New Liverpool boat

Roughchippy

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That wasn't my experience. Chris at NBC sent his team to fix one warranty repair on my boat and paid for another to be done by my own contractor without any problem.

That's exactly the point MtB was making, isn't it?  NBC did the warranty work themselves, not the builder.

On 22/09/2017 at 10:48, lockedout said:

As the owner of a Liverpool Boat for the last 5'ish years I can speak from experience.

The company had gone by the time we bought the boat, so I can't speak to their customer relations and after sales approach.

What I can say however is that we have been very pleased with the boat. It passes surveys and BSS exams first time, it fits into locks and is straight fore and aft.  The internal fit out is pretty good, alright I concede that there is a little bit more MDF than you might get with one of the high end builders of today, but it is robustly put together and certainly fit for purpose. 

I know there is a certain reputational issue around Liverpool Boats, but of all of the fellow owners we speak to when we are out and about, I have never met anyone who actually owns one with a bad word to say about them.

In general as an owner I agree. Of course there were a few problems as there are with any boat, but since LB produced more boats than anyone else at the time, one would expect a proportional amount of problems. Again in general, it's my observation that the people who slag off Liverpool Boats are simply repeating what they have heard others say and have no first hand experience themselves. LBs don't handle any worse than any other modern shell. I've steered Colecrafts and there's no discernible difference - all canal boats have fairly poor hydrodynamics. In terms of build quality there's also little difference between my mate's Colecraft and my LB and he agrees with me and thinks he paid too much for the name. Similarly, I remember another moorer I met at Brentford who'd boought a rather expensive Tim Tyler sailaway and it really wasn't that great - very poor sprayfoming and some of the steelwork was as basic as my boat. You don't always get what you pay for and he was a bit disappointed.    

7 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

That's exactly the point MtB was making, isn't it?  NBC did the warranty work themselves, not the builder.

Ah ok, I read it wrong, my mistake. But surely as the final seller NBC were responsible for the warranty work for their customers, not the builder. There is nothing surprising about that to me - which is probably why I misunderstood MtB's point.

Edited by blackrose

Another happy Liverpool boat owner! A 2006 hull (although we bought her second hand in 2010). Can confirm the hull is straight and fits easily in all the notoriously narrow locks (eg Hurleston and Uppermill) and also seems to handle fine (although I can't really compare to many other types of boat here). Had a full survey earlier this year and no problems