overplating the bottom plate in 6mm

lpp2

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Yes Kedian does this work as his business.  He's based at Stockton near the GU.

Assuming a narrow boat, I'd suggest a price of £500 to £1000 per metre of length.

IIRC Kedian is near but not on the canal so your boat would have to be transported by road anyway.

£170 per foot according to his website.

Often when a boat gets to the stage of needing a new bottom the sides are not far away from needing attention the boat will need lifting or dry docking and each time is costly to weld on a new base plate without sides take a full weld all round this weld would be put to better use to put on at least footings if not new sides 

the price of 170 a food includes Three coats of bitumen and raising the weed hatch 

Fresh air isn't.   Stuff like Jam goes bad if you leave the lid off the jar and let the fresh air in.  This happens to boats steel base plates too, in my humble opinion. Each time you dry dock or haul it out the fresh air oxygen gets at your wet, damp steel bottom and speeds up the rust and corrosion rate.    Fresh air is not good for anything.

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

That is lovely looking work. Completely changes my view of over plating. I would not be put off buying an overplated boat if these guys had done the work.

We had a thread recently regarding a surveyors view on overplating, an entirely biased (in my view) account based on worst case scenario stuff and completely disregarding any possibility that renovating a steel boat this way could be regarded as anything other than a bodge.  Unfortunately there is evidence about to lend support to this notion, I've seen it myself, but I've also see work like Martin's where the overplate has been done with at least as much skill and care, if not more, than the original build.  

I've said it before, the cheapest way into narrowboat ownership is to buy a "write off" that needs overplating the owner will be glad to see the back of it but it can be made sound at quite reasonable expense.  Yet most folk looking for a cheap boat would rather have a sound hull needing an internal refit.    

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

That is lovely looking work. Completely changes my view of over plating. I would not be put off buying an overplated boat if these guys had done the work.

36 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

We had a thread recently regarding a surveyors view on overplating, an entirely biased (in my view) account based on worst case scenario stuff and completely disregarding any possibility that renovating a steel boat this way could be regarded as anything other than a bodge.  Unfortunately there is evidence about to lend support to this notion, I've seen it myself, but I've also see work like Martin's where the overplate has been done with at least as much skill and care, if not more, than the original build.  

I've said it before, the cheapest way into narrowboat ownership is to buy a "write off" that needs overplating the owner will be glad to see the back of it but it can be made sound at quite reasonable expense.  Yet most folk looking for a cheap boat would rather have a sound hull needing an internal refit.    

Thank you for the very kind comments we try and do the very best we can for every customer 

Over the years that I have 'inhabited' this forum, the name 'Kedian' has cropped up from time to time, more frequently perhaps as the supply of used boats diminishes and purchasers have to resort to what amounts to resurrection rather than repair.

Until now I've not seen any examples of his work. What really impresses me above all the photos (as if they weren't impressive enough) is this one -

IMG_0863.JPG

probably included as a rejoinder to a quip...

Look how cleanly he has cut the waste steel all around the hull. Even with modern equipment there's a helluva lot of skill to do that cleanly.

'We' must treasure those craft persons left in these days of mass production and cheap imports.

My hull was built with individual care by a small (in number) builder - so hopefully when I come to sell the steelwork shouldn't need replating - but I know where to direct a purchaser.

Well done!

No oxyacetylene gas mix 

On 23/09/2017 at 19:22, OldGoat said:

Over the years that I have 'inhabited' this forum, the name 'Kedian' has cropped up from time to time, more frequently perhaps as the supply of used boats diminishes and purchasers have to resort to what amounts to resurrection rather than repair.

Until now I've not seen any examples of his work. What really impresses me above all the photos (as if they weren't impressive enough) is this one -

IMG_0863.JPG

probably included as a rejoinder to a quip...

Look how cleanly he has cut the waste steel all around the hull. Even with modern equipment there's a helluva lot of skill to do that cleanly.

'We' must treasure those craft persons left in these days of mass production and cheap imports.

My hull was built with individual care by a small (in number) builder - so hopefully when I come to sell the steelwork shouldn't need replating - but I know where to direct a purchaser.

Well done!

Thank you for your kind comments much appreciated