CRT Annual report.

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

It can say what it likes but how many here think the system is in better shape than a few years ago.

Some notable eye-raising stats:

visitor numbers per month - yawn!

Unplanned closures - when is an unplanned closure not an unplanned closure?
The figure for just 'closures' or 'stoppages' would be more revealing I suspect. As an example the Huddersfield Narrow has been struggling with water levels most of this year due to leaks. Last August CaRT announced a closure from 9th October (why not November?), is that planned or unplanned? The canal will still be closed during the boating season for 11 days.

And yes they are bound to spend more on repairs 'cos there's no bugger walking the lengths fixing minor issues.

Still some nice pretty pictures to keep the followers happy (see the world's only happy fisherman well worth the effort and Richard at Bingley 5 rise pretending you can turn those handlebar paddles with just one hand - ho ho ho)

6 hours ago, Midnight said:

It can say what it likes but how many here think the system is in better shape than a few years ago.

Some notable eye-raising stats:

visitor numbers per month - yawn!

Unplanned closures - when is an unplanned closure not an unplanned closure?
The figure for just 'closures' or 'stoppages' would be more revealing I suspect. As an example the Huddersfield Narrow has been struggling with water levels most of this year due to leaks. Last August CaRT announced a closure from 9th October (why not November?), is that planned or unplanned? The canal will still be closed during the boating season for 11 days.

And yes they are bound to spend more on repairs 'cos there's no bugger walking the lengths fixing minor issues.

Still some nice pretty pictures to keep the followers happy (see the world's only happy fisherman well worth the effort and Richard at Bingley 5 rise pretending you can turn those handlebar paddles with just one hand - ho ho ho)

It doesn't help when people use the term " Boating season " my licence is for 365 days and that's how many days per year my boat is in use. If we are not careful and the term " Boating season " is taken for granted CART will simply close the canal for several months each year and that would probably be at the best boating time of the year in the winter and that would pee me and many many others off.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It doesn't help when people use the term " Boating season " my licence is for 365 days and that's how many days per year my boat is in use. If we are not careful and the term " Boating season " is taken for granted CART will simply close the canal for several months each year and that would probably be at the best boating time of the year in the winter and that would pee me and many many others off.

What do we call it?
The days between November 1st & Easter are clearly the 'maintenance season'
What about the 'not supposed to be closed season'?

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Looks like theyve already shut the Leicester Ring until March 16th 2018

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Looks like theyve already shut the Leicester Ring until March 16th 2018

Yes quite. As you and I both know if we all start using the term " season " when there clearly isn't one as boating is and always was a 365 day per year persuit the powers that be would love to close down for six months and call it the closed season. Winter boating is way better than summer and many of us don't want to lose it. A much more sensible approach would be a maintainance programme over the full twelve months printed 12 months before to give hire companies chance to alter bookings. Hire companies do manage bookings through the winter anyway. If work was done in better warmer weather many aspects could be done to a greater standard and in a shorter timescale anyway. Of course there are always going to be emergency stoppages at whatever time of year.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

(snip)

If work was done in better warmer weather many aspects could be done to a greater standard and in a shorter timescale anyway. Of course there are always going to be emergency stoppages at whatever time of year.

Fully agree with that. Many more hours of daylight, for a start!

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes quite. As you and I both know if we all start using the term " season " when there clearly isn't one as boating is and always was a 365 day per year persuit the powers that be would love to close down for six months and call it the closed season. Winter boating is way better than summer and many of us don't want to lose it. A much more sensible approach would be a maintainance programme over the full twelve months printed 12 months before to give hire companies chance to alter bookings. Hire companies do manage bookings through the winter anyway. If work was done in better warmer weather many aspects could be done to a greater standard and in a shorter timescale anyway. Of course there are always going to be emergency stoppages at whatever time of year.

Given the amount of "Emergency Stoppages" we've had this "summer" that's not a bad idea - wonder if CaRT would be interested?