saturday 30 September

Ray T

Featured Posts

Having been involved in the narrow boat part of this series, I was duly impressed with the attention to detail and the demand to get facts right or as near correct as is possible. I do hope the same diligence has been used for the other chapters. Well done BBC.

• Greenie 1

I'm looking forward to the episode that deals with FMC boats because part of it was filmed on Owl.  Our very last trip on Owl before we passed it onto its new owner was filmed on the Tring Summit.

Wendy Freer, author of Women and Children on the Cut was interviewed in our back cabin. 

The narrow boat episode will currently be broadcast on Saturday 14th October 8pm nationally on BBC2.   

However it will first go out regionally on BBC1 East Midlands (Sky Channel 960) this Friday 29th at 7.30pm.  Other regions will broadcast other episodes (different boats) in the same slot.

The whole series will be available on Iplayer from September 30th.   

Enjoy! 

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ChrisJBrady said:

However the film failed to mention that the valuable issues with regards to the boats there are that they are representative of classes that are now extinct. But maybe that was too much information for Joe Public.

Valuable issues, representative of classes that are now extinct - sorry I do not understand :captain:

11 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Valuable issues, representative of classes that are now extinct - sorry I do not understand :captain:

I'm with Pete .I was under the impression they were redundant wooden/composite boats in most cases in need of some sort of docking/ repairs they were of standard design  some with bow cabins etc.

2 hours ago, ChrisJBrady said:

So why all the excitement about their discovery?

They have not been discovered as they have been known about since their sinking in Hawtrey's Pit in the 1950's, with each boat later photographed and positively identified in the early 1960's. I have the original 'British Waterways' documents that detail these boats, along with the reasons and costs of how they ended up there - as well as copies of the 1960's photographs and ground plan of where each boat lay. Any 'excitement' will be based upon enthusiastic and romantic nonsense, with the only boats of any importance here being the wooden wide boats that were unique to the Grand Junction / Grand Union Canal - all of which will be beyond reasonable restoration. All of these boats have well documented histories and reached their natural end, and may they rest in peace (if the 'enthusiasts' will let them) :captain:

Edited by pete harrison